Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

9 hours ago, jpalbny said:

20210801_173445.thumb.jpg.5e9cfead7efa2b70a20a86a827b7f4bd.jpg

The Tiffany-style lamp is a special piece with great sentimental value to me. It was in my grandparents' house when they bought it back in the mid-1950s. For years it hung in the reception area of his office (he was a GP and had his office at his house). 

When my grandfather passed and the house was sold, the lamp went to my mother and it hung over her kitchen table for years. Amazing that my miscreant little siblings didn't destroy it!

I inherited it from her 15 years ago and never knew what to do with it, until now. We love how it fits into that space! Makes me happy to see it have another place to shine.

I love Tiffany lamps!  Not sure if they are fashionable these days, or merely retro.  I think Tiffany stuff has gone in and out fashion several times.  I have a Tiffany lamp with a dragonfly shade and a snake base.  I bought it in New York in 1994 when I was sent over by a newspaper to interview Debra Winger.  I was wandering around the freezing and snowy streets and saw it in an antique store on the Upper East Side. Can't remember what I paid for it but it was incredibly heavy with that solid metal base.  I had it shipped over to the UK.   Whenever I switch it on I always think of Debra . . . (The little ashtray, btw, is a memento from the Hotel Lancaster in Paris.)

DSC_0001.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I love Tiffany lamps!  Not sure if they are fashionable these days, or merely retro.  I think Tiffany stuff has gone in and out fashion several times.  I have a Tiffany lamp with a dragonfly shade and a snake base.  I bought it in New York in 1994 when I was sent over by a newspaper to interview Debra Winger.  I was wandering around the freezing and snowy streets and saw it in an antique store on the Upper East Side. Can't remember what I paid for it but it was incredibly heavy with that solid metal base.  I had it shipped over to the UK.   Whenever I switch it on I always think of Debra . . . (The little ashtray, btw, is a memento from the Hotel Lancaster in Paris.)

DSC_0001.jpg

who cares about fashionable?? it's magnificent!  I've never seen one with a snake base before.

• Like 1

Good morning, I love Tiffany Lamps as well.  Actually, I have 2 in my living room🙂

I have a question please, are any of you having or did you have major issues with the boards from yesterday? Not being able to post at all? Or now, when you check "your activity stream" it shows nothing showing up? Or just a few threads but many are missing that you know you post on?  I posted on the Help Forum and I see quite a few other folks are having the same problems........hope they are able to fix them.  It is really funky not being able to follow a thread......I use that "Activity Stream" A LOT.......

Lois, yes the boards are messed up. I think they did some tweaks because last night when I was uploading pix to my post, things looked and behaved differently. My activity stream also was very curtailed for a while. It's inching back towards normal now.

Interesting morning here today and not in a good way.  Today was apartment cleaning day for our two bedroom plus den on the ground floor with a huge patio.  As I was dusting a bookshelf under the dining room window I noticed that some of the dust seemed to be moving.  Closer inspection determined that the moving dots were the teeniest tiniest ants I have ever seen.  And there were a lot of them.  I quickly started squishing the invaders between my fingers.  I found more in the carpet of the master bedroom.  The bodies began to accumulate.  I contacted the Super and he looked at my pile of dead ants and diagnosed sand ants.  Out he went to the patio where he found multiple hills.  Spraying commenced outdoors.  These ants are so small that Myster can't even see them from his 6'3" viewpoint.  I have been on ant patrol since 9:00 am.  Death count since spraying stands at 6.  Cleaning was accomplished between patrols.  I have multiple notches on my belt now!  😏

Edited by mysty
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Interesting morning here today and not in a good way.  Today was apartment cleaning day for our two bedroom plus den on the ground floor with a huge patio.  As I was dusting a bookshelf under the dining room window I noticed that some of the dust seemed to be moving.  Closer inspection determined that the moving dots were the teeniest tiniest ants I have ever seen.  And there were a lot of them.  I quickly started squishing the invaders between my fingers.  I found more in the carpet of the master bedroom.  The bodies began to accumulate.  I contacted the Super and he looked at my pile of dead ants and diagnosed sand ants.  Out he went to the patio where he found multiple hills.  Spraying commenced outdoors.  These ants are so small that Myster can't even see them from his 6'3" viewpoint.  I have been on ant patrol since 9:00 am.  Death count since spraying stands at 6.  Cleaning was accomplished between patrols.  I have multiple notches on my belt now!  😏

Mysty is our own 'Brave Little Tailor' "six at one blow!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brave_Little_Tailor

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2021 at 9:52 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm impressed.  Philippe Petit only walked across it once!  [Or was that the World Trade Center???]  🤣

I remember that day.  I was headed to my office on Wall Street and everyone was talking about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

when the ants come in the house, they gotta go, good luck Mysty.  

here, we've got my 70th birthday to contend with. 3 Daughters have been lovely, gaining weight as fast as on any Ss cruise!

Happy Birthday Que🙂....hope it is a great one!..........My Dad had 3 girls too. I am the youngest.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

when the ants come in the house, they gotta go, good luck Mysty.  

here, we've got my 70th birthday to contend with. 3 Daughters have been lovely, gaining weight as fast as on any Ss cruise!

Happy Birthday Que!  Have a glorious birthday celebration!!!!  🥰

• Thanks 1

Happy Birthday QSS! Hope it was great.

Finally bit the bullet and bought plane tix for our November cruise on Silver Spirit. We shall see.

Will plan on a night in Barcelona prior to the cruise and a night in Lisbon afterwards. Looking at hotels now.

Does anyone have a hotel recommendation for Nice? We have one night there after our September cruise.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jp - if you like historic and quirky, consider the Negresco, on the Promenade des Anglais.  We loved it, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.  Do look it up, and have a think about it!  Slick and glitzy it ain't, but fascinating in its own way.

Lola

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1