Long sleeved shirts for men... really required?

Vagabond Knight

We were just looking through the "on board dress code" for our upcoming cruise on the Eclipse and saw that men's attire listed "long sleeved shirt." Please tell me that's not enforced. First, why should men have to wear long sleeves if women don't? Second, I'm not even sure my husband owns long sleeved shirts other than the one he wears with his kilt and the one he wears with his tux. He's the one who's always hot and never cold. If it were up to him, our thermostat would be set to 62-65 F. Will he be OK wearing short sleeved dress shirts or nice short sleeved tropical shirts to dinner the nights that are not designated "chic?" We're Aqua and will be dining in Blu most nights.

We were just looking through the "on board dress code" for our upcoming cruise on the Eclipse and saw that men's attire listed "long sleeved shirt." Please tell me that's not enforced. First, why should men have to wear long sleeves if women don't? Second, I'm not even sure my husband owns long sleeved shirts other than the one he wears with his kilt and the one he wears with his tux. He's the one who's always hot and never cold. If it were up to him, our thermostat would be set to 62-65 F. Will he be OK wearing short sleeved dress shirts or nice short sleeved tropical shirts to dinner the nights that are not designated "chic?" We're Aqua and will be dining in Blu most nights.

Long sleeves are not required in the MDR no matter the time of day or evening. You can wear short sleeved shirts even on evening chic nights.

I thought also tat men have to wear long sleeve shirts, not true, I just got off the Reflection and was told by the staff as long as it has a color, so I wore Hawaiian shirts a few nights as well as lots of other men, completely acceptable.

I thought also tat men have to wear long sleeve shirts, not true, I just got off the Reflection and was told by the staff as long as it has a color, so I wore Hawaiian shirts a few nights as well as lots of other men, completely acceptable.

That is the craziest thing I've heard.:rolleyes:

My DH wears a nice collared polo or button down shirt all the time and it has always been perfectly acceptable. As a matter of fact, he is oftentimes one of the nicer dressed men in the dining room. He does wear a button down dress shirt for elegant chic night, usually with a tie, but in Blu (or any of the specialty restaurants), smart casual is always optional.

He can wear whatever he wants. The "dress code" is fallacy created by the cruise industry and like all other "rules" can be ignored without risking retribution. It's your cruise and do as you please. ;p

Not true, still can’t wear shorts and T-shirt’s will cause you not to be admitted to MDR.

"He can wear whatever he wants. The "dress code" is fallacy created by the cruise industry and like all other "rules" can be ignored without risking retribution. It's your cruise and do as you please. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704:"

This is a joke, right? Try going to the dining room in swimwear, or shorts, and you'll find out otherwise,

I wear short-sleeved shirts and for Chic Night I don a jacket.

Funny how things change. A while ago we guys complained about the tux/dark suit requirement. That was relaxed and we complained about wearing a jacket and tie which is now not required. This isn’t a cheap shot at the OP’s question, just how the forums use to run. Heck, they had to have one special thread for just dress code comments!

I wore a velvet jacket last night to a party and all the women rubbed it and I loved it......my wife told me I couldn’t wear it to bed!

Den

Just to confirm: a short sleeve polo shirt (they do have a collar) is acceptable on smart casual and evening chic nights? Travelling in a suite if that matters.

It is acceptable and as an FYI, the dress code only applies to the Main Dining Room not Luminae. Luminae does not have a evening chic night, all nights are smart casual.

It is acceptable and as an FYI, the dress code only applies to the Main Dining Room not Luminae. Luminae does not have a evening chic night, all nights are smart casual.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

We've yet to cruise on Celebrity. We've considered it several times but always went elsewhere.

We've been sailing Holland. We are beginning to think that Celebrity would be the kind of step up we might enjoy. Luminae is particularly attractive.

I would suggest that what you describe was an aberration, that is not the normal situation on Celebrity. It's funny, some complain about Celebrity having such an aging demographic, didn't know they were also hillbillies or dare I say deplorables. Sorry just can't agree with you on the population.

My categorization of what cruising has become was based on four cruises last year, three on Celebrity and one on RCI. We found that the music venues were over-amplified, certain segments of the cruise passenger population turn their little nose miners loose to run amuck on the stairs, elevators, and hallways, that any semblence of a dress code is not followed - anything and everything allowed in the MDR, and that polite dinner conversation is impossible with people shouting their conversations, thanks to generous drink packages, to where the sound level in the MDR is a mild roar.

Cruising used to be more refined. Now it's like a floating county fair.

I've always worn long sleeves and slacks for dinner. This cruise, our first on X, DW made me buy a nice suit while she bought a couple of nice dresses (like she needed a reason). I'm looking forward to dressing up a little, darn it, and if that means we look out of place the ppphhhfffttt!!! on the rest of y'all. :D

Just to confirm: a short sleeve polo shirt (they do have a collar) is acceptable on smart casual and evening chic nights? Travelling in a suite if that matters.

Yes,perfectible acceptable. Suite has nothing to do with the suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening.

"He can wear whatever he wants. The "dress code" is fallacy created by the cruise industry and like all other "rules" can be ignored without risking retribution. It's your cruise and do as you please. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704:"

This is a joke, right? Try going to the dining room in swimwear, or shorts, and you'll find out otherwise,

Wear what you want ..they let a fella into MDR ..Every nite wearing tatered blue jeans a faded Harely tshirt and rumpled old ball hat and not a word was said

My categorization of what cruising has become was based on four cruises last year, three on Celebrity and one on RCI. We found that the music venues were over-amplified, certain segments of the cruise passenger population turn their little nose miners loose to run amuck on the stairs, elevators, and hallways, that any semblence of a dress code is not followed - anything and everything allowed in the MDR, and that polite dinner conversation is impossible with people shouting their conversations, thanks to generous drink packages, to where the sound level in the MDR is a mild roar.

Cruising used to be more refined. Now it's like a floating county fair.

Unless cruising on holiday itineraries, our experiences could not be more different. We see very few children/families on our X cruises. We do tend to select longer itineraries and avoid holiday and spring break time frames as well as avoid summer sailings (unless to places that require those times to visit such as Alaska, etc.). We haven't seen shorts in the MDR in the evenings, have had quiet tables where conversation in pleasant (we tend to dine later) and have seen very few drunken passengers.