re meat pies

7 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Now that reminds me of the same trip, when after Scotland, we caught the ferry to Belfast and met friends for a driving tour of beautiful Ireland.  A few days later, we stopped for morning coffee at a delightful cafe in Donegal.  We ordered three coffees, and a tea (English breakfast).  The friendly waitress duly arrived with three coffees, a tea, and a huge plate of eggs, bacon, sausages and beans.

That is so funny.  Did you eat your English breakfast?  I've had some funny experiences ordering tea.  In London, I ordered a cup of tea.  It arrived a cup of milk tea.  When I said I wanted black tea, the lady snapped I should have said back tea.  Lesson learned.  In Louisiana, USA we ordered a cup of tea.  Imagine our shock when iced tea, with ice cubes, arrived!

On my first trip to UK, I was the sole driver, with two non drivers.  I also drove from Scotland to Belfast. Being a tiny car, they squashed my car on last, partly on the flap!  Being the time of the Troubles, it was less expensive to leave our car in Londonderry and hire another car to tour Ireland.  Getting used to the new clutch, I kangaroo hopped into Ireland.  I always remember picking up an elderly gentleman, who kept saying "begorrah, tis the end of my days".  We ended up going to a local show with this old man, such a fun day.  The joys of independent travel.  We've driven around Ireland a few times since, the last for a daughter's schoolies.  The last cruise I seriously looked at booking was around Ireland, but I got cold feet because of Covid. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

That is so funny.  Did you eat your English breakfast?  I've had some funny experiences ordering tea.  In London, I ordered a cup of tea.  It arrived a cup of milk tea.  When I said I wanted black tea, the lady snapped I should have said back tea.  Lesson learned.  In Louisiana, USA we ordered a cup of tea.  Imagine our shock when iced tea, with ice cubes, arrived!

On my first trip to UK, I was the sole driver, with two non drivers.  I also drove from Scotland to Belfast. Being a tiny car, they squashed my car on last, partly on the flap!  Being the time of the Troubles, it was less expensive to leave our car in Londonderry and hire another car to tour Ireland.  Getting used to the new clutch, I kangaroo hopped into Ireland.  I always remember picking up an elderly gentleman, who kept saying "begorrah, tis the end of my days".  We ended up going to a local show with this old man, such a fun day.  The joys of independent travel.  We've driven around Ireland a few times since, the last for a daughter's schoolies.  The last cruise I seriously looked at booking was around Ireland, but I got cold feet because of Covid. 

No, she ate it!  So funny:  when she realised the mistake, she said, "Don't you be worrying.  I'll heat it for my lunch".  She wouldn't take our money for it.  We had some hilarious days in Ireland.  On the way from Donegal to Dingle, we stopped for some delicious seafood chowder in a quaint pub.  The chowder is always so yummy in Ireland.  This was when we and our friends had very young grandchildren, and they loved receiving postcards, even though it was already in the days of emails.  Denny, the Publican, came and sat with us because he heard our Aussie accents and had family living here.  He asked Bev, our friend, if she would know "his Cathie".  Sadly, she had to answer no, but she could still meet her one day.  Then Bev asked if the Post Office she'd spotted nearby would sell stamps for our postcards.  Denny replied (and we still all chuckle about it):  "It would be an old stamp ye'd buy there.  It's been closed for years".  They are the most wonderful, warm and friendly people.

30 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have a full English brekkie every morning on the ships and when I go to UK.   Here my favourite is ye olde mixed grill, some country pubs still have them. Lubbly Jubbly.

grill.jpg.44feb8382b60591fc165e5f7ccb91009.jpg

It does indeed look Lubbly Jubbly 😆

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

No, she ate it!  So funny:  when she realised the mistake, she said, "Don't you be worrying.  I'll heat it for my lunch".  She wouldn't take our money for it.  We had some hilarious days in Ireland.  On the way from Donegal to Dingle, we stopped for some delicious seafood chowder in a quaint pub.  The chowder is always so yummy in Ireland.  This was when we and our friends had very young grandchildren, and they loved receiving postcards, even though it was already in the days of emails.  Denny, the Publican, came and sat with us because he heard our Aussie accents and had family living here.  He asked Bev, our friend, if she would know "his Cathie".  Sadly, she had to answer no, but she could still meet her one day.  Then Bev asked if the Post Office she'd spotted nearby would sell stamps for our postcards.  Denny replied (and we still all chuckle about it):  "It would be an old stamp ye'd buy there.  It's been closed for years".  They are the most wonderful, warm and friendly people.

