Bad Weather on a Cruise

I am cruising on the Carnival Elation March 10-15 and as we are getting closer to time the weather forecast is showing rain/thunderstorms every day. Has anyone else had this problem or experienced bad weather on port days in the Bahamas? Did you still get off the ship to experience the port of call? What is there to do on the ship (or personal suggestions of things to do in your cabin) during inclement weather? TIA!

We typically check the forecast for each of our ports a few days ahead of time so that we have at least a rough idea of what to expect. On a previous cruise, St. Thomas was one of our ports of call. There was rain in the forecast, so we packed compact umbrellas. We had hoped to take the skyride to Paradise Point, but the rain changed our minds. So we decided to just go walking on our own. Why is it that a two mile walk seems so much further when you're walking in the rain?:rolleyes:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have had some cruises where many of our port days were nothing but rain and storms -- Caribbean, Alaska, Baltic to name a few itineraries.

Sometimes we went ashore -- sometimes we stayed on the ship.

You will find fewer activities on the ship on port days compared to sea days.

We like to read -- we do a lot of that. We also have our own travel scrabble game.

Thunderstorms and short rain showers are normal weather in the Caribbean. As Paul said, they are usually very short lived. I don't like carrying an umbrella so we throw 2 cheap plastic ponchos in our backpack. On many Caribbean trips we've never used them.

As others have said, you're more likely to have a sort shower or Tstorm rather than an all day rain event. While I wouldn't recommend staying on a beach ( or sheltering under a tree) during a Tstorm, I also wouldn't stay on board just because the forecast wasn't ideal. Play it day by day , checking the actual forecast over breakfast.

Ship activities will be reduced on port days, but it's not as if there's NOTHING to do. Look at your daily sheet to see what's on. Things to do in your cabin?? Seriously?? If you have to ask, then you've been married too long.;);)

Umbrellas in crowded ports can mean people get poked in the eye. Please remember that and be considerate. :)

One time we had a torrential downpour in St. Maarten with flash flooding in the streets. We ditched our rental car and had drinks at a bar. Many, many drinks. :wine-glass::cocktail::tropical-drink::beer-mug::beer-toast:

One time we had a torrential downpour in St. Maarten with flash flooding in the streets. We ditched our rental car and had drinks at a bar. Many, many drinks. :wine-glass::cocktail::tropical-drink::beer-mug::beer-toast:

Wet on the inside as well as on the outside ;p I like that idea.

We stayed on the ship last month when it docked in St. Thomas. It rained off and on all day long. Some people we talked to who had gone ashore said it was miserable. We had a good time on the ship.

In the Caribbean, where it is warm I love to swim in the ocean while it is raining any chance I get. In other venues (example Alaska) just wear appropriate clothing. A national park ranger once told us, "There is no such thing as bad weather...just bad attitude and/or inadequate clothing".

Rain has never stopped my holiday plans (This may be being British or stubborn or a mix of both)

But seriously, if the rain does fall it will be short and warm rain that will be no bother especially if you are swimming.....I adore swimming the rain!

As a bonus it may also cool you down.