Elite cocktail hours extended...permanent change

ghstudio

For us ... apart from the extended time frame, not an improvement.

We don't drink to excess, and we don't pig out on the appetizers. For the most part,  I'll have only one or two glasses of wine. We don't do drinks packages. However, we very much enjoy the Lounge ambience and the opportunity to sit by a window and watch the sunsets from a prime upper deck overview. Of course, we know that this isn't always the case; Transatlantics are an exception, and we go with the flow.

Still, I really don't want to sip my pre-dinner wine in a crowded, noisy, and dark interior bar venue. And I can't imagine that processing a sea pass card every time, for every guest wouldn't be time consuming for the server (and our service)!

While I can see that some folks might be happier with this new arrangements, we're not. I like to dress up a wee bit for dinner, and I've always felt special in the lounge. I agree with "Leaveitallbehind." The new policy seems to be a general erosion of our Elite benefits.

• Like 4

Well, upon further reflection, as long as the lounge remains open as before, there's nothing negative about providing the other options, for those who prefer them. My concern though ... this might well be the beginning of the end for our evening Elite lounge?

6 hours ago, ghstudio said:

The elite cocktail hours are now 4:30-7:30 and you can get drinks at all bars and restaurants  except the cellar master.  This is permanent on reflection and most likely on other ships that have converted to coupons on your sea card..per our captains club hostess. 

Changing the time of the happy hour makes it more like Royal Caribbean, which has a Diamond Happy Hour from 4:30 to 8 and you can order drinks in the MDR or other restaurants or bars.  However, on Royal if you stay in the Diamond Lounge, you are not limited to 3 drinks, the 3 drink in your key card are for outside the Diamond Lounge.   So Celebrity's change is half the benefit of Royal.    We normally don't drink more than 3 drinks while in the Elite Happy Hour on Celebrity, but with the extended time, we would still likely purchase some wine with dinner.

Still, the change is an improvement.  Now, just stop the price bundling of beverage packages that we don't want.  Every time that I try to book a Celebrity cruise, except for repos or transatlantics, the price includes a promo that I don't want.  This makes the overall price higher.  That is why Royal's prices are generally lower, since they don't bundle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AC Stew said:

Well, upon further reflection, as long as the lounge remains open as before, there's nothing negative about providing the other options, for those who prefer them. My concern though ... this might well be the beginning of the end for our evening Elite lounge?

You are possibly on the right track about this.  Once ships undergo the upcoming revolution dry dock it has been speculated that the Sky Lounge will be converted to something else.  It does not exist on Edge Class.  Edge is having 3 drink vouchers at any lounge for Elite/Elite+ members.  This could become the norm for all ships after they get modernized.

4 hours ago, AC Stew said:

For us ... apart from the extended time frame, not an improvement.

However, we very much enjoy the Lounge ambience and the opportunity to sit by a window and watch the sunsets from a prime upper deck overview. Of course, we know that this isn't always the case; Transatlantics are an exception, and we go with the flow.

While I can see that some folks might be happier with this new arrangements, we're not. I like to dress up a wee bit for dinner, and I've always felt special in the lounge. The new policy seems to be a general erosion of our Elite benefits.

Seems to me that you can still do want you wish even on Transatlantics.  At least we have been able to enjoy the Sky Lounge if we wished,  even With coupons on Transatlantic cruises.

On the otherhand I understand your point about the Lounge.  Based on the numbers when the coupons were used in the past, I thing a vast majority of the qualified cruisers did not really value the Lounge experience.  (Especially with the number of drink packages). We had some great times at the Sunset Bar when coupons were used.

I hope the Lounge experience is still a good experience for you.

Really appreciate the flexibility this change provides.

There will be times when we will head up to the Sky Lounge, others when we head to the Sunset Bar.

The ability to have a glass of wine at dinner on the house is nice as well.

The last few cruises I've taken have had several hundred Elites and above.  Not enough room in the lounge makes being able to go somewhere and get a seat a nice option.  On the Silhouette's northern TA next weekend, where most don't have a drink package, it'll be cold with a gazillion Elites so the lounge and most of the indoor bars should be packed.   

Edited by goofysmom99

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Three drinks is plenty. I have no compliant about that. 

Again, my only point - and it is only my opinion - is that it is a change that diminishes the original benefit in the lounge.  It is not a matter of how much is enough, it is only that three is now less of a benefit than unlimited.

However, I also agree that it is an enhancement to be able on every day (regardless of number of Elites on board) to be able to go to alternative venues to enjoy the cocktails.  So I will say that after thinking about this aspect of it, I do see the extension of the benefit in that regard.   So I guess on balance it isn't all a lesser trade.

I just compare it to my primary experience with RCI where, along with the three drink coupons for any venue, they (at least to date to my knowledge) have maintained the unlimited position in the Diamond Lounge

I appreciate everyone's input.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

We are E+ only went to the Elite cocktail hour once and have never used a coupon,  the reasons were the same that many complained about: 

- most days hours to early for us as we are later diners and don’t want cocktail at 5 or 6

- cocktails had to be consumed in the Lounge, so not able to go just before 7 and grab a glass of wine to take to dinner, or grab a drink to take to the cabin and enjoy on the balcony 

-had to be properly dressed to go to the Lounge.

IMHO extending the hours and allowing coupons to be used in almost all venues is an improvement to the Elite/E+  benefits.

I agree. The venue was terribly underutilized the one time we were there so it was a "one and done" for us.  Dressing for dinner that early was also a turn off for DH.  I appreciate the extra hour and the choice to use the coupons elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, NemoCrownie said:

I agree. The venue was terribly underutilized the one time we were there so it was a "one and done" for us.  Dressing for dinner that early was also a turn off for DH.  I appreciate the extra hour and the choice to use the coupons elsewhere.

