My parents were denied boarding on Holland America 30 day cruise, need help

puffy16

I don't want to pile on but why didn't they immediately contact their TA and find out how to join the cruise at another port. I wouldn't have walked away from $20,000.

Hi

Yes, it might be a little late now...15 days into a 30 day cruise, but this obviously would be the most cost effective approach.

Yes, it might be a little late now...15 days into a 30 day cruise, but this obviously would be the most cost effective approach.

Completely agree with you. But something else isn't sitting well with me... OP said:

... my parents in 70s who have been cruising for very long time now, booked a 30 day cruise. They were suppose to sail from Buenos Aires on Feb 18. ....even thought they were not going to get off ship in Brazil or even hit Brazilian waters for 3 days after they started cruise). ...They flew home and that was end of it. They are out close to 20k...

1. Parents are older but it sounds like they are veteran cruisers and should have known about the required visas

2. Passengers cannot just say they are not getting off at a port - if you are cleared to board, you are cleared to disembark at ports, or else you would be denied bording

3. Did parents use a TA? Did they not make that their first call?

4. They "flew home and that was the end of it"? $20,000 is a lot of money to lose without even fighting for it first.

I am going to sound a bit cruel but perhaps one needs to be honest. Their OP says the parents are in their 70s (I will be there myself in a few weeks) and are experienced cruisers. On HAL they might be among the younger cruisers :). As experienced cruisers they should be aware that some countries require Visas...and this has been the case with Brazil forever. In fact, Brazil has often been a royal pain when it comes to Visas...and some experienced cruisers actually avoid cruises to that country because of the hassles.

The cruise lines are not responsible to hold their customer's hands. The reality is that on cruises you may well have folks carrying Passports from dozens of different countries. It is up to the cruiser to check on Visa requirements. Bottom line is that the OP's parents messed-up...which is truly a shame. But they are paying the price. I would have more sympathy if they were virgin cruisers/travelers. I suspect in the info they received from HAL (prior to their cruise) was info about checking on Visa requirements...which they either ignored or totally missed.

Hank

We were on a Feb 2018 Celebrity cruise that included Brazil. A Celebrity white shirt checked to make sure each person had a Brazil visa before we even got to the check-in. We were advised that 30 passengers were turned away because they lacked the Brazilian visa. Unfortunately, this is nothing new. Search CC and you will see this has come up before.

There are plenty of attorneys here in Seattle, but most don’t want to take a losing case.

What’s your cause of action? You have nothing to sue for. It’s not the responsibility of a TA, a cruise line, an airline, etc., to make sure a traveler has the necessary travel documents. This boarding denial was due to the failure of your parents to obtain the visa they needed.

I also don’t understand why they didn’t board, as already mentioned, at the next port after they got the visa. I don’t know any travel insurance policy that will pay a claim due to denied boarding because the passengers were missing required travel documents.

It’s a shame.

Actually it IS the responsibility of the cruise line or airline to make sure you have the proper documents before boarding you. But not their responsibility to make you get them before you travel.

If an airline boards you without the proper visa, you will not be allowed to enter the country. The airline will be fined. And will have to return you to the departure point, at their expense.

But in this case, if the cruise stops in another port before Brazil, they could have boarded them, then if the paperwork was not approved, disembarked them at the stop before Brazil.

And of course, as others have said, they could have arranged to join the cruise at the next port.

This situation is soooo unfortunate:( I feel so sorry for them because I know hoe much we all look forward to our cruises: counting down the weeks, days and hours. What a price they are paying for a human error. May this be a lesson for all of us cruisers.

This thread made me look at the US state dept.’s site for our cruise. We are on a closed looped cruise from Fort. Lauderdale, but one of our stops is Roatan, Honduras. Honduras states that you have to have a passport that is good for at least 6 months. I wonder if the cruisers who only bring their birth certificates will be okay. I’m so glad I had my DH renew his passport that would have expired in May.