Yes, Ireland is a gift which keeps on giving.  It continues to bring a smile to my face.  

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

Chips, mozzarella, chicken gravy with optional garnishes like grilled onion & bacon bits? It was like chips and gravy on steroids.

Sorry mate, it's not chicken gravy and the cheese isn't mozzarella, it's cheese curd. The most common add on is smoked beef. There are tons of variations though including butter chicken instead of the gravy but they all have the cheese curd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Exactly, prefer my chips without gravy. Salt and vinegar suits me better.

A great way to enjoy chips especially for fish and chips. Malt vinegar and salt, although I do enjoy ketchup or mayonnaise as well.

I do enjoy a well prepared poutine though, but understand how many people don't enjoy it (including my mother in law).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sorry mate, it's not chicken gravy and the cheese isn't mozzarella, it's cheese curd. The most common add on is smoked beef. There are tons of variations though including butter chicken instead of the gravy but they all have the cheese curd.

They said it was mozzarella curd in the ones we had. Correct about the gravy, it was made of a mix of beef & chicken stock. Still, I don't know what is authentic and what various food places make that isn't. When I get a cheap knock-off at a takeaway here, I get chicken gravy as the beef is just too rich in flavour.

For the add-ons, we put them on ourselves from a side trolley. We picked the bacon & onion. What I recall most was it was Whistler, it was freezing, and it was beautiful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

A great way to enjoy chips especially for fish and chips. Malt vinegar and salt, although I do enjoy ketchup or mayonnaise as well.

I do enjoy a well prepared poutine though, but understand how many people don't enjoy it (including my mother in law).

I quite love salt & malt vinegar on chips as well, and more especially on freshly fried potato scallops.

Or is that potato cakes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I quite love salt & malt vinegar on chips as well, and more especially on freshly fried potato scallops.

Or is that potato cakes?

There is confusion across what things are called in different places,

For me you get.

• Scallops (seafood), sometimes crumbed or battered and deep fried.
  • Potato scallops, thin slice of potato that is dipped in batter and then deep fried.
  • Potato cakes which are usually mashed Potato discs perhaps 15-20mm thick deep fried.
  • Fish cakes, like the Potato cakes but with fish and are crumbed before being deep fried.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

There is confusion across what things are called in different places,

For me you get.

• Scallops (seafood), sometimes crumbed or battered and deep fried.
  • Potato scallops, thin slice of potato that is dipped in batter and then deep fried.
  • Potato cakes which are usually mashed Potato discs perhaps 15-20mm thick deep fried.
  • Fish cakes, like the Potato cakes but with fish and are crumbed before being deep fried.

They are just scallops here. When travelling, I am always careful to check though. Our local also does sweet potato scallops and pumpkin scallops, quite nice.

• Like 1

Fritter:

"A small cake of batter, sometimes containing corn, fruit, clams, or some other ingredient, fried in deep fat or sautéed."

Scallop:

Apart from the mollusc the only other food-related definition is: "a thin slice of meat, usually further flattened by pounding with a mallet or other implement." 

Cake:

The food-related definitions are:

"1. a sweet, baked, breadlike food, made with or without shortening, and usually containing flour, sugar, baking powder or soda, eggs, and liquid flavoring.

2. a flat, thin mass of bread, especially unleavened bread.

3. pancake; griddlecake.

4. a shaped or molded mass of other food:a fish cake."

But the definition of fritter refers to it as a cake.

So:

Fritter is the most accurate

Cake is probably acceptable

Scallop might be used if the potato slice was fried without batter but mostly it's just confusing! 

😊😊😊