Choice Air-good idea or bad

andymattmom

Have a long time until August 15, 2020 Apex cruise. Cruise starts in Barcelona and ends in Rome. 

What are the pros and cons of Choice Air? How do the fares compare? 

Yes, we know to fly in a couple days prior! I know fares aren’t available for a long time but I like to plan..,,

We have used Choice Air for  many of our international trips.  One way fares to Europe have been far lower than booking direct with the airline.  I would suggest that when fares become a available check flights with the airlines, then check prices on Choice Air.  Most of the time you can save $.  If you don’t see the exact flight on Choice Air that you want give them a call, they generally can get a decent rate.  

I never book on-line with Choice Air, I always call that way I can make sure the ticket has no strange restrictions, I get the airline booking reference # and can then log into the airlines website and select my seats. 

• Thanks 1

Do some research ahead of time.  Find out which airlines leave from your area.  Check out all the airlines and options for getting to Barcelona.  Kayak is another tool.  Once you find a flight/time/route/airline you are happy with, call Choice Air and check out the rates.  Sometimes they may have other options that will suit you.  Usually at the 11 month mark for U.S. airlines and up to 12 months for foreign carriers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andymattmom said:

Have a long time until August 15, 2020 Apex cruise. Cruise starts in Barcelona and ends in Rome. 

What are the pros and cons of Choice Air? How do the fares compare? 

Yes, we know to fly in a couple days prior! I know fares aren’t available for a long time but I like to plan..,,

Make sure you are comparing the same type of ticket.  Our flight seemed cheaper on Choice Air but when we compared the class of coach, there was no saving. There appeared to be a saving but when all was said and done.... Do your homework.

• Thanks 1

You do need to do your own research first. When I was looking for Delta international flights, Flights by Celebrity (their new brand name) used the term "Premium Economy" for both Delta's Comfort Plus and Premium Economy classes of service even though they are significantly different classes of service.

Also, since Flights by Celebrity does not allow you to select seats during their booking process, you should generally check seat availabilities with the carrier (or perhaps with Seat Guru) prior to booking. You also need to make sure that you do not unknowingly book a fare class that does not allow you to select a seat until just prior to boarding!

I just used them for non-stop round-trip international flights and received at a little over 5% savings.

Larry

Edited by NantahalaCruiser
  • Thanks 1

We have only used Choice Air 2 times now. Our last cruise I got the airlines I wanted for our business class seats and it only costed just over $5000 for two. Flights were Seattle/ Barcelona and LHR/Seattle. We flew on Delta, Joon and Virgin Atlantic.

Have used choice air for many years with no issues.

However, the agents now have no idea what they are selling. They told us that we have to find out from airlines if checked baggage is included or not on international flights. One agent said we don’t sell tickets with no checked bags as we know cruise guests have to check in bags. Wrong. They sold us tickets with from Miami to Porto, Portugal with no checked bags. Still fighting to get refund as we cancelled within 24 hours!

• Thanks 1

The answer for the OP is "it depends."  Once you are within 330 days of your return date you should explore the Choice Air options and compare them with booking on your own via a site like Kayac or Orbitz.  

As to luggage, each airline has their own policy and fees.  Booking through Choice Air does not include luggage fees unless it part of the normal airline policy such as free luggage with Business Class.  If there are fees for luggage you must pay that direct to the airline

Hank

Before using Choice Air, you should check out fares on Kayak or Matrix then compare with Choice Air.

We used Choice Air a few years ago for a one-way flight, since we took a TransAtlantic cruise on the trip.  The price was the best we could find.  That doesn't mean it will always be the best.

We used choice air for our flights going from southern california to FLL - went on a B2B2B cruise that ended in Amsterdam.  We had choice air returning us from Amsterdam to LAX premium economy.  It was a hassle trying to get seats assigned, then they kept changing the flight times and once changed us to a different flight, but I got that switched back.  Got to Florida okay, did the cruise.  In Amsterdam, got to airport and our flight that was suppose to take us to London had mechanical problems.  We finally got to London 5 hours late and missed our connection home (which was on premium economy).  I had called choice air while we were sitting in Amsterdam and basically told there was nothing they could do - they did not attempt to rebook us on another flight out of London, nothing.

Once we got to London, we worked with British Airways.  We ended up taking a flight from London to JFK, spent the night in the airport from 11:00 pm until the next morning at 6:00 a.m. and then went to LAX.

Once I got home 18 hours after we should have been home I called everyone.  I learned that the Europeans have a flight interruption fee that you get if the airline screws you and we received $1300 each, and then I called Celebrity Captains Club and got a refund of $1,000 because choice air would not take responsibility for refunding us for the difference in seating price of economy and premium economy.  So it ended up that we got refunded all the money that I spent for the airline costs in the beginning, but it was "hell" traveling home.

Before I book another flight with Choice Air, I am going to get phone numbers to call when I am out of the country to get help if needed.  I did not find choice air helpful at all.  The price is good, the service not so much.  Celebrity was great.

