San Francisco cruise

susan1957

Good morning, not sure if anyone can help me.  I have been searching for a while myself.  My sister and I would like to go on a cruise that would either go out of or stop at San Francisco in April or May / 19....Reason.  we would like to do the Alcatraz tour.  HELLP

1 hour ago, susan1957 said:

Good morning, not sure if anyone can help me.  I have been searching for a while myself.  My sister and I would like to go on a cruise that would either go out of or stop at San Francisco in April or May / 19....Reason.  we would like to do the Alcatraz tour.  HELLP

Go to the Princess.com web site shown below.

Find Cruises

Then select the departure port in the drop down box, San Francisco

Select April and May 2019 to the right

You will see all the Princess cruises that depart from S.F. during this time.

Then

Reset the departure port to any

Select Show more options

Select San Francisco in the itinerary drop down box

Again select April & May

This will show all the cruises that have a port stop at S.F.

https://www.princess.com/find/search.do

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Re: the Alcatraz tour. DIY.

The place for the tour is a very short walk from the pier where the ship docks.

Buy your tickets online and on the day you're in port, walk over to the tour. Easy Peasy.

I agree. You will save a bunch of money AND have more control of the time. It is a fun tour and easy to arrange yourself.

Also, prepare for possible disappointment with regards to the government shutdown. Although currently open for day tours, evening tours and behind the scenes tours are not operating. It's possible that Alcatraz will close entirely, as it did during the 2013 shutdown.

2 hours ago, Paula72941 said:

The  California coastal on Princess  stops in  San Francisco .  I’ve done the cruise twice and loved it. My whole family enjoyed the  Alcatraz tour .  I believe it’s on the schedule for April  

Yes it is the Royal Princess April 25 ,2019 .We are doing the April 18  Mexican Riviera cruise first & then the B2B Coastal Ca cruise stopping in SF ,Monterey ,SD ,Ensenada Mx  .Great ship & great cruises :classic_biggrin:

If you do the Alcatraz trip, if you can include it, opt for including a trip on the Alcatraz boat to Angel Island. There is a guided island tour explaining the island's historical significance in guarding SF and the Golden Gate. The tour will also stop at locations for some incredible photo op's of SF and the Golden Gate Bridge. There is also a snack bar and maybe bike rentals, IIRC.

A real gem of the Bay Area.

Edited by EDDY0827

In addition to Princess, I know Celebrity also has an itinerary in May that stops in SF.  

And, once you've booked your cruise and have a date for SF, go online about 90 days ahead of time and buy your Alcatraz tickets.  https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/tour-options/

This will be your least expensive option with no loss of amenities.  The ferry that takes you over picks up just down the Embarcadero from Pier 27 ... all flat with a sidewalk towards Fisherman's Wharf ... like a 5 min walk.  

Once you get to where you tour inside the jail, be sure to get the audio headset ... it's very interesting.  Save some time for hiking around (if you have no mobility challenges) to get some of the best vistas of the bay and the City.  

Be sure to take a light to heavy jacket, though ... it can get pretty chilly over there, even if you are lucky enough to have a nice sunny day in the City.  Layers might be best!  

There are tours of both Alcatraz and Angel Island but that's a lot for one day and won't leave a lot of time to putter around San Francisco.  Everything is so compact there that you can do a great deal just by walking from site to site.  I particularly like the Hyde Street Pier, the Pampanito (sp?) sub, Ghirardelli Square, the Ferry Building, Cable Cars, China Town, Coit Tower, Pier 39. the Aquarium, etc.  Just strolling down the Embarcadero is a pretty awesome thing to do.  

Oh...and if you don't live anywhere near SF, we really do have the best sourdough bread on earth!  Stop in at Boudins and grab a sourdough breadbowl filled with clam chowder....and don't forget to eat the bowl when the soup is gone.  It is different ... I swear by that statement .... and you won't be sorry! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, susan1957 said:

we would like to do the Alcatraz tour. 

If your time is worth anything to you, do NOT wait to purchase tickets after you arrive in San Francisco. The lines will be long and the availability often very limited. Buy online prior to leaving home. 

Here's a good place to start: https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/frequently-asked-questions/purchasing-tickets/

4 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Also, prepare for possible disappointment with regards to the government shutdown. Although currently open for day tours, evening tours and behind the scenes tours are not operating. It's possible that Alcatraz will close entirely, as it did during the 2013 shutdown.

OH NO....Going to San Francisco for the sole purpose of Alcatraz Tour.  😞

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

In addition to Princess, I know Celebrity also has an itinerary in May that stops in SF.  

And, once you've booked your cruise and have a date for SF, go online about 90 days ahead of time and buy your Alcatraz tickets.  https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/tour-options/

This will be your least expensive option with no loss of amenities.  The ferry that takes you over picks up just down the Embarcadero from Pier 27 ... all flat with a sidewalk towards Fisherman's Wharf ... like a 5 min walk.  

Once you get to where you tour inside the jail, be sure to get the audio headset ... it's very interesting.  Save some time for hiking around (if you have no mobility challenges) to get some of the best vistas of the bay and the City.  

Be sure to take a light to heavy jacket, though ... it can get pretty chilly over there, even if you are lucky enough to have a nice sunny day in the City.  Layers might be best!  

There are tours of both Alcatraz and Angel Island but that's a lot for one day and won't leave a lot of time to putter around San Francisco.  Everything is so compact there that you can do a great deal just by walking from site to site.  I particularly like the Hyde Street Pier, the Pampanito (sp?) sub, Ghirardelli Square, the Ferry Building, Cable Cars, China Town, Coit Tower, Pier 39. the Aquarium, etc.  Just strolling down the Embarcadero is a pretty awesome thing to do.  