Since you are not really entering the country, you should be fine. But you might want to call the Honduran Embassy in DC.

I know one site outlines the different requirements for a cruise passenger, versus a tourist staying in country for more than a day.

...But in this case, if the cruise stops in another port before Brazil, they could have boarded them, then if the paperwork was not approved, disembarked them at the stop before Brazil.

And of course, as others have said, they could have arranged to join the cruise at the next port.

Technically they could have done so. But then the headline would read something like: "Cruise ship boots off and leaves elderly couple in ____".

There was a story last month where a couple - also in their 70s - had their passorts in checked luggage picked up by the pierside porters and didn't sail. Since both stories made a point of mentioning their age, it implies that these people are compromised in their cognitive ability. Is a cruise line to flag someone's age and provide a free "do over" if one didn't get their documents right? As somebody who is not to many years away from the big 7-0, I could find myself unsble to sail solo because I would be considered "not altogether there" to travel without somebody younger to look out for me.

All cruise lines note in their passenger contract that visas are the responsibility for the passenger to obtain.

I am sorry this happened but in the end the responsibility falls to each passenger for figuring out whether or not they need visas when they travel.

Keith

A poster mentioned that it is the cruiselines' responsibility to make sure the passengers have the correct identification: passport, Visas, etc. I imagine that a warning is in all of our cruise contracts. A cruise line can't say "you need a VISA for Brazil" when the situation may be different for various countries and also may depend on the issue of dual citizenships. I can't see how a cruise company could really check this accurately.

Technically they could have done so. But then the headline would read something like: "Cruise ship boots off and leaves elderly couple in ____".

There was a story last month where a couple - also in their 70s - had their passorts in checked luggage picked up by the pierside porters and didn't sail. Since both stories made a point of mentioning their age, it implies that these people are compromised in their cognitive ability. Is a cruise line to flag someone's age and provide a free "do over" if one didn't get their documents right? As somebody who is not to many years away from the big 7-0, I could find myself unsble to sail solo because I would be considered "not altogether there" to travel without somebody younger to look out for me.

True, but they would not have had to in this instance. :D

Yeah, there are always issues within issues.

OP has posted this same thread on the HAL board.

Many of us have asked questions as there seems to be some gaps in the story.

But OP hasn't returned to either thread.

Doubt that the OP will be back. It's not unusual for somebody to find this board as they search for some redress to their problem - like denial of boarding or cancellation due to illness but no insurance. They want some legal recourse to force a refund or a free reschedule. Failing that, they may seek a way to publically shame the cruise line as greedy and harsh until it capitulates. (He/she has already tried to find a lawyer willing to file a lawsuit.)

Sad that this happened but as seasoned cruisers the couple should have been astute enough to check visa requirements. They're not alone. BruceMuzz, an industry insider here, says that lack of proper travel documentation results in 2-4 people denied boarding for closed loop cruises and 6-8 for other itinearies.

Doubt that the OP will be back. It's not unusual for somebody to find this board as they search for some redress to their problem - like denial of boarding or cancellation due to illness but no insurance. They want some legal recourse to force a refund or a free reschedule. Failing that, they may seek a way to publically shame the cruise line as greedy and harsh until it capitulates. (He/she has already tried to find a lawyer willing to file a lawsuit.)

Sad that this happened but as seasoned cruisers the couple should have been astute enough to check visa requirements. They're not alone. BruceMuzz, an industry insider here, says that lack of proper travel documentation results in 2-4 people denied boarding for closed loop cruises and 6-8 for other itinearies.

Exactly.

Since starting both threads, the OP has returned to the boards to read, but not posted. I suspect that he/she does have some responsibility for seeing that the proper visas were obtained in time, and is not willing to admit to it. EM

Since starting both threads, the OP has returned to the boards to read, but not posted. I suspect that he/she does have some responsibility for seeing that the proper visas were obtained in time, and is not willing to admit to it. EM

I am not at all surprised that they haven't come back with more posts. It is quite clear that they were looking for support of their side of the story and help in their quest to sue the cruise line for what is in actuality their parent's mistakes, not HAL's. That they aren't getting the support they expected may be the reason they won't respond to all the people who took the time to explain the reality of the situation.

