Rick Steves - How not to be that kind of traveler

evandbob

Here is my gripe' date=' and yes, I created a thread on this...

One of my big things when traveling is that I try local restaurants where I am traveling and avoid chain restaurants that are in my area. When I was in Costa Rica last year, what is the one of the first advertisements that I saw? Dennys. I also passed by an Applebees between the hotel and the job site. OK, the next time I'm in New England, I may give the McDonald's Lobster Roll a try.

Also, when dining in the MDR, I'm going to try some food which I usually don't have or flinch when I see the price tag. If I don't like it, I can order something else.

I can understand the comfort issue when eating at familiar restaurant. But, doesn't that defeat the purpose of traveling?

The Denny’s and Applebee’s and Burger King in Costa Rica are probably there because the Costa Ricans like foreign food now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's very annoying to many locals that international visitors are not educated to speak in the language of the country they are visiting. Not surprising, but annoying to them non the less. This is true in England and the US especially I have found metro bus drivers that are well versed in English in Paris but won't because they are offended to do so. And why should the have to? They live there!

We think Mr. Steves' books are terrific guides for DIYers and often recommend them here on CC. But we will take the so-called "Ugly American" to a different level and talk about what we see as the "Ugly American Cruiser."

In fairness to Americans the "Ugly Cruiser" should not be associated any specific nationality.

Everyone who cruises even occasionally should have the experience of being in a place when the ships arrive. Observing the behavior of most cruisers, regardless of their nationality, may permanently change your views on cruising.

Cruisers are the least adventuresome of travelers because they evidently need the security and comfort of North American lodging, food and several thousand people just like them when they leave their country. Therefore very few of cruisers will ever blend into the environment.

Edited by K32682

The thing about “getting to know the locals” is the fact that, in most places, there generally are more visitors wanting to get to know locals than there are locals interested in getting to know visitors. We’ve had great conversations with Irish travelers in France, Dutch travelers in Italy and French travelers in Spain. The key seems to be that people outside of their home turf seem to be more interested in striking up conversations with strangers than are people hanging at their own local pub, tapas bar or whatever.

I may be a bit advantaged in this area. Since I often travel solo, I've found that in many places (Italy and Greece particularly), local people almost seem to think it's a reflection on their hospitality if they don't include a solo diner in conversations, especially when tables are close, as they often are in small restaurants. ;)

I know many Europeans that consider Rick Steves a bit of a Mcdonald's of the travelling world and deem his books toy town and so on and only suitable for US travellers. It is all about perception I guess but you won't see many of us with a Rick Steves book on holiday. I am indifferent to the whole travel book thing as I do not read them.

I will say what I always say about tourism and travelling. You will get large groups of travellers that will always be a presence....you will always get travellers whos ways you won't agree with. But if anyone travels the world and enjoys it without annoying anyone else,damaging anything and showing respect then how they want to do it is all good with me. You do not know why someone is camera obsessive or why someone has a selfie stick or why someone insists on wearing socks and sandals.

Just go with it.

Bravo!...well said Velvetwater.

JMHO and pondering:

Why does Rick Steves always seems to have a "guide" with him everywhere he goes? Would love to see him go to a town and see what he can truly do without a local guide.

Why doesn't Rick Steves visit Asian countries? Perhaps he would stand out?...think about it, in Europe, he can easily blend in.

And regarding the selfie-stick: Many years ago, a very nice lady once asked us if we wanted our picture taken. We were thankful and said yes. I handed her my Nikon DSLR. Before she can take our picture...she dropped my camera....everyone nearby heard the heart breaking crash of the camera shattering on the ground. As I picked up the camera, the lady said she's sorry and walked away. I've learned a very expensive lesson from that experience. My point is: We LOVE selfie-sticks.

(Cruisermom42...we've loved all your post and truly respect you...but what you suggested is called an assault.)

(Cruisermom42...we've loved all your post and truly respect you...but what you suggested is called an assault.)

It was simply a gentle joke from my very peaceful friends, expressing their frustration with the truly ubiquitous and at times dangerous use of selfie sticks they experienced during their visit to Rome and Florence.

Selfie sticks have actually been banned in some places (including Milan, some areas within the Vatican City, and a growing number of museums) due to people being injured and also artwork and sites being damaged.

I guess I just wonder why folks who want to travel in a bubble -- without experiencing local food, local interactions, local transportation, etc -- wouldn't prefer to just stay at home and do their sightseeing by watching tv travel shows or youtube? Seeing the boulevardes of Paris through a bus window isn't much different from seeing them on tv, after all...

I guess I wonder why it bothers other folks how I or anyone else travels. Just because you enjoy doing something a certain way doesn't mean everyone else should. It's their vacation, their money, their time, their business how they use it.

I'm seeing a lot of snobbery in this thread (including the article)........traveling is a lot of different things for different people, and I'd rather see people travel (even if they stay in a tour bus or eat at McDonalds) than stay home.