Oh...and if you don't live anywhere near SF, we really do have the best sourdough bread on earth!  Stop in at Boudins and grab a sourdough breadbowl filled with clam chowder....and don't forget to eat the bowl when the soup is gone.  It is different ... I swear by that statement .... and you won't be sorry! 

Oh My Goodness...thank you so much for all the information.  We will be flying from Toronto.  We were hoping to maybe do a cruise that stopped at San Francisco so we could do the Alcatraz Tour.  Our problem is we really wanted to fly out of L.A. to Ft. Myers (our second part of vaca) as it's alot easier than to fly out of San Fran. to Ft. Myers..... Am I making sense?  Was even looking at cruising out of Vancouver, down the coast...but they are far and few....ugh

1 hour ago, susan1957 said:

Oh My Goodness...thank you so much for all the information.  We will be flying from Toronto.  We were hoping to maybe do a cruise that stopped at San Francisco so we could do the Alcatraz Tour.  Our problem is we really wanted to fly out of L.A. to Ft. Myers (our second part of vaca) as it's alot easier than to fly out of San Fran. to Ft. Myers..... Am I making sense?  Was even looking at cruising out of Vancouver, down the coast...but they are far and few....ugh

You make sense to me.  

So, cruises go up from LA to Vancouver in May (maybe some April) and back down from Vancouver to LA (or somewhere in California) in September.  This is so all the ships end up in Alaska for their season.  The Celebrity one is in May and I think it goes from San Diego to Vancouver with a stop in SF ... I think that what it is anyway.  

We definitely have better flights out of San Francisco to Florida in my opinion ... not only cheaper but nicer planes.  There is also really good public transportation from the City to SFO ... it's called BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) ... we are very spoiled.  

Anyway, I always tell everybody that comes to visit, if you can only do one thing while in the City, choose Alcatraz and ride a cable car, both of which are so unique to San Francisco. Heck, when we do a cruise that docks in SF, we go over there to the Rock.  I always pick up on something different than the previous time.  

And .... sailing under the Golden Gate, which you will do, is also an amazing experience!  I never tire of it and have probably done it a couple dozen times.  I'm always out on the top deck acting like it's my first time!!  

So, just for a little extra info ... our best weather here is always in September and even into October.  So, if you really love that Vancouver to LA itinerary, September would be my suggestion.  But, we've been known to have good weather in April and May as well .... but just not as reliably as in the fall.  

15 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

You make sense to me.  

So, cruises go up from LA to Vancouver in May (maybe some April) and back down from Vancouver to LA (or somewhere in California) in September.  This is so all the ships end up in Alaska for their season.  The Celebrity one is in May and I think it goes from San Diego to Vancouver with a stop in SF ... I think that what it is anyway.  

We definitely have better flights out of San Francisco to Florida in my opinion ... not only cheaper but nicer planes.  There is also really good public transportation from the City to SFO ... it's called BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) ... we are very spoiled.  

Anyway, I always tell everybody that comes to visit, if you can only do one thing while in the City, choose Alcatraz and ride a cable car, both of which are so unique to San Francisco. Heck, when we do a cruise that docks in SF, we go over there to the Rock.  I always pick up on something different than the previous time.  

And .... sailing under the Golden Gate, which you will do, is also an amazing experience!  I never tire of it and have probably done it a couple dozen times.  I'm always out on the top deck acting like it's my first time!!  

So, just for a little extra info ... our best weather here is always in September and even into October.  So, if you really love that Vancouver to LA itinerary, September would be my suggestion.  But, we've been known to have good weather in April and May as well .... but just not as reliably as in the fall.  

Thank you for all your info...appreciate it.  When you say you have better flights out of San Fran....when I tried to ghost a flight to Ft. Myers from San Fran...it was going to take me almost 12 hours...ugh...also the reason we were leaning towards May is because...our SIL IN FT. Myers, really isn't that well and didn't want to risk waiting til Sept.

Susan1957, you might want to take a look at flights out of Oakland Int'l as well.  I did a quick look (very quick mind you) and see that SWA has a flight with only one stop which should cut the total time down some.   

• Like 1

FontSize   
8 hours ago, susan1957 said:

Thank you for all your info...appreciate it.  When you say you have better flights out of San Fran....when I tried to ghost a flight to Ft. Myers from San Fran...it was going to take me almost 12 hours...ugh...also the reason we were leaning towards May is because...our SIL IN FT. Myers, really isn't that well and didn't want to risk waiting til Sept.

Hope you find a great cruise.

20 hours ago, susan1957 said:

I would say that I’ve found many nonstop flights on nicer planes out of SFO ... but it really does depend on where you are going.  JetBlue, for instance, has MINT service itineraries to and from SFO ... nonstop but to FLL, not Fort Meyers.  

I feel your pain as would like to find a few more nonstop flights to Tampa but they are few and far between.  

On 1/14/2019 at 4:10 PM, anzore said:

I had a very easy connecting flight in MSP from SFO to Fort Myers.. Delta...Oakland is good, but it can be a bear going over the Bay Bridge..SFO might be better for you.

I agree, the Bay Bridge can be a hassle during commute times, but 101 to SFO can also be a pain.  If I were taking ground transport, I think the 101 would be the lesser of two evils during commute time.  

IMO best choice is BART.  The BART will take you to either airport's front door.  The BART to OAK might even be quicker than to SFO, but I'm not sure of that.   

Edited by ldubs