LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

Master Echo - this is not the right way to communicate but I did not save your phone call and therefore do not know your suite number.  Dennis is a bit better today and is eating (as a reminder to whomever is reading this, he had food poisoning from off of the ship and began recovering as soon as it left his system - maybe 10 hours after eating the chicken taco so he is not contagious - just a bit weak).  

In any case, we are going to dine a bit early tonight and do our final packing.  We still would like to meet you and will go to the Explorer Lounge and will stay from around 6:00 - 6:50 p.m.  Hope that you can stop by.  We have so much appreciated your posts!

I dined alone with Staff Captain Abhe - it was great to catch up with him.  I mentioned in an earlier post than his son is the same age as Explorer.  His wife is having a girl in May so he is quite excited.  This contract is only for 7 weeks so if you are onboard Explorer soon, you may want ask for him (and ladies - he is very easy on the eyes).   I'm sure that you would find him most interesting - easy to talk with and has an amazing sense of humor. 

So, it is the last day onboard which is always bittersweet.  About the BBQ, on Explorer, all specialty restaurants were closed as well as Sette Mari.  Only Compass Rose was open. The set-up of the food, etc. is different on Explorer than on other ships due to her design.

Marc - how observant to notice the Alabama flag! 

Thanks for the well wishes for our trip home.  Fortunately it is only 2 1/2 hours from Los Angeles and only one flight.  

Time to get back to packing.  Tonight we'll dine in Pacific Rim again as the soup will be good for Dennis .  When I get home and settled, I will do a review of this cruise (hopefully things that I have not mentioned on this thread so far) 

Whither the Weather?

TC2, so glad that Mr TC is feeling better, and thank you for your post.  Sir & Madame will endeavour to be in the Explorer Lounge as soon as possible after 6pm.

We have had a rapid transition in temperature over the last three days.  It was in the mid 80’s in Acapulco, high 70’s in Cabo, 64 yesterday and below 60 today so far.  UGH - I keep being told how warm is Southern California!!

Sir and Madame had tapsilog for breakfast, a traditional Filipino breakfast dish that is also found in other parts of the Far East in different forms.  Basically the name is a mixture of tapa, sinangag and itlog, which translates to beef tapa, garlic fried rice and egg.   The beef is marinated overnight in a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic and vinegar.  It is served with garlic fried rice, fresh tomatoes, cucumber slices and a very spicy vinegar and garlic dipping sauce.

(Sir & Madame apologise in advance to any passengers they encounter for the rest of the day, and hope that they can eat copious amounts of parsley in the meantime!)

To all the unlucky passengers on the Explorer who disembark tomorrow, I wish you “good packing” and may it be finished quickly!  Madame always hates the “P” word, despite the numerous times it has had to be done!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Actually, I'd guess that although that LOOKS like the Alabama flag, it's actually the nautical flag for the letter V...

I know, I know, however, I am always looking out for Sweet Home Alabama.

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Dennis is a bit better today and is eating (as a reminder to whomever is reading this, he had food poisoning from off of the ship and began recovering as soon as it left his system - maybe 10 hours after eating the chicken taco so he is not contagious - just a bit weak). 

TC2,  I am sure you are aware, but just an FYI for others traveling in Mexico (even Cabo as Americanized as it seems). I owned an ocean front villa in Cabo del Sol so know it well. Be sure to get the Hep A vaccine to protect you. You can eat at the finest clubs, restaurants, etc. and still get something. Best to be prepared and Montezuma's Revenge is mild compared to what Hepatitis can do to you.

3 hours ago, RachelG said:

Hope Dennis gets well soon.  The Pacific Rim soup should be just the ticket.

Rachel, don’t you think travelers should carry Lomitil or Diaphen (sp?).  We always go to our doctor before traveling out of the country and she prescribes what we may need. and hopefully not.

I became sick with an intestinal virus years ago and the OTC medication did not work so we just tell her what countries we are visiting and the medications are covered by our insurance.

Nothing worse being ill on vacation.  Sorry about Dennis and keep him hydrated.

19 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Rachel, don’t you think travelers should carry Lomitil or Diaphen (sp?).  We always go to our doctor before traveling out of the country and she prescribes what we may need. and hopefully not.

I became sick with an intestinal virus years ago and the OTC medication did not work so we just tell her what countries we are visiting and the medications are covered by our insurance.

Nothing worse being ill on vacation.  Sorry about Dennis and keep him hydrated.

I carry an entire pharmacy with me on trips.  4 different antibiotics, lomotil, nausea meds, etc etc,  but for what it sounds like Dennis had, the best cure is getting it out of the system as quickly as possible.

20 minutes ago, RachelG said:

I carry an entire pharmacy with me on trips.  4 different antibiotics, lomotil, nausea meds, etc etc,  but for what it sounds like Dennis had, the best cure is getting it out of the system as quickly as possible.

For those of us that aren’t doctors....what do you think should always be in our travel bag?  Doctors are getting very weird about prescribing drugs “in case”.  I really would like to know. 

47 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

For those of us that aren’t doctors....what do you think should always be in our travel bag?  Doctors are getting very weird about prescribing drugs “in case”.  I really would like to know. 

For non medical people,, always take ibuprofen or aleve, Imodium, bonine, Benadryl, and some antibacterial ointment and some hydrocortisone ointment.  If you can get a prescription for Cipro, that is good to have. 