Amen

One thing that Steves din't say in his article, although it's usually quite apparent, is that Americans are generally the largest tourists around.

Hmmm...Are you saying "physically" or "nationality" wise :confused:

In fairness to Americans the "Ugly Cruiser" should not be associated any specific nationality.

Everyone who cruises even occasionally should have the experience of being in a place when the ships arrive. Observing the behavior of most cruisers, regardless of their nationality, may permanently change your views on cruising.

Cruisers are the least adventuresome of travelers because they evidently need the security and comfort of North American lodging, food and several thousand people just like them when they leave their country. Therefore very few of cruisers will ever blend into the environment.

Yes, we do think you made a terrific point and perhaps I should change my comment from "Ugly American Cruiser to simply "Ugly Cruiser."

However, I strongly disagree with your last statement about very few cruisers blending into the environment. We have met many fascinating travelers while on cruisers and learned much from chatting with these folks (which is why DW and I treasure our cocktail time and open sitting meals when we can socialize and learn from others). This is especially true on our longer more exotic itineraries which do seem to attract a different kind of cruiser then we generally meet in a typical Caribbean cruise. Your mistake is assuming that those of us who spend time on cruises do not move outside of that environment. We might take a repositioning cruise to Europe and then spend a month driving around a few countries in a rental car. And there are many other cruisers that do the same and even much more adventurous things. On a long Prinsendam cruise we befriended a single male (early 60s) who was a confirmed Vegan (we found his info on Vegan''s enlightening). After our 2 month cruise he was heading off South America to back pack in the Andes! Another interesting man we met on a long HAL cruise spent hours telling us of his recent adventures in Myanmar (Burma)...one country where we have never traveled. We often share stories with other independent travelers (when on cruises) which has led us to go to new places.

But we have also met cruisers that seem to have no clue that independent travelers even exist on a ship. They often dine at a Fixed Dining table (either by themselves of with a few other old like-minded friends) and seldom socialize with others outside of their closed group. These folks are the one's that tell us things like "we would never leave a ship unless we were on an excursion" or "its too dangerous going ashore on your own," etc. Their attitude is that life is good and there is no reason to try anything new...such as a different cruise line....DIY travel, etc. But while this type of traveler does exist on most cruises, there are plenty of others who do not fit in this box. For us, the reality is that we have met many wonderful and fascinating folks on our many cruise vacations who we should call "Beautiful Cruisers" as opposed to the "Ugly Cruiser" that most of us have also encountered.

Hank

Actually one of the things I have found in recent years, no matter where you are in the world, if you go to a large shopping center/mall it all looks the same, this been true for us in Europe and the Middle East... so our world is getting smaller and more similar... unless you really go off the beaten track... happy travels no matter what your style.

Why are you griping about what other people enjoy doing? What does it matter to you?

All that I said is that it bothers me. That's all.

And why does wanting familiar food defeat the "purpose" of traveling? I'd rather see a traveler want to avoid stomach upset by eating familiar foods than someone who stays home and doesn't travel.

I'm staying in Miami for a few days prior to the cruise. In the area bordered by US-41 to the North, Interstate-95 to the West, SW 15th Road to the South, and the Miami South Channel to East, there is a McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Subway, Morton's Steakhouse, PF Changs, Dunkin' Donuts, Jimmy John's, and yes, even a Starbucks in that area. All of these places are in the Sacramento area.

Now, within one block of my hotel are: Batch Gastropub, Brickell Kitchen, Piola (Pizza), Zuuk Mediterranean Kitchen, My Ceviche (Peru Seafood), Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ, Coyo Taco, and Freddo Brickell (Ice Cream Shop). That's a fairly interesting selection right there. Most of these appear to be local businesses. Beyond the one-block is a restaurant that has me interested: "Dolores But You Can Call Me Lolita"

That's why it's getting very heard to find a good souvenir anymore. You can buy the same thing anywhere.

That may be true if you go to a big store or one recommended by the cruise ship or one that the cruise ship tour takes you to. However, almost every port has shops that have locally made crafts or art work. You just have to look for them and probably pay more than the junk stamped out in factories in China. You also have to look at the labels on the products before you buy them.

I do wonder if "bubble travel" is as harmless as some posters suggest:confused:. When I have travelled to destinations that attracts a lot of big organised tours I find there is one of two things usually happening. The destination either emulates the place of origin of whatever is the largest tourist group, whether it is by bringing in their popular franchise or putting their food on the menu or even designing streets and buildings that look like they could have come from their country. Or the destination plays heavily into the stereotypes of their culture because they find the visitors respond really positively to it and seem to somewhat expect it:o. Developing countries I've noticed seem to do this the most.

While these things do seem to help businesses sell more stuff to tourists I do kind of think that it is bit of a negative that some places seem to feel pressured to conform to the ideas of what the visitor expects of them rather than the visitor just appreciating or accepting the place for what it is.

