A Very Sad Story - Please Check Your Insurance Policy

babs135

OK, the original poster may be unaware of cruise policy AND did not read the story.

The pax in question had some type of pre-existing condition. Because of that SHE COULD NOT BUY A STANDARD POLICY. At a extra cost she COULD have gotten a policy. She did have policy that was of no use. So as far as blame, this issue is totally at the feet of the pax.

ANY CRUISE SHIP HAS MINIMAL MEDICAL SUPPORT. If you got a broken toe I'm sure they could help. ANYTHING more severe will most likely get you thrown off the ship. It's rather important for the cruise line NOT to incur the cost of returning to port or making emergency stops.

ALL PAX SHOULD DO THEIR RESEARCH. The second you step onto your ship, you agree to a cruise contract. All of which can easily be found their web site. About 20 pages of things they are not responsible for and actions that will get you tossed.

Years ago story here these boards. In port male pax goes to medical with chest pains. Within an hour, security had cleared their cabin and deposited the man with is wife and a pile of belongings on the docks. They had to pay for ambulance, hospital charges and transportation home. By the way, NO heart attack

Very sad indeed. No need to show video of lady in hospital.

Travel insurance is very expensive, especially for those with pre existing medical conditions. For a person with conditions mentioned in the article, undertaking such a trip; full and comprehensive worldwide, plus USA, plus cruise cover plus anything else they offered should have been a priority, as well as full disclosure of conditions. (Of course we don't know the actual insurance purchased, but do know it wasn't enough)

I have heard of several cases where passengers have been left to sort themselves out , following a medical emergency/ death on board a ship.

While I appreciate the ships do not have extra staff who might be left ashore to support passengers, each shipping company has a port agent, who in my opinion, should be available to support, translate and arrange family support to be despatched.

Condolences to the family.

Better insurance might have paid more, but better care is dependent on the available facilities, and these are not always the same quality (I really couldn't find the word I wanted) around the world. Even with better insurance, the outcome might have been the same. EM

So, she

was 66, over weight,

had Diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart issues but decided to take a long cruise on her own with insufficient insurance, but it's the cruise lines fault? Also, if the hospital that made the comments was so concerned, why didn't they keep her rather than transfer her out. Oh, I guess they wanted to be paid and insurance wouldn't cover it.

As the poster above noted, where was the family for a month? Seems at least one of them could have gone to her. The daughter supposedly admitted being aware of the situation.

I do agree with other comments in the paper that there is no good reason to post her photo while in the hospital. Typical media sensationalism.

Very sad situation but there has to be some personal responsibility involved here.

A tragic story, but not sure there is any blame except perhaps to the victim herself According the story she had several potentially serious medical issues and yet made a decision to take an ambitious cruise. The cruise line obviously was able to get her ashore and to a hospital....at which point the cruise line's responsibility ends. Some lines will follow-up (often through a local agent) but since she was in 3 different hospitals she may have not even been located in a city where the cruise line had an agent.

As to the insurance issue, that has nothing to do with the cruise line.

Hank

I don't quite get the bit where "the cruise line abandoned her" - it's undoubtedly true that they took her off the ship and put her into hospital. Is that wrong?

I can well understand that someone with poor health still wants to enjoy life, even at some risk to herself. Sitting around waiting to die is no fun. And it doesn't seem to be the family that's trying to make a fuss, it's a doctor in the hospital (possibly worried about not getting paid?) and the Daily Mail. Not having insurance, though - that's stupid.

I don't quite get the bit where "the cruise line abandoned her" - it's undoubtedly true that they took her off the ship and put her into hospital. Is that wrong?

I can well understand that someone with poor health still wants to enjoy life, even at some risk to herself. Sitting around waiting to die is no fun. And it doesn't seem to be the family that's trying to make a fuss, it's a doctor in the hospital (possibly worried about not getting paid?) and the Daily Mail. Not having insurance, though - that's stupid.

It's a Daily Mail article. Nothing but sensationalism and false indignation can be expected.

OK, the original poster may be unaware of cruise policy AND did not read the story.

The pax in question had some type of pre-existing condition. Because of that SHE COULD NOT BUY A STANDARD POLICY. At a extra cost she COULD have gotten a policy. She did have policy that was of no use. So as far as blame, this issue is totally at the feet of the pax.

ANY CRUISE SHIP HAS MINIMAL MEDICAL SUPPORT. If you got a broken toe I'm sure they could help. ANYTHING more severe will most likely get you thrown off the ship. It's rather important for the cruise line NOT to incur the cost of returning to port or making emergency stops.

ALL PAX SHOULD DO THEIR RESEARCH. The second you step onto your ship, you agree to a cruise contract. All of which can easily be found their web site. About 20 pages of things they are not responsible for and actions that will get you tossed.

Years ago story here these boards. In port male pax goes to medical with chest pains. Within an hour, security had cleared their cabin and deposited the man with is wife and a pile of belongings on the docks. They had to pay for ambulance, hospital charges and transportation home. By the way, NO heart attack

Take a breath. No need for all the shouting.

It's a Daily Mail article. Nothing but sensationalism and false indignation can be expected.

