Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Ordered some more fish from Alaska, which arrived today. Chris thawed a piece of halibut and I served it over jasmine rice, in a lemon beurre blanc with capers. Divine. And the pièce de résistance? About 8 cloves of garlic, simmered in the butter until soft. 

20200925_184211.thumb.jpg.21829cc731d9467ff6aeb4b31b76c9bc.jpg

Tomato, and parsley, garnishes from the gardens. They may last a few more weeks but time is growing short. I have lots of nice sage to use for fall recipes. Any favorites?

According to the long-range forecast, I will need to bring the citrus trees inside next weekend. Always a little disappointing to watch summer slip into fall, but fall cooking is yummy too, and we can switch to more red wine, so not all is lost. Lots of new recipes to try!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Ordered some more fish from Alaska, which arrived today.

According to the long-range forecast, I will need to bring the citrus trees inside next weekend. Always a little disappointing to watch summer slip into fall, but fall cooking is yummy too, and we can switch to more red wine, so not all is lost. Lots of new recipes to try!

YES, great looking fish and dining delights from J.P.  Keep it coming!

Today, the college football season ramps up more with many interesting games.  For Spins on national TV, ABC, tonight at 7:30 pm, will be Florida State visiting Miami.  Should be a good battle.  Spins is happy that Miami is undefeated now at 2-0.  Will many Miami players get to wear the "Turnover Chain" during tonight's game?  Spins can explain what is the "Turnover Chain"!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From AccuWeather for next week in Central Ohio, here is their forecast that includes colder weather, rain, thunderstorms, etc.  Fall is coming, good or bad??!!  Summer is fading away?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1177898701_ScreenShot2020-09-26at8_58_12AM.thumb.png.0b1d40407f09dd491d90e9263868cf3b.png

More below from a couple of American comedy "Queens"?:

308303044_ScreenShot2020-09-26at9_05_55AM.png.2cabb88961912e254fee8be7cd2b563d.png

883068443_ScreenShot2020-09-26at9_06_09AM.png.43034d37631afcdd3f58022834aa4f22.png

115.thumb.JPG.95336c663c58213944d92842db9e8980.JPG

Above, wife Karen leaving shore on a cruise with our faithful dog Grover.

Below, they ultimately had to abandon ship, as the paddles on the Explorer 200 proved incapable of propulsion.  All hands were safely recovered.

125.thumb.JPG.aafe0bd7259f1a763a5c1b821d216b60.JPG

The Explorer 200 has since been retired from our fleet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today and yesterday have seen truly atrocious weather in our neck of the woods - gales, heavy rain, chilly temps for 36 hours and still going.  So time to cook comfort food, an English classic - homemade steak and kidney pie with puff pastry, mashed spuds and peas, washed down with a nice Chilean cab sav.  It took most of the day to cook and it warmed the cockles, I can tell you.   And after that a movie, Bombshell, with Charlize Theron and Nicole Kidman. 

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

• Like 4

It's a week or so of warmer weather here. Summer's last hurrah? I raided the garden for dinner while I still can!

Tomato salad over greens with balsamic and olive oil. Amazing how good such a simple dish tastes.

20200926_165907.thumb.jpg.eb823dd8b0a6732ba8bbf4551af04751.jpg

The main course was a little more work. Grilled pork chops with tortilla-tomatillo salsa. The chops marinated for a few hours in evoo, lime juice, coriander, and ancho chile powder.

The tomatillos and the hot pepper for the salsa were fresh from the garden. Sliced in half, seared on the grill, then chopped and mixed with avocado. I added crushed corn chips just before serving.

20200926_165827.thumb.jpg.9c5ff3dd658e5c00054047872b82434b.jpg

Usually I buy tomatillos and they sit in the fridge for weeks until I remember to use them. The ones I pick fresh off the vine are so much better!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I have lots of nice sage to use for fall recipes. Any favorites?

Have you ever made the Zuni Cafe roast chicken? It's very famous dish at a famous place in SF. I'm actually making it tonight. You put a few sage - or other - leaves under the skin of the breast. It dry brines in the fridge for up to three days and the smaller the bird the better.

https://www.today.com/news/zuni-roast-chicken-bread-salad-wbna4401342

The bread salad is super but the bird is super-er 🙂

Recipe: Zuni Cafe chicken with bread salad by Judy Rogers from The Zuni  Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San  Francisco's Beloved Restaurant @ Not Quite Nigella

Edited by clo
  • Like 4