Rick Steves - How not to be that kind of traveler

evandbob

A friend of mine and her husband went to Italy last year after not having visited in many years. They especially could not believe the use of selfie sticks. People constantly taking photos without a moment's thought of how they are often blocking the views of others (and also how foolish they look).

They suggested the next big hawker item should be a different kind of selfie stick -- a large stick that can be used to beat people taking selfies over the head.

So, very true!

And for Pete's sake, yelling in English is not going to help you when the waiter only speaks French. What will help you is being apologetic that you don't speak the language, pointing at the menu, and some good natured charades. I had a fantastic meal. The yelling couple stomped out, frustrated, complaining about how "rude" the place was.

Thw photographs part struck me - and not the selfies, which are truly awful. A few years ago we were booked for several tours with a family of four in several places in the Mediterranean and the husband spent every stop with his camera in front of his eyes - I assume trying to get that perfect picture. There was no way he could just sit back and take it all in. (Except the Sistine Chapel, where photography is not permitted.) I felt sorry for his family.

Language - Some years ago my husband and I were in a restaurant in Montreal. My French isn't very good, but thanks to seven years of studying Spanish I can read a menu well enough to place an order and add "S'il vous plait." The waiter of course realized that French was not our primary language and switched to English for us. (We had the same experience in Paris, although in smaller towns bilingual staff are far fewer.) A few tables away was a large group of the stereotypcal "ugly Americans" - loud and obnoxious. Funny how none of the wait staff spoke English at that table.:D

Thw photographs part struck me - and not the selfies, which are truly awful. A few years ago we were booked for several tours with a family of four in several places in the Mediterranean and the husband spent every stop with his camera in front of his eyes - I assume trying to get that perfect picture. There was no way he could just sit back and take it all in. (Except the Sistine Chapel, where photography is not permitted.) I felt sorry for his family.

Don’t bother feeling sorry for any of them......it might have been the best thing. You have no way of knowing about their lives or their relationships; don’t presume they want what you want, or presume they don’t all enjoy what everyone is doing. You saw them in a different environment for a short period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This Asian group bashing is just ugly, plain and simple. Yes their customs and social norms are different than yours. But tell me that you could take any large group of Americans on a first time trip to some place like Singapore, Thailand, or China and never manage to trample any of THEIR cultural or social norms, no matter how unwittingly.

Rick may be right but call this cultural stereotyping if you want but Asian tour groups are much much worse than Americans.

DON

Not sure about that, but I've talked to some tour guides who've suggested that Eastern Europeans (specifically Russians) tend to be among the most 'entitled' groups.

That said, I've also seen plenty of cringe-worthy behavior from my fellow US travelers. Most recent egregious example is from last November in Florence. I had scoped out a very local lunch place and my son and I were seated at a communal table (many small Italian restaurants are like that). An American mom and daughter came in after us and were seated with us. But she insisted that they would only dine here if they could get 'real' American Diet Coke. Not the European version (Coca Cola Light, as it's known).

They made a big fuss, the owner was polite and showed them the cooler with the sodas. They saw it was not "Diet Coke" and after much loud complaining they got up and left. I felt embarrassed for them.... And they missed an outstanding meal -- the one my son still remembers from that trip.

RS is wrong about Americans bringing too much stuff. Not everyone wants to live out of a backpack for 3 months and stink because the clothes cannot be cleaned any more. Anyone who has traveled before knows who those people are.

Also, I have friends who are from different places in EU, they bring just as much stuff as we do.

I find the RS style of travel cheap, uncomfortable and unenjoyable, JMHO.

My question would be, why would a person want to travel like he does? :p

Just because a person doesn't travel cheaply doesn't mean they are an ugly tourist.

Safe travels!!!

Edited by Cruisercl
typo

I was at the top of Lombard Street trying to muscle my way through the pack of Asians (not sure the nationality) with their selfie sticks. These people were completely oblivious to anyone around them or the traffic jam they were causing.

I also remember the bus trip from the parking lot to the Hearst Castle. A large group of Korean tourists descended on the waiting area just prior to the bus boarding. When it was time, the group popped up and surged to the front of the line without regard to who had arrived first. The tour guide had been watching and herded the Korean tourists to the back of the line.

Then there's the eating of everything with the fingers, including pulling food out of the mouth after it's been chewed and dropping it on the plate or the napkin.

I lived in Japan for 5 years and don't remember any of this behavior. Maybe we were all more polite back in the '80s.

Or maybe a bunch of Asians just decided to jerk with some dude they sensed to be ethnocentric and judgemental, and play up to his stereotypes just for kicks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Come on folks. You better recognize selfie sticks are here to stay.

Anyway, I understand he has a certain traveling style, but thought the article was a little self righteous. I think there is room for people who might prefer a bus ride over total immersion in the culture. No reason to get into a tizzy because someone might want to eat in a familiar restaurant. I mean, really why should we care what others might prefer.

Or maybe a bunch of Asians just decided to jerk with some dude they sensed to be ethnocentric and judgemental, and play up to his stereotypes just for kicks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

They “sensed” him to be ethnocentric and judgmental?

