re meat pies

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Les, I would like to give you a hint to make fantastic scones. Whatever recipe you use (Julie's looks good) handle the dough as little as you can - just enough very gentle mixing to combine the ingredients. I don't use a scone cutter. I just gently pat the dough into a long very fat sausage shape, then cut into discs. Too much handling of the dough makes the scones tough. Try Julie's recipe and let us know how you go. 🙂

That's true for regular scones as too much handling toughens the gluten but it might not be as critical for gluten free. 

I don't use a cutter either, I just pat it into a rectangle and cut it into squares, which is what my mum always did. They always come out in weird shapes though as the cut side rises less than the uncut side. I like your sausage shape idea, I'll try that next time. 😊

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't use a cutter either, I just pat it into a rectangle and cut it into squares, which is what my mum always did. They always come out in weird shapes though as the cut side rises less than the uncut side. I like your sausage shape idea, I'll try that next time. 😊

The sausage-shape was the way my Mum made scones. Another trick for a regular scone recipe (not the lemonade ones) is to use sour milk or add a tiny amount of lemon juice to the milk to sour it. The lemonade recipe was probably invented to achieve a similar fluffy result.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I recall that years ago on P&O cruises, their scones were so hard and tough, I reckoned that if pirates attacked the ship, the crew should arm the passengers with scones to fight the attackers off. 🤣

I've had some hard, tough scones on Princess at times. I avoid them now, just in case.

56 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's true for regular scones as too much handling toughens the gluten but it might not be as critical for gluten free. 

My grandmother who made the best scones used to use a glass to cut scones.  

49 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, rock cakes are much nicer.

I absolutely adore rock cakes, and years ago used to make them.   Doubt if I could find that particular recipe now.  Braidwood Bakery makes a very respectable rock cake.  We sometimes share one with a coffee on our way to the coast. 

• Like 1

Well how do we pronounce the venerable accompaniment to tea? In Canada many would call them "bisquits" but we all know that bisquits are cookies 😁. So then we have scone, scon and scoon. My grandmother who was born in Lancashire called them scons and she put raisins in them 😒. Lynn calls them scones because that's what they call them in the part of Scotland that she visited. On television and in a couple of establishments here (run by people with a deep Scottish brogue) it is scoon. Whatever you call them when prepared correctly and served while still warm from the oven they are a tasty treat.

• Like 1

"Scons", as in "icons"  generally in Australia, although I have occasionally heard "scones", as in "bones".   A beautiful Scottish brogue would narurally pronounce them "scoons", as in "spoons".  And yes, Lyle, in England we've enjoyed what we call "fruit scons" (but written "scones").  Way too confusing, yes?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I absolutely adore rock cakes, and years ago used to make them.   Doubt if I could find that particular recipe now.  Braidwood Bakery makes a very respectable rock cake.  We sometimes share one with a coffee on our way to the coast. 

This is my recipe, from the cookbook I grew up with in NZ - the Edmonds Cookbook.

My secret tweak is the cinnamon, although lately I've been using 1/4 tsp mixed spice and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.

20220801_102927~2.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is my recipe, from the cookbook I grew up with in NZ - the Edmonds Cookbook.

My secret tweak is the cinnamon, although lately I've been using 1/4 tsp mixed spice and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.

20220801_102927~2.jpg

Thank you Julie🙏🏻  I’ll be trying this very soon.

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

"Scons", as in "icons"  generally in Australia, although I have occasionally heard "scones", as in "bones".   A beautiful Scottish brogue would narurally pronounce them "scoons", as in "spoons".  And yes, Lyle, in England we've enjoyed what we call "fruit scons" (but written "scones").  Way too confusing, yes?

All this pronunciation debate “hascone” right past me. 

• Haha 1