Edited by RachelG

21 minutes ago, RachelG said:

For non medical people,, always take ibuprofen or aleve, Imodium, bonine, Benadryl, and some antibacterial ointment and some hydrocortisone ointment.  If you can get a prescription for Cipro, that is good to have. 

Thanks. I can’t take NSAIDs routinely but do take other items mentioned.  We also take antiviral for shingles and cold sores.   

4 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Thanks. I can’t take NSAIDs routinely but do take other items mentioned.  We also take antiviral for shingles and cold sores.   

Not a bad idea to have if you prone to such.  Those are prescriptions of course.  

2 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Not a bad idea to have if you prone to such.  Those are prescriptions of course.  

Yes, I have aggressive RA so take strong immune suppression medicine to be able to enjoy life but there are consequences possible and dr are willing to give antivirals since only effective if taken quickly.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, portofinoitaly said:

TC2,  I am sure you are aware, but just an FYI for others traveling in Mexico (even Cabo as Americanized as it seems). I owned an ocean front villa in Cabo del Sol so know it well. Be sure to get the Hep A vaccine to protect you. You can eat at the finest clubs, restaurants, etc. and still get something. Best to be prepared and Montezuma's Revenge is mild compared to what Hepatitis can do to you.

Seriously good advice, portofinoitaly and thank you.  We are on the Splendor next year and will be stopping in Cabo and Acapulco .  Will be sure to get the Hep A vaccination.   (If my husband gets a Mexican stamp in his passport he heads right to the bathroom... so we do try not to eat or drink anything on shore.  But you never know and the vaccine is easy to get.

Rachel -  we cannot get Bonine in Switzerland (not allowed I think...) so I suppose any anti motion sickness would do as well?  Ciproxin we can get on prescription and generally travel with a supply.  

Gerry

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RachelG said:

Thanks RachelG for your experienced advice.

We always discuss our upcoming trips with our great GP but also admit to being of the "Reader's Digest" school of medicine. Our carry-on luggage is now primarily our prescribed meds, support devices and OTCs. We, unfortunately on three occasions, have found the Regent on-board medical care to be excellent (but expensive). "Be Prepared" as a motto is not just for the boy scouts.

We did have two “Z-packs” (antibiotics). While it wasn’t necessarily intended for conjunctivitis, it worked quickly.  Also, looking for treatments on the internet for food poisoning (specifically in Mexico), Dennis took the same antiobiotic and is doing great.  We always get these from our doctor. 

Portofinoitaly and Rachel - thank you so much for your input.

Disembarking in Los Angeles was one of the weirdest experiences we have had on a cruise ship.  No putting out luggage at night - confusing and conflicting disembarkation notices.  After speaking to Destination Services and getting more puzzled, Massimo sorted it out.   Our luggage was put out last night and the next time we saw it was ashore.  The private drivers were lined up with names of their passenger on the car and we were off quickly. Traffic was light until we reached the airport but we had plenty of time to spare.

We had cocktails with Master Echo and Madam last night.  Really a lovely couple that we had quite a bit in common with.  It would have been nice if we had met earlier in the cruise.

Our last dinner on board was in Pacific Rim.  We love the atmosphere and design of this dining venue and have learned which dishes we prefer (I love the miso glazed black cod - not to be confused with miso glazed sera bass).

Bob, yes - there was dancing at 9:00 p.m.at the barbecue.  I only glanced at the dance floor but it was raised to the level that the band was playing at (if that makes any sense).

More when I am finally home with my feline family.

Because you asked and I am a nurse, and my husband traveled the world for decades with his last job. For our 2021 WC I am going to hit a Walmart or Target prior to boarding and stock up on Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, Benadryl, Zyrtec, , Pepto bismal, Immodium, Tums, Cough drops, Sudafed, Flonase, a lot of sunscreen, bug spray with deet, Aquaphor, Balmex, Polysporin ointment, Hydrocortisone ointment, benadryl ointment, all my vitamins and sea bands. I am going to get the two new shingles vaccine shots this year. We will hit travel dr next year  where we will get a mess of recommended vaccines. I expect to bring antiviral (I fight cold sores with any virus), epipen for bee allergic husband, a script filled for Cipro, Zofran  and Scope patches (which we have never used but crossing the Pacific. I am a big fan of the flu vaccine but if flu season bad will probably bring Tamiflu. I am sure I will be leaving something of this list. As I said, because you asked!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, travelwell said:

Because you asked and I am a nurse, and my husband traveled the world for decades with his last job. For our 2021 WC I am going to hit a Walmart or Target prior to boarding and stock up on Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, Benadryl, Zyrtec, , Pepto bismal, Immodium, Tums, Cough drops, Sudafed, Flonase, a lot of sunscreen, bug spray with deet, Aquaphor, Balmex, Polysporin ointment, Hydrocortisone ointment, benadryl ointment, all my vitamins and sea bands. I am going to get the two new shingles vaccine shots this year. We will hit travel dr next year  where we will get a mess of recommended vaccines. I expect to bring antiviral (I fight cold sores with any virus), epipen for bee allergic husband, a script filled for Cipro, Zofran  and Scope patches (which we have never used but crossing the Pacific. I am a big fan of the flu vaccine but if flu season bad will probably bring Tamiflu. I am sure I will be leaving something of this list. As I said, because you asked!

Very good! Hope you saved some room for clothes.............

Yes, my motto for years is that I do not travel often but when I do, I travel well. This explains Regent. If it was not for shoes and medication I could pack in a suitcase. Thank goodness for kindles or I would have a book issue too.

• Like 1