They weren't looking for facts. They were looking for ways to force the cruise line into giving in to their demands.

Edited by sloopsailor

I sometimes wonder when you see complaint posts and the OP never answers back could they be fake stories to bad mouth the competition:o? I have heard companies employ people to post complaints around social media pretending to be disgruntled customers of their competition.

It sort of has all the hallmarks. The 70yr old couple, an age group people tend to feel are more vulnerable and therefore more likely to sympathise with, the whole scenario of "all they needed was one more day", the focus on supposedly bad customer service (how could they not alert the frail 70yr old couple on visa requirements:eek:?), even the hole in the story, that they are seasoned cruisers is almost like they are trying to say other cruises companies are much better at giving you information and of course the high price tag, $10000 each, not too much that it is ridiculous but not so little as to be dismissed:confused:.

IDK maybe the cynic in me is just making me too much into a conspiracy theorist;p

I sometimes wonder when you see complaint posts and the OP never answers back could they be fake stories to bad mouth the competition:o? I have heard companies employ people to post complaints around social media pretending to be disgruntled customers of their competition.

It sort of has all the hallmarks. The 70yr old couple, an age group people tend to feel are more vulnerable and therefore more likely to sympathise with, the whole scenario of "all they needed was one more day", the focus on supposedly bad customer service (how could they not alert the frail 70yr old couple on visa requirements:eek:?), even the hole in the story, that they are seasoned cruisers is almost like they are trying to say other cruises companies are much better at giving you information and of course the high price tag, $10000 each, not too much that it is ridiculous but not so little as to be dismissed:confused:.

IDK maybe the cynic in me is just making me too much into a conspiracy theorist;p

IF that was something that happened, I don't see this being a case of that. Looking at the average base of who would take such a cruise, it is very small. The majority is likely well-aware of the Visa requirement and perhaps even lower HAL customers. A much better way to turn people off would be to say "we spent tens of thousands on this cruise, and the quality has severely declined." The usual dirty room, poor food, rude employees, etc.

We have built such a society that teaches everyone to point the finger, and that "the man" is always to blame. Don't get me wrong, if I was taking a cruise like this, I'd want them to over-communicate important items like this. I feel terrible for this couple to be out of so much money and to miss out on such a memorable experience. Most people don't want to hear that they should have known better. They want instant gratification for all inconveniences.

I don't buy the story that nobody told them about VISA requirements. For months before my recent Princess cruise around South America I got emails reminding everybody to check for reciprocity payments, and VISA requirements. The cruise line sends those out to everybody. It only takes a minute to go to a country's official website to see if you need additional documents.

IT'S THE RUSSIANS! Next thing we'll hear is that there is a new cruise line sailing converted Soviet era battle ships!

It may or may not be named something like "Rump Cruises".

I am not at all surprised that they haven't come back with more posts. It is quite clear that they were looking for support of their side of the story and help in their quest to sue the cruise line for what is in actuality their parent's mistakes, not HAL's. That they aren't getting the support they expected may be the reason they won't respond to all the people who took the time to explain the reality of the situation.

They weren't looking for facts. They were looking for ways to force the cruise line into giving in to their demands.

Well, they can always try the Boston Globe. :D

Next thing we'll hear is that there is a new cruise line sailing converted Soviet era battle ships!

Not so far fetched a thought. Maybe not a new cruise line, but sounds a bit like Regent Cruises Navigator. To quote a Yahoo website, "The hull was constructed by former USSR (Russia) as a satellite tracking ship. The hull was purchased by RSSC and the superstructure was finished by Mariotti Yards, Italy."