re meat pies

4 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I'm pretty sure the "Woke mob" (whoever they are) have no problem with fairy floss. However if you wanted to call people "fairies", they they may object.

For now, I remember when calling them Queer was wrong now it’s part of LGB etc etc etc.

47 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Fairy penguins were re-named 'Little Penguins'. 😁

Their scientific genus name, Eudyptula, means 'good little diver,' which they are.These common names come from their small size, the smallest of any of the world's penguins, and the distinctive slate-blue or indigo-blue coloration of the feathers on the top of their body.

Australians call it the Fairy Penguin.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Their scientific genus name, Eudyptula, means 'good little diver,' which they are.These common names come from their small size, the smallest of any of the world's penguins, and the distinctive slate-blue or indigo-blue coloration of the feathers on the top of their body.

Australians call it the Fairy Penguin.

It was fairy penguin when we were watching these gorgeous little creatures emerge from the water at dusk on Phillip Island.  That’s how the rangers described them.  That was just three years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Fairy penguins were re-named 'Little Penguins'. 😁

Don’t  get me started.
Coon cheese will always be Coon cheese. Will never buy the the renamed one on principle. 😡😡😡😡

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

It was fairy penguin when we were watching these gorgeous little creatures emerge from the water at dusk on Phillip Island.  That’s how the rangers described them.  That was just three years ago.

I was 'instructed' several years ago that the birds had to be called 'little penguins'. On the internet, the info sites all refer to little penguins. Personally, I like the old name of fairy penguin.

10 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Don’t  get me started.
Coon cheese will always be Coon cheese. Will never buy the the renamed one on principle. 😡😡😡😡

Same here mate, never bought it since it became Cheerio what a joke. I buy Mainland or Bega now.

Edited by NSWP

50 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

The rangers must have been Australian then

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Don’t  get me started.

People can call it whatever they like. There is no-one coming after you if you call it a fairy penguin. Some people call it little penguin, some blue penguin. Nobody cares. It's one of those fantasies that shock jocks get worked up about that doesn't actually exist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

People can call it whatever they like. There is no-one coming after you if you call it a fairy penguin. Some people call it little penguin, some blue penguin. Nobody cares. It's one of those fantasies that shock jocks get worked up about that doesn't actually exist.

If no one cares why do “they”  want to everybody else to change what they call something ? 🌈🧚🏻‍♀️ etc

To me Fairy 🐧 will always be Fairy Penguins, same as Coon Cheese will always be Coon Cheese.

Apparently you cannot call Tooheys Old, Black beer any more. The world has gone mad, blame the do gooders.

Edited by NSWP

I agree, and offense is more about intent than a word that implies different meanings. I still rest my feet on one of the foot thingies, by I would never address a person that way.

This branding stuff is a non-issue to me, and the makers can call it what they want, after all, it is their product. Still, I haven't bought Coon/Cheers since it became foreign owned, so the name change is far less relevant to me than where the profits flow.

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

Same here mate, never bought it since it became Cheerio what a joke. I buy Mainland or Bega now.

Aren't Cheerios a brand of breakfast cereal?

I never really understood how "coon" was an issue in Australia especially being it was a family name (as I understand it). I always thought of that as more likely to be an offensive word in North America. Although it was always a common term for a racoon when I was young lots of kids had a "coon skin hat" like Daniel Boone did on the TV show. Had the word become a racial epithet in Australia?

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

I agree, and offense is more about intent than a word that implies different meanings. I still rest my feet on one of the foot thingies, by I would never address a person that way.

This branding stuff is a non-issue to me, and the makers can call it what they want, after all, it is their product. Still, I haven't bought Coon/Cheers since it became foreign owned, so the name change is far less relevant to me than where the profits flow.

I think perhaps you may want to rethink the "foreign owned" thing. You should look at the jobs in Australia created by the enterprise in question. Chances are that if the business was not bought by a foreign company (I think in this case Saputo which is a Canadian company) the whole operation may have closed down taking all those jobs (including the dairies who supplied the milk) with them.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Aren't Cheerios a brand of breakfast cereal?

I never really understood how "coon" was an issue in Australia especially being it was a family name (as I understand it). I always thought of that as more likely to be an offensive word in North America. Although it was always a common term for a racoon when I was young lots of kids had a "coon skin hat" like Daniel Boone did on the TV show. Had the word become a racial epithet in Australia?

Clarification Lyle...Coon cheese was renamed Cheers not Cheerio.   Coon was longtime a slang word for dark skinned person, will leave it at that, don't want to offend anybody.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Had the word become a racial epithet in Australia?

Yes. It was brought over by US troops in WW2. The company changed the name when they realised that it was not a great idea to insult part of your customer base, however unintentionally.

11 hours ago, gbenjo said:

If no one cares why do “they”  want to everybody else to change what they call something ?

They don't. Name one gay person or organisation who cares what fairy penguins are called.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

They don't. Name one gay person or organisation who cares what fairy penguins are called.

That's totally ridiculous! Changing the name of a bird because part of the name is misused elsewhere.

And what are they going to do about fairy stories that little girls love? Are they going to change the name of these mythical creatures? 

What about fairy godmothers?