re meat pies

3 hours ago, ekka49 said:

Glasgow has the best Indian restaurants in the UK. So, I'm told.

Yes, I also love curry sauce on my chips.  

3 hours ago, ekka49 said:

Glasgow has the best Indian restaurants in the UK. So, I'm told.

Yes, I also love curry sauce on my chips.  

When I was last in Glasgow I had a delicious curry lunchtime special at an Indian Restaurant.  I didn't realise that Glasgow was known for good Indian food.  Whilst Birmingham is well known for its many baltic restaurants.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When I was last in Glasgow I had a delicious curry lunchtime special at an Indian Restaurant.  I didn't realise that Glasgow was known for good Indian food.  Whilst Birmingham is well known for its many baltic restaurants.  

Both wonderful cities, also with truly good, genuine Italian fare

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When I was last in Glasgow I had a delicious curry lunchtime special at an Indian Restaurant.  I didn't realise that Glasgow was known for good Indian food.  Whilst Birmingham is well known for its many balti restaurants.  

oops balti (spellcheck)

24 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Haggis Curry? Lol

• Haha 2

Prior and post our recent cruise, we stayed at the Mercantile Hotel at the Rocks. It is a cracking Irish Pub with great live music all weekend, the rocks markets straight outside the front door and a menu that included chips with curry sauce! My travel buddy tried them and loved it, I still prefer gravy on my chips lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

Prior and post our recent cruise, we stayed at the Mercantile Hotel at the Rocks. It is a cracking Irish Pub with great live music all weekend, the rocks markets straight outside the front door and a menu that included chips with curry sauce! My travel buddy tried them and loved it, I still prefer gravy on my chips lol

I hadn't heard of chips with curry sauce, nor gravy.  However, I've seen chips with mayonnaise in Europe and vinegar in England.  Ive had haggis in Scotland.  

Sauce, gravy or mayonnaise for chips should always be served on the side, for dipping, otherwise the chips just go soggy. I like Dijonnaise - a blend of Dijon mustard and mayonnaise.

Some years ago a local food court outlet used to make matcha chips - chips dusted with green tea powder, with curry sauce for dipping. They were sooooo yummy. They also made ramen burgers - rounds of ramen noodles instead of buns - and also bao buns. Unfortunately they were all a bit too expensive so they didn't last long.

• Like 2

greggs.jpg.de0cfc56caae998ef8251b886dbcdbb6.jpg

25 minutes ago, fairywren said:

I wonder if any expat Scots here remember Scotch pies? We can't get them locally so I started making them myself. They were traditionally mutton but I use lamb. So tasty.

thumbnail_20220610_180551.thumb.jpg.fb30385b4548806585e3a05dabecceb9.jpg

Greggs in UK have them.

1399038756_th(1)pie.jpg.d5df6b4652eba65e8c2fc977c72b02aa.jpg

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, fairywren said:

I wonder if any expat Scots here remember Scotch pies? We can't get them locally so I started making them myself. They were traditionally mutton but I use lamb. So tasty.

thumbnail_20220610_180551.thumb.jpg.fb30385b4548806585e3a05dabecceb9.jpg

I prefer the English pork pie. The best is from the town of Melton Mowbray

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ekka49 said:

I prefer the English pork pie. The best is from the town of Melton Mowbray

Went there a few years ago, it was a Sunday and ye olde pork pie shoppe was Closed !!  Coles and Woolies have pork pies, made here by Temptation Bakeries and also Patchetts.

th.jpg.dda4dcaf47e16665457cef3128951004.jpgth.jpg.d8fbd706c76dac73b68dcff7ed639734.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ekka49 said:

Pork pies always with a salad and Branston pickle.

And a big chunk of Red Leicester cheese and a couple of big pickled onions. I like Blue Banner. Get the Branston pickle from Coles and the cheese.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

And a big chunk of Red Leicester cheese and a couple of big pickled onions. I like Blue Banner. Get the Branston pickle from Coles and the cheese.

Yummm…ploughman’s lunch.

one hilarious food fact:  close friends are Scottish, and they warned us years ago, before our first extended trip to that beautiful land, that chips are served with absolutely everything.  Didn’t believe them till we ordered pastas.  Perfectly al dente, and with a delicious sauce, and without asking, the dishes arrived with sides of….chips🤣

8 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Yummm…ploughman’s lunch.

one hilarious food fact:  close friends are Scottish, and they warned us years ago, before our first extended trip to that beautiful land, that chips are served with absolutely everything.  Didn’t believe them till we ordered pastas.  Perfectly al dente, and with a delicious sauce, and without asking, the dishes arrived with sides of….chips🤣

Yes and many of the full english breakfasts have chips on the plate. No chips on this one, no room, lol.

th.jpg.fc8c4b407594a5c214e59c8efb6f2230.jpg

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes and many of the full english breakfasts have chips on the plate. No chips on this one, no room, lol.

th.jpg.fc8c4b407594a5c214e59c8efb6f2230.jpg

Now that reminds me of the same trip, when after Scotland, we caught the ferry to Belfast and met friends for a driving tour of beautiful Ireland.  A few days later, we stopped for morning coffee at a delightful cafe in Donegal.  We ordered three coffees, and a tea (English breakfast).  The friendly waitress duly arrived with three coffees, a tea, and a huge plate of eggs, bacon, sausages and beans.

• Haha 1