LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

1 minute ago, MalbecWine said:

Your husband wrote the review and it appeares that not all was perfect.  It was a well balanced review however.

Okay - I get it now.  In my opinion nothing is perfect - not even Regent cruises. 

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Okay - I get it now.  In my opinion nothing is perfect - not even Regent cruises. 

The only thing that is perfect is when we all wake up in the morning.  A day above the ground is a blessing.

• Like 3

I can say that my DH is more particular (aka picky) than I am.  Despite a few blips on the cruise, we both rate it 5 out of 5 stars (I did not submit a review to CC) and we are looking forward to our next Explorer cruise as well as our cruises in 2020 (and are finally looking at 2021).  

The area where we disagree the most on our cruise was in the area of entertainment but that speaks a bit to our age difference.  We generally do not care for the same moves (exception was The Green Book that he watched twice and I watched four times while onboard the ship) or the same music.  We were also raised in different countries so there are cultural differences.  These differences seem to work just fine as we rarely argue and will have our 40th anniversary later this year (so we must be doing something right).

As it pertains to Cruise Critic and cruises in general, he likes the "class system" (I abhor it), he likes Oceania and Celebrity more than I do, we both like Silversea, he insists on large suites while I'm fine with the F1/F2 and concierge suites on Explorer.  Most importantly (to me) is that he accepts my "life on Cruise Critic" without question.  

Probably TMI but this explains why his "official" review and my earlier review on this thread are a bit different.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

While it is true that nothing is perfect, I hope the reviewer gives new meaning to picky because I’m expecting more from our upcoming cruise! 

While it's fine to have high expectations, please try to have realistic expectations.  I've seen passengers go from zero-to-lunatic over the most minor issues.

I think you'll find that the crew goes above and beyond trying to make our cruises memorable.  In 10 Regent cruises, I've had maybe a minor issue with Destination Services (years ago, no problems recently) and occasional slow service on the pool decn (again, not an issue on our last cruise - it was superb).  I'd say that 98% of my expectations are met or exceeded every day, and that other 2% isn't worth getting worked up about.  Example:  I saw someone start complaining loudly one time - LOUDLY and non-stop, mind you - because a server brought the wrong spoon to her table.  Seriously?  Even if that's something you want to complain about, do it discreetly - that's not the end of the world.

So if you expect fine food, usually good excursions, service with a smile (always), good conversation in the lounges, and just overall pampering you won't be disappointed.

• Like 3

Thank you, Jackie, for all your input and reviews, and a big thanks to Dennis for his review.  Always helpful and interesting to read about your experiences!  Aren’t we all blessed to be able to even take any cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaknots said:

interesting that value downrated even with upsell and why is entertainment poor

Not sure what you mean about "value downrated even with upsell".  

I felt that the entertainment was excellent but admit that most of it was from Artful Traveler (aka PBS).  IMO, entertainment on Regent is mediocre to good - never excellent.  We had one entertainer (not PBS) that was excellent and we hope to see him again.  Understand that we have seen most Regent shows more than once so our interest is less than some other passengers.  This is one reason why we have zero interest in taking a world cruise - everything would be repetitive.

One thing that needs to be considered with both myself and my DH is that we have taken so many Regent cruises that there is more to compare each cruise to.  In the case of this cruise, it is hard to determine whether the cruise when we became Titanium was better or this one was better.  Actually, they were both outstanding but different.  Then, there was our last cruise (November with Davor as GM and Daniella as F&B) that was over the top - even though we were not celebrating anything.

I can understand seaknots’ confusion.

You say that your husband insists on on large suites but he only rates “value for money” for your cruise as 3/5, even when you had booked a large suite and then received a good upsell to an even better suite.

Did he not think the booked suite or the upsell to be good value or was there some other factor dragging this score down. Sorry, but cannot ascertain from the narrative.

I am also surprised that “entertainment” only ranked 2/5 with him even with the Artful Traveler and PBS additional programmes during your cruise.