Rick may be right but call this cultural stereotyping if you want but Asian tour groups are much much worse than Americans.

DON

THIS A thousand times. the overly perky tour guide with the white gloves and the 10 foot long flag pole they all follow like a pack of sheep. I have also found Brazilians to be quite obnoxious since they travel in very large packs as well. they especially feign ignorance of the language when called out on they behavior.

One thing I will always appreciate about being a Navy Family is the emphasis on 'blending in' when stationed overseas. you get like a week of indoctrination that shows you how to interact with the locals without annoying them to no end. it made our travels to other locals much more enjoyable.

I

I lived in Japan for 5 years and don't remember any of this behavior. Maybe we were all more polite back in the '80s.

HUGE difference culturally between Japan and Korea. you cannot compare the actions of a Korean Tour Group to a Japanese one. ( or Chinese/Singapore/Taiwan)

For me, this is not quite true. The destination is just as important as the experience.. I choose destination first. then work the journey and pack accordingly. We enjoy DIY tours or just turning corner and being surprised at what we find

I t has always been a tradition for us to always stop for people taking photos up to a reasonable amount of time. That does not mean 3 reorganizations of the shots. We like to eat in local restaurants and if possible, trying the exotic dishes. Think monkey brains. Many dishes that sounded disgusting through interpretation were actually very tasty.

One part of a journey that burned my butt was once I had gotten in position and was almost in focus to take a shot of the Mona Lisa and was knocked aside by a band of Asian tourist shooting selfies. Shot lost. I am a quick shooter. pretty much I can target, focus and shoot, then move out of the way so others can get a picture. Another event, upon exiting an elevator on a cruise, I was knocked down to the floor by 2 Asian women rushing into a full car before those inside could get out..

I see many many inconsiderate people of all nationalities on trips, but the majority of those are Asian No stereotyping here folks. Just the facts folks.

I think we are saying the same thing. The location you travel to is also important to me. My point was that if you take a trip to Thailand and spend the trip looking for/shopping in outlet malls and eating at McDonald’s; you haven’t actually been to Thailand. Yes, you traveled there but you certainly didn’t experience Thailand.

Actually, it's both.......but we all don't have to have the same experience, nor the same depth of experience. To each one's own. Better to have a partial experience than none at all.

I see nothing wrong with "insisting" on an American Diet Coke if it's important to you, nor with going somewhere else if you can't get what you want. In fact, that's part of the experience and the education of world travel......discovering that the entire world does not want what you want, or have what you have. Maybe the next time, she won't bother asking for a Diet Coke, and will just have water instead, if she's not ready to try buying a drink she might not like. Or maybe she's already tried Coca Cola Light and knows she doesn't like it.

If she insisted on getting a Diet Coke and walked out of a restaurant over it; I think you are giving her entirely too much credit towards her adapting to her situation. True, she may not like Coca Cola light but there are certainly other beverages available; which she found unacceptable. It’s an attitude that the action represents more than the action itself. She’s saying that since she can’t get the exact same product she can get at home she has no interest in the experience.

How often does someone come on here and say ‘I don’t tip at home and don’t believe in tipping so I won’t tip when I’m in the US’. And they get berated about the fact that customs vary based on the region and they should accept the new customs while traveling. This is no different to me. What was probably a perfectly nice restaurant lost business because this lady can’t get over herself.

Interesting points of view. Over the years my family has done a lot of independent land travel, river cruises, "small" ships like Lindblad. I lived in France for 3 months and visited regularly for years. However as my parents age and my mom has severe arthritis and mobility issues, cruising has become a good option. We do a mix of independent and ship "bus" tours because most offer accessibility, not because we don't want to "immerse" into the culture. Particularly in Europe where not every where has access for someone with a walker.

Edited by PoofCat99
Typo

Actually one of the things I have found in recent years, no matter where you are in the world, if you go to a large shopping center/mall it all looks the same, this been true for us in Europe and the Middle East... so our world is getting smaller and more similar... unless you really go off the beaten track... happy travels no matter what your style.

We were walking through a mall in Canberra, Australia, looking at the stores which looked like the ones at malls at home, except with totally different names. Then we heard an announcement: “Blue Light Special”!

K-Mart!

It’s always a strange feeling to me to see the name of an American store or restaurant when I’m out of the country.

Like they don’t belong, but I will admit that after two or three weeks away, Burger King or KFC taste pretty darn good!

This almost prevented me from ever cruising. :D

And regarding the selfie-stick: Many years ago, a very nice lady once asked us if we wanted our picture taken. We were thankful and said yes. I handed her my Nikon DSLR. Before she can take our picture...she dropped my camera....everyone nearby heard the heart breaking crash of the camera shattering on the ground. As I picked up the camera, the lady said she's sorry and walked away. I've learned a very expensive lesson from that experience. My point is: We LOVE selfie-sticks.

Others have had the person run off with the camera.

And it not only Americans with selfie sticks. I see a lot more Asians with them these days. And many Europeans.