Is that how you describe others? How you “sense” them to be?

Come on folks. You better recognize selfie sticks are here to stay.

Anyway, I understand he has a certain traveling style, but thought the article was a little self righteous. I think there is room for people who might prefer a bus ride over total immersion in the culture. No reason to get into a tizzy because someone might want to eat in a familiar restaurant. I mean, really why should we care what others might prefer.

Exactly -- it's your trip, and you should do it the way you want, not the way someone else thinks is best for you......The exceptions are if what you want prevents others from enjoying themselves (eg pushing people out of line) or if it is disrespectful to the people and place where you are (eg ignoring dress codes in religious places).

I think there is room for people who might prefer a bus ride over total immersion in the culture. No reason to get into a tizzy because someone might want to eat in a familiar restaurant. I mean, really why should we care what others might prefer.

I guess I just wonder why folks who want to travel in a bubble -- without experiencing local food, local interactions, local transportation, etc -- wouldn't prefer to just stay at home and do their sightseeing by watching tv travel shows or youtube? Seeing the boulevardes of Paris through a bus window isn't much different from seeing them on tv, after all...

I guess I just wonder why folks who want to travel in a bubble -- without experiencing local food, local interactions, local transportation, etc -- wouldn't prefer to just stay at home and do their sightseeing by watching tv travel shows or youtube? Seeing the boulevardes of Paris through a bus window isn't much different from seeing them on tv, after all...

There are all kinds of travelers, and each one has their own wants and needs. I had friends who went to San Francisco for a long weekend. They’d never been there.

They went to the movies several times, and went horseback riding. Saw absolutely nothing of San Francisco. I was appalled, but luckily kept my mouth shut, because they raved about their four day vacation. And the McDonalds and Wendy’s a block from the hotel.

I don't understand traveling in a bubble, either. But there are lots of people who don't understand managing your own luggage on public transportation and renting apartments instead of hotel rooms.

So we all have different styles.

I like to spend a couple of days in a neighborhood. I like going to the nearest food shops, and finding the nearest coffee shop for breakfast. I like blending into the background as much as I can and experiencing life as a local. Yes, i take some pictures. Yes, i buy some souvenirs. Mostly, I travel just to travel. The memories are in my head, and in my heart.

RS is wrong about Americans bringing too much stuff. Not everyone wants to live out of a backpack for 3 months and stink because the clothes cannot be cleaned any more. Anyone who has traveled before knows who those people are.

Also, I have friends who are from different places in EU, they bring just as much stuff as we do.

I find the RS style of travel cheap, uncomfortable and unenjoyable, JMHO.

My question would be, why would a person want to travel like he does? :p

Just because a person doesn't travel cheaply doesn't mean they are an ugly tourist.

Safe travels!!!

I find RS a bit pompous, like his style of travel is the only way... I have traveled to Europe many times, lost count with my European born husband, he packs more than I do, smile. He speaks 6 languages, so we do not do any tours, he can get by anywhere, we also do not stay cheap hotels... but do enjoy the local culture, we enjoy shopping in street markets, checking out neighborhoods and avoiding the typical tourist traps. Doing this is easy with someone who speaks many languages. Americans are at a disadvantage because we using speak English only. To travel like RS suggests, one needs to do research in advance and be willing to not just stick typical tourist areas.

We think Mr. Steves' books are terrific guides for DIYers and often recommend them here on CC. But we will take the so-callled "Ugly American" to a different level and talk about what we see as the "Ugly American Cruiser." Much of what Rick Steves talks about does apply to the Ugly American Cruiser but there is more. Too many cruisers see travel in Europe from a Cruise Line Excursion! To us, there is little about European travel as bad as Cruise Line Excursions. Yes, we know the usual cruiser excuses such as "we cannot speak the language," "we are afraid of missing the ship," "we only feel safe when we are part of a large group tour," etc. etc. Having cruised from over 40 years we have heard most of the excuses.

We have some European friends (who we met on our many trips and even from posting here on CC) who all have the same comment about American tourists and cruisers. And it has to do with being on large buses with other North Americans, following their guide around like sheep, and seeing much of Europe through a bus window. I will admit that in the past few years it has been slowly changing as many cruisers balk at paying the big bucks for large group tours. Many are now seeking out smaller private tours or (heaven forbid) going off on their own.

One great thing about CC is that folks who have an interest in doing things on their own can find all kinds of information, advice, have their questions answered, and get encouragement. But beware of the doom and gloom posters who will tell you "do not do anything on your own because you will miss the ship or be miserable."

If you want to meet and befriend locals it is not going to happen when you are part of a group of 50+ like minded souls. Spend a day walking the streets of Paris, enjoying a nice lunch at a cafe, chatting with folks at the next table, etc. and you might be surprised to find that many Europeans are quite friendly, helpful, and curious about what makes us tick :). And likewise, we have learned a lot about Europe by listening to normal European folks...not professional tour guides who often have another agenda.

Ok....so flame away :).

Hank