13 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

While it's fine to have high expectations, please try to have realistic expectations.  I've seen passengers go from zero-to-lunatic over the most minor issues.

I think you'll find that the crew goes above and beyond trying to make our cruises memorable.  In 10 Regent cruises, I've had maybe a minor issue with Destination Services (years ago, no problems recently) and occasional slow service on the pool decn (again, not an issue on our last cruise - it was superb).  I'd say that 98% of my expectations are met or exceeded every day, and that other 2% isn't worth getting worked up about.  Example:  I saw someone start complaining loudly one time - LOUDLY and non-stop, mind you - because a server brought the wrong spoon to her table.  Seriously?  Even if that's something you want to complain about, do it discreetly - that's not the end of the world.

So if you expect fine food, usually good excursions, service with a smile (always), good conversation in the lounges, and just overall pampering you won't be disappointed.

We are very low key and laid back. If anything, we are the couple that is much too casual and far too cheerful for the masses. We have a good time no matter what and always try to fly under the radar. That said, I could not care less about nonsense like spoon choices. I do expect well planned and executed shore excursions though, along with a well kept cabin and clean water!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

We are very low key and laid back. If anything, we are the couple that is much too casual and far too cheerful for the masses. We have a good time no matter what and always try to fly under the radar. That said, I could not care less about nonsense like spoon choices. I do expect well planned and executed shore excursions though, along with a well kept cabin and clean water!

We would surely enjoy a long, cheerful dinner conversation with you in CR; maybe someday our paths will cross. Hope so!

Jim C

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 10:59 PM, Master Echo said:

"I do not know what an 'R' Class ship is"

I did explain what an R class ship was on a previous post on this thread. Basically neither of the two Oceania ships on which you have sailed, the Riviera and the Marina, are in fact "R" class ships, whereas the other four Oceania vessels are.  Basically, these were eight identical ships built by the now defunct Renaissance Cruise Lines and now owned by three separate operators, Oceania, Azamara and Princess.

I have travelled on five of these over the years, and indeed looked over the old R8 - now Azamara Pursuit, before her maiden sailing in Dover England in 2001.

Feedback on Regent Explorer's décor is that it is too dark, and a lighter colour palette will be used on Splendor.

Kindest regards

Master Echo 

It’s a tough life ME, I’m amazed at how well you are coping. 😻

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

It’s a tough life ME, I’m amazed at how well you are coping. 😻

Good afternoon Mr Silver

Yes, assessing and reporting on cruise ships can be a burdensome task for mere mortals.  I take on the role selflessly purely to benefit others and help their cruise choices.

Kindest regards to you & Mrs. Silver

Master Echo

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, flossie009 said:

I can understand seaknots’ confusion.

You say that your husband insists on on large suites but he only rates “value for money” for your cruise as 3/5, even when you had booked a large suite and then received a good upsell to an even better suite.

Did he not think the booked suite or the upsell to be good value or was there some other factor dragging this score down. Sorry, but cannot ascertain from the narrative.

I am also surprised that “entertainment” only ranked 2/5 with him even with the Artful Traveler and PBS additional programmes during your cruise.

When Dennis stops by my office, I'll ask him about the "value for money".

In terms of the entertainment, I believe that he is basing this on one person (PBS) that starred in two shows.  He felt that the person was "past their sell date".  He definitely enjoyed some of the shows but tends to rate harder than I do.

Okay - he is cooking (always cooks dinner on Saturday) so I asked him about "value for money".  He was speaking about the cruise in general - not the upsell portion (that was not clear in the review).  He felt (and I agree) that this was a particularly expensive cruise - given the itinerary.  From the time we booked the cruise, he did not feel that it was necessarily worth the money to go to Mexico, Central America and South America.  Most of our cruises have a lower per diem than this particular cruise.  There were cruises that were a better value and to places that we would have preferred to go.  However, they did not incorporate both of his birthdays (20th and 26th of February).  Once we had the upsell offer (also not inexpensive), he felt that the value was much better.  Perhaps he took an average of what he thought at first and what we thought once we had the upsell offer.

