Heads up for those who drive through Georgia to Florida ports!

irishgal432

I do not want to start a large debate but wanted everyone to be aware, as of July 1st there is a hands free law that has gone into effect.

Basically all electronic devices must be hands free and mounted for the driver. You can use GPS but it must be mounted. You cannot talk, text or surf the net while holding your phone. Must be bluetooth or mounted.

http://www.headsupgeorgia.com/handsfree-law/

Wish they would enact this everywhere and get serious with the fines.

Honestly I thought it was nationwide already. Didn't realize some states didn't have these laws yet. Although NV can be a bit excessive at times, had a co-worker get a ticket because he was using his cell phone while the car was turned on, even though he was parked. Officer claimed that as long as the vehicle was running he was "in control of a motor vehicle" and the cell phone ban applied, regardless of if the vehicle was parked or in motion.

Was thrown out in court, but still, a lot of trouble for something that shouldn't have been an issue.

Wish they would enact this everywhere and get serious with the fines.

Not serious enough here other than the points. First-time offenders get one point on their license and a $50 fine. The second offense is two points and $100 and the third is three points and $150. The law started yesterday and they said on the news that our Troopers have already wrote several hundred tickets.

Honestly I thought it was nationwide already. Didn't realize some states didn't have these laws yet. Although NV can be a bit excessive at times, had a co-worker get a ticket because he was using his cell phone while the car was turned on, even though he was parked. Officer claimed that as long as the vehicle was running he was "in control of a motor vehicle" and the cell phone ban applied, regardless of if the vehicle was parked or in motion.

Was thrown out in court, but still, a lot of trouble for something that shouldn't have been an issue.

As long as we are pulled over off the road and parked, we dont have to worry about that thankfully.

Can you say "loophole?"

Would I be required to purchase a hands-free accessory, such as a mount or bracket?

No. The proposed law simply states that a driver cannot hold or support a mobile phone. A phone can be left on a vehicle’s console, a front seat, etc. However, for the safety of all Georgians, state and local law enforcement recommend the purchase and use of a hands-free device if using a mobile phone while driving.

I do not want to start a large debate but wanted everyone to be aware, as of July 1st there is a hands free law that has gone into effect.

Basically all electronic devices must be hands free and mounted for the driver. You can use GPS but it must be mounted. You cannot talk, text or surf the net while holding your phone. Must be bluetooth or mounted.

No one should be doing this anywhere anyway.

The texting law in Florida comes to mind. $25 fine for texting, but you can't be ticketed for it unless there is another reason for you to be pulled over. They didn't have a cell phone law until a family of 7 was killed by someone talking on their cell many years ago. I guess that's what it will take for the idiots to enact a real texting law.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Can you say "loophole?"

Would I be required to purchase a hands-free accessory, such as a mount or bracket?

No. The proposed law simply states that a driver cannot hold or support a mobile phone. A phone can be left on a vehicle’s console, a front seat, etc. However, for the safety of all Georgians, state and local law enforcement recommend the purchase and use of a hands-free device if using a mobile phone while driving.

Still it is hands free. If your car has bluetooth and gps can run through thed bluetooth, you don't need a mount. It can be anywhere in the car other than your hands.

Thanks for the tip irishgal. We drive thru Georgia at least 2-3 times a year.

We've had a no-texting law here in NC for 10 or more years, but it's not enforced nearly enough. Maybe it's a secondary offense here too, but it really, Really, REALLY needs to be primary, and it really needs to be strictly enforced.

I’m in NV too and had a friend who got a ticket just for having her phone in her hand while driving. She was not using it. I don’t know how many times I have been in the line at Starbucks and it is held up by people on their cell not paying attention sitting in the drive-thru.

QUOTE=awestover89;56439374]Honestly

thought it was nationwide already. Didn't realize some states didn't have these laws yet. Although NV can be a bit excessive at times, had a co-worker get a ticket because he was using his cell phone while the car was turned on, even though he was parked. Officer claimed that as long as the vehicle was running he was "in control of a motor vehicle" and the cell phone ban applied, regardless of if the vehicle was parked or in motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are drivers really any less distracted when the phone is mounted? They're still totally focused on their conversation and oblivious to their surroundings.
Pretty sure they are "hoping" if the phone is mounted, at least the driver is looking up, in the direction of traffic, since most mounted phones are at the dash level.

People that are driving and texting or taking selfies are holding the phone and not even looking up at traffic.

Are drivers really any less distracted when the phone is mounted? They're still totally focused on their conversation and oblivious to their surroundings.

That is a silly presumption.

Not a problem for us because we do not own any electronic devices.

Agreed. I don't think people realize that occupying their hand(s) isn't the only part of the distraction. Just talking to somebody else on the phone is also a major source of distraction:

https://www.nsc.org/road-safety/tools-resources/infographics/hands-free-is-not-risk-free

I more or less agree with that question too. I personally don't see how it's any more dangerous to answer a call (a quick sweep), hold the phone to your ear and talk, than it is to look away from the road to tune a 21st-century radio with a gazillion buttons or pushpads. But that's not illegal anywhere that I know of (and I've hit 41 of the 50 states). But on the other hand, I am infernally irritated when a driver in front of me in the far left lane can't keep his/her speed up -- completely out of mind as to the primary task at hand, "can't walk and chew gum at the same time".

Texting while driving is just plain idiotic. That's one prohibition I wish would be enforced to the hilt.