Yes, totally slanted sensationalism. The Daily Mail is about the trashiest site out there. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

What did they expect the cruise line to do? Have the ship's doctor stay with her throughout her hospitalization? Delay the ship until she was well enough to travel?

My mother-in-law had to leave a cruise ship in Greece while on a Mediterranean cruise. The insurance company my in-laws had was wonderful--coordinating her care in the hospital, my father-in-law's hotel room, the changes to their flights home after she was well enough to travel, and even hiring a student nurse to accompany them on the flight home from Greece. But you could say the cruise abandoned them as well because the ship dropped her off for medical care and went on with the cruise.

She was there for a month, not a single family member could fly over? I can’t see how the cruise line is responsible, at all.

Agree 100%. Where was the family? And anyone notice how the first hospital kept this woman until her insurance ran out and then she was transferred? It seems she was kept at a hospital that was inferior until her insurance ran out.

Just to add a bit of background to this story. I was on this cruise (Cruise & Maritime to Amazon, West Indies and Azores on the Magellan).

The ship was a floating bug-bath. There was a terrible cough/chest infection going round which almost everybody caught (we are still suffering two weeks later). The air-conditioning was the main culprit IMHO - it pulled in exhaust fumes and the temperature was not controllable. The ship is renowned for this problem - two of our tablemates did this cruise two years ago and caught the same bug (and caught it again this time). Reviews from the previous cruise also described the same problem. I think this infection could be endemic to the ship.

Chinese whispers had a death toll ranging from 2 to 12 on this cruise (I know of two for certain).

The medical centre was making a fortune from the number of antibiotics/IV drips etc. they were prescribing. There were also several casualties from a very 'bouncy' sail through the Bay of Biscay. I would guess that the average age of pax on this cruise was mid 70s so many pax were medically compromised before they started.

Just to add a bit of background to this story. I was on this cruise ... I would guess that the average age of pax on this cruise was mid 70s so many pax were medically compromised before they started.

With 3,800 posts you were probably aware of this ship's reviews yet wanted to take the voyage anyway as did the medically compromised passengers. Many of us will decide to take a risk because we want to enjoy the experience, which is why this woman sailed despite her health problems. "Let me make my own decisions!" But when something bad happens it's the blame of the evil and uncaring cruise line. "They should have taken care of me!"

What was the point of the Daily Mail story? Disuade people from booking such cruises? To set up grounds for a lawsuit? To require a comprehensive health assessment befor sailing? Perhaps ban solos from booking exotic voyages as they now ban children under 1 year old?

In the end this woman took the risk but it went horribly wrong. As a competant adult that was her right, but also her responsibility to have adequate insurance in place in if she didn't have the resources to self insure.

Very sad story - about someone in poor health making a reckless decision, about medical care providers not wanting to assume uncompensated responsibilities, about apparently disinterested family, and finally about a trashy tabloid journal trying to provid a sensational story to its gullible reading public.

Only periphally about cruising.

With 3,800 posts you were probably aware of this ship's reviews yet wanted to take the voyage anyway as did the medically compromised passengers. Many of us will decide to take a risk because we want to enjoy the experience, which is why this woman sailed despite her health problems. "Let me make my own decisions!" But when something bad happens it's the blame of the evil and uncaring cruise line. "They should have taken care of me!"

What was the point of the Daily Mail story? Disuade people from booking such cruises? To set up grounds for a lawsuit? To require a comprehensive health assessment befor sailing? Perhaps ban solos from booking exotic voyages as they now ban children under 1 year old?

In the end this woman took the risk but it went horribly wrong. As a competant adult that was her right, but also her responsibility to have adequate insurance in place in if she didn't have the resources to self insure.

I will admit to not reading the shjp reviews before booking (it was rather last minute at a price that was almost 'too good to be true'), although the Xmas and New Year cruise reviews, which mention the cough, were not written when we booked. It also made us realise the value of a balcony for fresh air (only 15 balconies on the ship as top-end suites).

I am not passing comment about the cruise lines 'aftercare' as I know nothing about it (and the Daily Mail is not the most reliable of sources - they even got the ship wrong in the original story!). I am just trying to put a context to the story - the medical centre was overrun due to the various issues I mentioned.

Just to add a bit of background to this story. I was on this cruise (Cruise & Maritime to Amazon, West Indies and Azores on the Magellan).

The ship was a floating bug-bath. There was a terrible cough/chest infection going round which almost everybody caught (we are still suffering two weeks later). The air-conditioning was the main culprit IMHO - it pulled in exhaust fumes and the temperature was not controllable. The ship is renowned for this problem - two of our tablemates did this cruise two years ago and caught the same bug (and caught it again this time). Reviews from the previous cruise also described the same problem. I think this infection could be endemic to the ship.

Chinese whispers had a death toll ranging from 2 to 12 on this cruise (I know of two for certain).

The medical centre was making a fortune from the number of antibiotics/IV drips etc. they were prescribing. There were also several casualties from a very 'bouncy' sail through the Bay of Biscay. I would guess that the average age of pax on this cruise was mid 70s so many pax were medically compromised before they started.

You don’t get ill from A/C, you get ill from a virus or bacteria on a ship.