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

When Dennis stops by my office, I'll ask him about the "value for money".

In terms of the entertainment, I believe that he is basing this on one person (PBS) that starred in two shows.  He felt that the person was "past their sell date".  He definitely enjoyed some of the shows but tends to rate harder than I do.

Okay - he is cooking (always cooks dinner on Saturday) so I asked him about "value for money".  He was speaking about the cruise in general - not the upsell portion (that was not clear in the review).  He felt (and I agree) that this was a particularly expensive cruise - given the itinerary.  From the time we booked the cruise, he did not feel that it was necessarily worth the money to go to Mexico, Central America and South America.  Most of our cruises have a lower per diem than this particular cruise.  There were cruises that were a better value and to places that we would have preferred to go.  However, they did not incorporate both of his birthdays (20th and 26th of February).  Once we had the upsell offer (also not inexpensive), he felt that the value was much better.  Perhaps he took an average of what he thought at first and what we thought once we had the upsell offer.

How do you have 2 birthdays?  I bet it is an amazing story. 

9 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

How do you have 2 birthdays?  I bet it is an amazing story. 

Actually, it is simple - just weird.  His mother swore that he was born on February 20th.  He grew up thinking that was his birthday ........ until he was moving to this country.  His birth certificate (that we have framed in our home) has the 20th crossed out and "twenty sixth" of February" is clearly written.  Then the birth certificate was stamped "tampered with".  We celebrate both birthdays but mostly the one on the 20th.

TC2, I really don't understand what the fuss is all about regarding how your rated your cruise.  As long as you had a good time, felt the amount you paid was good or just OK who cares.  The most important part of a cruise it what each and very person decides what's good our so-so.  Sounded like you had a good time, and that's what's it is all about.  About the up sell to a larger suite--it's only proper those highest up on the SSS list get the offer first, that's the way programs work. Rick

5 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

We would surely enjoy a long, cheerful dinner conversation with you in CR; maybe someday our paths will cross. Hope so!

Jim C

We would love that! If our April cruise goes well, we are looking at a couple more itineraries in February 2020 and September 2020. 

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

TC2, I really don't understand what the fuss is all about regarding how your rated your cruise.  As long as you had a good time, felt the amount you paid was good or just OK who cares.  The most important part of a cruise it what each and very person decides what's good our so-so.  Sounded like you had a good time, and that's what's it is all about.  About the up sell to a larger suite--it's only proper those highest up on the SSS list get the offer first, that's the way programs work. Rick

Agree with you and not sure why Dennis' review is being questioned.  Perhaps because it is not in complete agreement with mine?  As you said, we both thoroughly enjoyed our cruise and that is what is important!

@Travelcat2,

Please thank your husband, Dennis, for the clarifications.

So sorry that my genuine enquiries about the ratings included with his review caused upset to you and @ronrick1943

This was not my intention 

Will be interested to see his review of Crystal and your comparison of Crystal with Regent later this year

8 hours ago, boblerm said:

Jackie, I'm sure many of us would love to see the Discovery Channel episode when it airs.  Is there any way of finding out when that will be?  Will you give us a heads up?

Bob

Fairly certain that Regent will announce date and time. We also have the program on automatic record so one way or the other, we will know In advance.  

Flossie, not upset ... Just surprised.  I do understand that your question was not meant to upset anyone.

13 hours ago, flossie009 said:

@Travelcat2,

Please thank your husband, Dennis, for the clarifications.

So sorry that my genuine enquiries about the ratings included with his review caused upset to you and @ronrick1943

This was not my intention 

Will be interested to see his review of Crystal and your comparison of Crystal with Regent later this year

Flossie009, Listen, I wasn't upset-not a problem, it just odd about all the fuss.  No big deal.