Not any enhancement for those with Alc packages they bought or selected as a perk.....maybe some will skip that in the future???

Hopefully having  gatherings at various places around the ship on EDGE will be interesting if they follow through on that plan.

EDGE Cap Club party will be night 1 in EDEN,  also interesting.

Nothing mentioned about the Sr Officers event for Elite and up.. Last one  we attendd on Infinity was overcrowded because they invited every level....

This is my thought as well. There are so many passengers now eligible for the three drink benefit that there may not be a venue on the ship large enough to hold all comfortably. I have been in the Sky Lounge for Happy Hour when it was so full you could barely move. I have also been there when it was half empty. I think that allowing the three drinks to be used throughout the ship eliminates the crowding issue. It also opens up Sky Lounge for other events in the early evening.

I like the change. I can’t personally picture downing more than 3 drinks during the original Elite Lounge time, and I’d think that would be a bit of a challenge considering the time waiting for service, socializing and so on, I think you’d have to concentrate on knocking them down.  

I like it especially that we go with Main/Early dining and the 5-7pm gave us 1 hr and this gives us the extra 1/2 hr prior to dinner, hopefully socializing at the Elite gathering, and the use of the full time since we can order a drink/wine at dinner. Great options for most.

I know each of us have differing views of this, but since it added 1hr and extends ordering drinks in the MDR, all can enjoy the full 3hrs. And if you find having drinks at this time period too early, I guess you hated it even more before since it ended at 7pm. 

Den

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I like the change. I can’t personally picture downing more than 3 drinks during the original Elite Lounge time, and I’d think that would be a bit of a challenge considering the time waiting for service, socializing and so on, I think you’d have to concentrate on knocking them down.  

I like it especially that we go with Main/Early dining and the 5-7pm gave us 1 hr and this gives us the extra 1/2 hr prior to dinner, hopefully socializing at the Elite gathering, and the use of the full time since we can order a drink/wine at dinner. Great options for most.

I know each of us have differing views of this, but since it added 1hr and extends ordering drinks in the MDR, all can enjoy the full 3hrs. And if you find having drinks at this time period too early, I guess you hated it even more before since it ended at 7pm. 

Den

We prefer dining at 8 or 8:30, especially when we've spent the day in port. It gives us a chance to relax, shower, dress before dinner. It would be nice since they are extending the HH times  and limiting to 3 drinks on the seapass card if they would take into consideration that a large portion of the ship does the same. The option of ordering a cocktail or wine with dinner is lost to the late diners whose onboard routines are similar to ours. I have no problem with the 3 drink limit, but it's just a thought.

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

We prefer dining at 8 or 8:30, especially when we've spent the day in port. It gives us a chance to relax, shower, dress before dinner. It would be nice since they are extending the HH times  and limiting to 3 drinks on the seapass card if they would take into consideration that a large portion of the ship does the same. The option of ordering a cocktail or wine with dinner is lost to the late diners whose onboard routines are similar to ours. I have no problem with the 3 drink limit, but it's just a thought.

Good point.  Celebrity was probably thinking that since the late Traditional dining show is a predinner show that late diners would potentially have more of a benefit. 

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Good point.  Celebrity was probably thinking that since the late Traditional dining show is a predinner show that late diners would potentially have more of a benefit. 

We’ve been boycotting the show for years, ever since it moved to before dinner.  Since it’s now three drinks on the card, it would be nice to have them be anytime after 5 pm.  

14 hours ago, TeeRick said:

You are possibly on the right track about this.  Once ships undergo the upcoming revolution dry dock it has been speculated that the Sky Lounge will be converted to something else.  It does not exist on Edge Class.  Edge is having 3 drink vouchers at any lounge for Elite/Elite+ members.  This could become the norm for all ships after they get modernized.

I hate to see the Sky Lounge taken away.  One of the things about the layout of the Celebrity ships, all classes, is that you can see the ocean well all over the ship.  However, the Sky Lounge is special.   

We did an NCL cruise on the Dawn for New England and Eastern Canada.   NCL had take away nearly all the places on the ship where you can enjoy viewing the ocean.  They converted the equivalent of the Sky Lounge into cabins, also, put the spa and fitness center aft of the buffet so there is no sunset bar to enjoy breakfast in the morning outside.  Not good.

14 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Would not be surprised if they converted the Sky Lounge into cabins. The trend of so called modernizations by cruise lines has included adding cabins. I am wary of the upcoming revolution dry docks. 

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, 4774Papa said:

Changing the time of the happy hour makes it more like Royal Caribbean, which has a Diamond Happy Hour from 4:30 to 8 and you can order drinks in the MDR or other restaurants or bars.  However, on Royal if you stay in the Diamond Lounge, you are not limited to 3 drinks, the 3 drink in your key card are for outside the Diamond Lounge.   So Celebrity's change is half the benefit of Royal.    We normally don't drink more than 3 drinks while in the Elite Happy Hour on Celebrity, but with the extended time, we would still likely purchase some wine with dinner.

Still, the change is an improvement.  Now, just stop the price bundling of beverage packages that we don't want.  Every time that I try to book a Celebrity cruise, except for repos or transatlantics, the price includes a promo that I don't want.  This makes the overall price higher.  That is why Royal's prices are generally lower, since they don't bundle.

I"m pretty sure on RCL that the 3 drinks on your card are not available in the restaurants. At least they weren't on Adventure a couple months ago. 

Also, was Celebrity ever unlimited at the Elite HH?