We used choice air from SFO to BCN via ZRH. We flew biz class on Swiss Air and paid $1400pp vs $6000 on the airline website. We didn't encounter any problems and had no problems getting seats assigned, but were unable to do so online. Perhaps we were just lucky 🙂

Look at similar flights for 2019 on the CA website vs something like google air. Things may change by 2020 but at least you will have an idea.

We have used Celebrity's Flights twice and found the prices well below the airline pricing. Do your normal homework and you should be fine. Once you book and get your locator number just go online and pick your seats on the airlines web site.

J.

To the OP, I use Choice Air when it makes sense.  Keep in mind that Choice Air is simply a travel agent obtaining plane tickets on your behalf.  They also offer certain guarantees which I take with a grain of salt given they are not in control of another companies airplanes.

As others have said, do your research (I use ITA Matrix and Google Flights) to see what routes/prices are available.  Once I do that I check the pricing on the Airline website, Choice Air and other well known travel sites.  Only if I see lower prices offered by Choice Air do I consider them.  Before booking using Choice Air I make sure it's an apples to apples comparison.  Many also state that your seat is not booked using the same fare rules which may limit how you can be rerouted in the event of a problem.  I've not experienced that so I'll take their word for it.

Will I book using Choice Air in the future.... absolutely as long as I've done my homework.

I did a lot of research and then with DH too busy to make decisions.. we waited a tad too long for the very best deal...

that said we booked Biz In'tl /FC domestic tickets one way for about 30% of a ticket with the airline to an airport in the region..about 2-3 hrs from the house

(What was too late was our home airport ticket - arrival would be 30 drive home BUT that ticket was double by the time Dh was ready to focus!!  so we booked the other airport)

20 hours ago, roxievegas said:

I learned that the Europeans have a flight interruption fee that you get if the airline screws you

For those curious, google EU261 for details of the legislation referred to.   Note that it applies to European airlines, and to US airlines on flights departing from Europe.  It will not apply on, for example, a Delta/United/American flight going TO Europe from the states, only the reverse.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:38 PM, jelayne said:

We have used Choice Air for  many of our international trips.  One way fares to Europe have been far lower than booking direct with the airline.... Most of the time you can save $.

Just be sure you are comparing apples to apples.  Same flight on the same date in the same cabin class does not equal the same ticket; different rules and restrictions may apply.  Often this ends up not mattering, but these differences can become apparent when there are major flight disruptions. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2018 at 10:52 PM, jelayne said:

We have gotten Business Class seats for 50%+ less than what the airline wanted to book direct.  This summer we got 1 way Business Class, Amsterdam to DFW on Delta for <$1000 each.  Economy was right around $400.

Wow, that's fantastic. How far in advance did you book?

• 3 weeks later...

When booking air through Celebrity, it is possible to fly in a few days prior to the cruise and/or stay a few days after the cruise?  If so, is there an extra fee to do this?

Have sailed with Celebrity a couple of times but have never used their air.

1 minute ago, RJ2002 said:

When booking air through Celebrity, it is possible to fly in a few days prior to the cruise and/or stay a few days after the cruise?  If so, is there an extra fee to do this?

Yes, you can add days at either end of the cruise.  There's not a charge for this though the fare may be different to fly on a different day.  We've had good luck with Celebrity flights, especially one-way transatlantics.

1 minute ago, RJ2002 said:

I use ChoiceAir all the time and find usually excellent for international trips.  Domestically most of the time I find the rates at least on my routes to be the same as the airlines, sometimes slightly less. 

As others have said - do your research.   Sometimes the tickets will be basic economy which do not include things like seat selection and baggage.   We had one such flight on British Airway where the cheapest fare did not include Luggage on a Barcelona to London flight and BA wanted $100 per bag which in total was much more expensive than booking a slightly higher ticket.  

For domestic I find the best way to search is Google Flights and setup and alert.  I just booked a return from FLL to SFO in First Class for $471 it took almost a week before ChoiceAir had that rate.    Currently rates on ChoiceAir run between $471 - 778.   

We used Choice Air in December to fly from our home to the port, FLL, and then from Orlando afternoon our family vacation.  It was a very good experience.  We are using Choice Air on Friday for our upcoming cruise.  Had a bit of an issue as hey switched our flight to an unacceptable flight.  However, they did wonders and managed to switch us at no cost so I am one happy traveller.

snow bunny

We have used Choice Air a couple of times without any problems. We recently booked our flights with Choice Air for a Sep. cruise, traveling biz class from MIA to PRG (pre-cruise) for $1335 pp with Lufthansa. Then from PRG to FCO coach for $68, returning from FCO to FLL biz with United for $1060. When compared to the airlines’ websites, this was quite a savings.

Keep checking Choice Air as fares do change on a daily basis, so if you see a great fare, grab it immediately. They usually allow a 24 hour hold. One other thing. The cruise line is now letting you book at the low fare without charging your credit card until final payment for your cruise. This is a nice feature. However, there is no guarantee that you will get the seats you want. Until the airline actually issues the ticket (payment being received), the airline can change your seats. When I tried to change my seats, it stated that I had to wait until 24 hrs. prior to the flight. Once I actually paid for the tickets, I was able to change seats.

Larry