re meat pies

14 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well how do we pronounce the venerable accompaniment to tea? In Canada many would call them "bisquits" but we all know that bisquits are cookies 😁. So then we have scone, scon and scoon. My grandmother who was born in Lancashire called them scons and she put raisins in them 😒. Lynn calls them scones because that's what they call them in the part of Scotland that she visited. On television and in a couple of establishments here (run by people with a deep Scottish brogue) it is scoon. Whatever you call them when prepared correctly and served while still warm from the oven they are a tasty treat.

We say biscuits, Lyle, although cookies are creeping into the language.  Sneaky, creepy cookies😒

10 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

We say biscuits, Lyle, although cookies are creeping into the language.  Sneaky, creepy cookies😒

I think most people here say cookies, although we have quite an array of products from the UK or foods made in Canada with UK origins. I think the Peek Freans Bisquits we get here are made in Canada by Christies.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think most people here say cookies, although we have quite an array of products from the UK or foods made in Canada with UK origins. I think the Peek Freans Bisquits we get here are made in Canada by Christies.

We have them here on  CC..but we spell it ..kookies 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The Aussie spelling is Biscuit. The "o" in the edible 'scone', is the same as the "o" in 'on', but the "o" in Scone the town, is the same as the "o" in 'bone'. And people wonder why the English language is so difficult.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

As long as you don't need gravy with your biscuits.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have tried that American favourite. It's okay but I wouldn't be sad if I didn't have it again.

Also tried it once at our hotel buffet in Vegas. Edible, but much nicer things around at breakfast time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have tried that American favourite. It's okay but I wouldn't be sad if I didn't have it again.

That American 'white gravy' is gross, I have tried it, give me Gravox or Bisto, lol.

Re Cookies/Biscuits. Have you noice how most young Aussies now refer to biscuits as cookies. We are becoming americanised, god help us.  What amuses me is that Americans call fizzy soft drink, whatever flavour - 'soda.' Soda to me is aerated soda water like I have with my Tullamore Dew.

And don't get me started on the America Entree being the Main course. Confused me when I first went to the Land of Tipping and on the American ships.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That American 'white gravy' is gross, I have tried it, give me Gravox or Bisto, lol.

Re Cookies/Biscuits. Have you noice how most young Aussies now refer to biscuits as cookies. We are becoming americanised, god help us.  What amuses me is that Americans call fizzy soft drink, whatever flavour - 'soda.' Soda to me is aerated soda water like I have with my Tullamore Dew.

And don't get me started on the America Entree being the Main course. Confused me when I first went to the Land of Tipping and on the American ships.

I notice that with the grandkids, Cookies, Pop, Fries, Corn Dogs, and a few others I can’t think of now I try to get them back on track but as they live with their mum I think it is a wasted effort.

19 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I like biscuits as well as cookies

Don't mention cookies when with South African mixed company, it's the nickname for a certain part of a female. Great laughter could be heard when the Muppets were on with the Cookie Monster.

Edited by Russell21

On 8/1/2022 at 12:20 AM, Blackduck59 said:

Well how do we pronounce the venerable accompaniment to tea? In Canada many would call them "bisquits" but we all know that bisquits are cookies 😁. So then we have scone, scon and scoon. My grandmother who was born in Lancashire called them scons and she put raisins in them 😒. Lynn calls them scones because that's what they call them in the part of Scotland that she visited. On television and in a couple of establishments here (run by people with a deep Scottish brogue) it is scoon. Whatever you call them when prepared correctly and served while still warm from the oven they are a tasty treat.

In my family they are called scons.  My grandmother used to make pumpkin scones, date scones and plain scones.  All whipped up anytime unexpected visitors arrived.  

26 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I always assumed fairy floss came from England.  Cotton Candy,  Cotton floss overseas, but no fairy floss.  

It's cotton candy in this part of Canada.

@GUT2407Fries and chips can get confusing around here. Fries are those thin cut semi crisp potato things you get from the fast food places like McDonalds. Chips could be those thick cut potato treats that are cut fresh from real potatoes and blanched in hot oil before being rested and fried to a crisp outside and soft inside golden brown. These are most often found in your quality fish & chip shops; or they could be those thin sliced potato disks found in a bag and called "crisps" in the UK.

What do they call "corndogs" in OZ? Snags on a stick?

Sweet fizzy drinks are usually called "pop" around here and "soda" in the US. Like @NSWP says soda is flavourless bubbly water you may add to a cocktail.

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's cotton candy in this part of Canada.

@GUT2407Fries and chips can get confusing around here. Fries are those thin cut semi crisp potato things you get from the fast food places like McDonalds. Chips could be those thick cut potato treats that are cut fresh from real potatoes and blanched in hot oil before being rested and fried to a crisp outside and soft inside golden brown. These are most often found in your quality fish & chip shops; or they could be those thin sliced potato disks found in a bag and called "crisps" in the UK.

What do they call "corndogs" in OZ? Snags on a stick?

Sweet fizzy drinks are usually called "pop" around here and "soda" in the US. Like @NSWP says soda is flavourless bubbly water you may add to a cocktail.

Here chips can be what you might call crisps, those thin things like Maccas sell, or the thicker cut chips you mention, with straight cut or crinkle cut, but we always seem to know which is which. We have another potato disc that is large battered and deep fried, now if we start on names for it we will need a whole new thread, Potato Scallop, Potato Cake, Potato Fritter.

Corn dogs are either Pluto Pups or s sold at an Agricultural Show (think fare) may be called Dagwood dogs. fizzy drinks are normally soft drink, though normally ordered by name, Coke, Pepsi, Lemonade (think Sprite or 7up May be your closest) as Les said Soda would normally be what you show your scotch so you can pretend to not drink it straight.

• Like 1

Lets not forget the British battered sav, which is pretty much the same but without the stick. My local takeaway used to do those too, a long time ago. Maybe the saveloy was also a better quality "dog" than the generic frankfurts here which are pretty boring. 

The main reason they aren't corn dogs here, is that we tend to coat just about anything in some kind of wheat batter, as wheat is everywhere here. Beats me why Disney and the syndicate for the Blondie cartoon haven't been chasing either brand through the courts.

A lot of the past soft drink makers also used to call them cordials, but this is now pretty much only a description for concentrated flavour syrups.

I haven't taken much notice of the spun sugar, but it was always fairy floss as a kid. I did see a maple syrup flavoured one when we were in Canada. Is that common?

58 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Lets not forget the British battered sav, which is pretty much the same but without the stick. My local takeaway used to do those too, a long time ago. Maybe the saveloy was also a better quality "dog" than the generic frankfurts here which are pretty boring. 

The main reason they aren't corn dogs here, is that we tend to coat just about anything in some kind of wheat batter, as wheat is everywhere here. Beats me why Disney and the syndicate for the Blondie cartoon haven't been chasing either brand through the courts.

A lot of the past soft drink makers also used to call them cordials, but this is now pretty much only a description for concentrated flavour syrups.

I haven't taken much notice of the spun sugar, but it was always fairy floss as a kid. I did see a maple syrup flavoured one when we were in Canada. Is that common?

Pluto should be a Frankfurt on a stick, battered Sav as savaloy, often split in half, with no stick, I actually prefer the battered Sav. Pluto I hav3 tomato sauce, Sav BBQ,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I notice that with the grandkids, Cookies, Pop, Fries, Corn Dogs, and a few others I can’t think of now I try to get them back on track but as they live with their mum I think it is a wasted effort.

I still like going to the pictures to see a film🥰