Adjoining cabins

Connecting or adjoining? Connecting has the doorway between the 2 cabins...adjoining is simply "next door". I've never felt a need to be too close to ANY others in my party! Sound can travel under the connecting doorway. If you're loud, sound can travel thru walls, too! So be quiet or move to a different cabin, where those who might hear you, won't know you!

We booked a cabin that adjoins to my brother-in-law and his wife. I am now questioning my decision. For those that have booked this type of cabin will it interfere their privacy (or ours) as far as sound?

TIA

It all depends on the volume level of your neighbors. If they are quiet, no problem. If they are not quiet, you will hear them much better through that connecting door, than the wall.

I would say it depends on what ship and how much you value your privacy. Three of us solos travel together and if the balcony partition can be opened on a particular ship, then the connecting door is not needed. If you happen to be on a ship where the partitions are not able to be opened, then it's nice to have the connecting door so that you can at least tell the other person you're ready to go somewhere instead of calling or texting.

When you embark you will have to get the steward to unlock the connecting door. You can then close the door any time you want and it will stay closed... but in my experience, it cannot be locked unless the steward does it.

Would not book a connecting cabin if I didn't know the people in the other cabin... just because you do seem to be able to hear loud voices and noises. Others will obviously have their own experiences on ships that I've not been on.

We’ve had an issue with noise 2 times when we’ve had connecting cabins. Once was the loud cougher next door (poor buddy must have had a cold), and the other was the sobbing sad lady who was having a horrible time and kept calling home :(. Once we had a noise issue from above- there was a frisky and vocal couple in the room above us [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should never book adjoining cabins unless you have young children in one of them?

The door between the cabins does not lock on either side, and can be opened anytime.

It is almost like it is not even there.

Your basically sharing a room with them.

You should have gotten cabins next door but not connecting.

On balcony's you could open the partition. But at least you can lock the door..

You should never book adjoining cabins unless you have young children in one of them?

The door between the cabins does not lock on either side, and can be opened anytime.

It is almost like it is not even there.

Your basically sharing a room with them.

You should have gotten cabins next door but not connecting.

On balcony's you could open the partition. But at least you can lock the door..

Adjoining cabins do not have a connecting door. Adjoining means simply next door to each other in the standard corridor of rooms.

Connecting cabins have an interior connecting door. This door does lock; you have to request the cabin steward to unlock. Works well for families especially for kids. However, if you happen to have a connecting cabin with strangers you simply don’t request the door to be unlocked. There can be more noise through that interior connecting door. Many people prefer not to book a connecting cabin unless it’s for their kids.

Adjoining cabins do not have a connecting door. Adjoining means simply next door to each other in the standard corridor of rooms.

Connecting cabins have an interior connecting door. This door does lock; you have to request the cabin steward to unlock. Works well for families especially for kids. However, if you happen to have a connecting cabin with strangers you simply don’t request the door to be unlocked. There can be more noise through that interior connecting door. Many people prefer not to book a connecting cabin unless it’s for their kids.

I thought adjoining cabins are connecting cabins.

If not, I am not sure what the problem the OP has. There is always someone next door.

Not sure what the OP was talking about

I know the door can be locked/unlocked and has to stay either way. I am sure they would keep it open.

We had these cabins a few times when the kids where little. Not anymore..

I thought adjoining cabins are connecting cabins.

If not, I am not sure what the problem the OP has. There is always someone next door.

Not sure what the OP was talking about

I know the door can be locked/unlocked and has to stay either way. I am sure they would keep it open.

We had these cabins a few times when the kids where little. Not anymore..

Well, kinda. All connecting cabins are adjoining, but not all adjoining cabins are connecting.

In travel-industry speak, "adjoining" means next to or across the hall (can even be diagonally) from each other, but NO door between them. "Connecting" means two rooms next to each other (hence they ARE adjoining) THAT HAVE A DOOR between them - in other words, they literally connect.

For the experienced cruisers.....what are some other ways of soundproofing connecting doors? Thank you.

Here's a few that we've read here on CC:

* Use towels below the door.

* Use duct tape.

* Cabin steward using a blanket to cover door.

* If you can, move to a different cabin....:)

I guess I’ve always used the words “adjoining” and “connecting” interchangeably. So I learning something new.;)

I’m a light sleeper and twice I’ve has a connecting cabin. First time, I could hear some muffled noise thru the door – mostly the TV – but once in a while a child crying. The second time, not a peep. The young couple next door was very quiet.

One thing to look out for is a cabin next to the service doors used by the crew. You’ll may hear them come and go at all hours of the day and night. The service areas are usually the white space on the deck plans next to a cabin.

When I cruised on the Grandeur of the seas, my daughters were in the connecting cabin next to us. I had wished we had the cabin that the door opened into so we could have blocked with a chair. The next year on Anthem, they were just next door.

There was no noise difference either way.

We booked a cabin that adjoins to my brother-in-law and his wife. I am now questioning my decision. For those that have booked this type of cabin will it interfere their privacy (or ours) as far as sound?

TIA

I recommend you CHANGE CABINS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Only one door on RC ships.

Anthem connecting cabins have double doors between each so likely is the same on other Quantum class ships..

The shot below is the connecting door between balcony cabins on Anthem and shows the two latch plates and a double door frame.

anthemConnectingDoor02.jpg.e9be7e15fdad970207092d0e632837c4.jpg