Drink Menu with prices

luvtocook

Just received an email regarding the beverage package...

"As of April 22, 2018 various countries in the European Union have added a Value Added Tax which affects our Beverage Packages and all purchases on board. It is applicable for voyages that start and end and do not leave the European Union. Rates range between 20%-24% depending on the country.  To avoid this additional European tax as a pro-traveler tip, we highly recommend that you purchase all your amenities, including wi-fi, laundry and the beverage package of your choice prior to your cruise. And we are pleased to be able to offer you a reduced price on Beverage Packages. Save $5 on your choice of Beverage Package and avoid the costly VAT on beverages purchased on board. "

So if a drink costs $8.50 and you add 15% gratuity, does that mean you have to add an extra 20-24% also?  That is an extra $2.00 per drink!!  Has anyone encountered this?

Alcohol packages are discussed frequently here, and for good reason. It can be hairy trying to figure this out. Here's my considered take on this issue:

I preface this analysis with the caveat that I am basically innumerate and not on good terms with math.Feel free to correct my math but don't get snippy, I know I suck in this regard.

Consumption, even one's own, is difficult to guage, especially if purporting to be honest. On a cruise with (one hopes) few cares and fewer responsibilities, I am likely to enjoy three or four glasses of wine/champagne each day and maybe a margarita. Sometimes less, rarely more ... but I'm human and it happens. 

I have found several different price versions of beverage packages but this seems to be the current norm for 7-day cruises; deduct (yay) $5/day for each package for longer cruises.

-- Voyager's Adventure Beer & Wine $32/day + 15% service ($4.80) = $36.80 per day
-- Topmast Discoveries $42/day + 15% service ($6.30) =$48.30 per day
-- Captain's Exclusive $52 (only package that includes hard liquor/cocktails) + 15% service ($7.80) = $61.80 per day

It's difficult to calculate bar prices per drink due to lack of recent bar info but my best guess is an ordinary day's consumption for me would look like this:

Glass of wine $8.00 + $15% ($1.20) = $9.20 X 3 = $27.60 

1 Margarita $8.50 + 15%  ($1.28) = $9.78 X 1 = $9.78

For a total of $37.38 per day. This is below the package price of both mid and highest tiers (and, margaritas only included in that highest tier).  Ergo, not buying a package. Even a binge or two won't inflict as much damage as the Captain's package.

BUT, I asked my travel agent about these packages and he came back with the prices listed below. Even if these are accurate, I expect the a la carte prices also will be higher, so quid pro quo about the same.

Per person: 

Unlimited Premium liquor, beer, wine, wifi and laundry - $89/day 
Unlimited Premium liquor, beer, wine - $68/day
Unlimited beer and wine - $57/day 

I expect all know Windstar has rolled out a new Package program that includes alcohol, wifi and laundry. For my cruise, it would cost $809. Ouch.

As for wifi, a necessity for me, I bought best access for the 11-day voyage for $385. As for laundry, I wash my own undies and have high tolerance for wrinkled clothes.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad
  • Like 1

OctoberKat,

your Travel Agent is right, the prices quoted include 15% gratuity and were implemented Feb 1st.  The beer&wine only is now $49 +15% ($57) and the full package with liquor is $59+15% ($68) up from $42 and $52 previously.  Not only has the price gone up but the list of the wines sold by the glass, which used to include wines up to $11.50/glass, now has no wines above $10.50 so quality is also down.  We have taken bev package in the past but will likely buy wine by bottle and have them store any unfinished ones for the next day.  Cheaper alternative and I can drink  better wines as the bottle wine list is extensive enough

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 7:59 PM, Misty Morning said:

OctoberKat,

your Travel Agent is right, the prices quoted include 15% gratuity and were implemented Feb 1st.  The beer&wine only is now $49 +15% ($57) and the full package with liquor is $59+15% ($68) up from $42 and $52 previously.  Not only has the price gone up but the list of the wines sold by the glass, which used to include wines up to $11.50/glass, now has no wines above $10.50 so quality is also down.  We have taken bev package in the past but will likely buy wine by bottle and have them store any unfinished ones for the next day.  Cheaper alternative and I can drink  better wines as the bottle wine list is extensive enough

This getting really hard to figure out. I hate the idea of having to sign for all alcohol, but not sure the "good" package is worth it.

Any chance that anyone has a 2019 copy of the cocktail/wine list?

Mudhen: Look back at Grayboots post awhile back. One thing we noticed is that they tend to substitute spirits and wines from the published lists. There were wines by the bottle they didn't have, but always had another to offer in the same price range. We typically bought a bottle of wine at dinner and would take it back to the room if we weren't done, instead of having them hold it.

For spirits, you need to see if those included are ones you want. For example, we were with some whisky drinkers.Their preferred wee dram was not included on the list, but was available to purchase. So those who did not have the package were able to get something more to their liking. I also noted that their rye whiskey is blended (like Crown Royal) and did not have any "real" rye, like Bulleit. And as an aside, they make their Manhattans with bourbon, unless you call a blended rye. (Probably TMI, but information is helpful in planning, right?)

P.S. I can't see how the drink packages can save anyone money, unless they get up in the morning and start hammering screwdrivers and are able to stay awake to have cocktails in the Compass Rose after dinner.LOL

28 minutes ago, O2B@Cagain said:

P.S. I can't see how the drink packages can save anyone money, unless they get up in the morning and start hammering screwdrivers and are able to stay awake to have cocktails in the Compass Rose after dinner.LOL

I think this might be us 😵 haha except we dont start hammering the screwdrivers in the AM but do enjoy a spiked coffee or bloody mary. The drink package worked for us as we both drink mainly grey goose and enjoy trying new cocktails we wouldn't have otherwise tried if we were paying per drink. The mini bar also comes in handy when lounging in our room and we have it filled/refilled with our preferences.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:41 AM, Mudhen said:

This getting really hard to figure out. I hate the idea of having to sign for all alcohol, but not sure the "good" package is worth it.

Any chance that anyone has a 2019 copy of the cocktail/wine list?

I will post updated menu.  I am in Tahiti and will be on board in 2 days.

As far as if it is worth it depends how much and what you drink.  Going to the lounge after dinner and having two scotches (whiskey) neat adds up quick. According to our math, two scotches and two wines, two mixed drinks breaks us even. 

1 hour ago, msears101 said:

As far as if it is worth it depends how much and what you drink.  Going to the lounge after dinner and having two scotches (whiskey) neat adds up quick. According to our math, two scotches and two wines, two mixed drinks breaks us even. 

Six drinks daily seems to be the magic number.

• Like 1

Let me get this straight.  The Premium package is $68 per day per person.  Both people in the cabin must buy the package...so it’s $136 per day.  So a 10 day cruise would be $1,360.  So if I want to go on the wagon I will go on a Windstar cruise!  Totally ridiculous...

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Let me get this straight.  The Premium package is $68 per day per person.  Both people in the cabin must buy the package...so it’s $136 per day.  So a 10 day cruise would be $1,360.  So if I want to go on the wagon I will go on a Windstar cruise!  Totally ridiculous...

If you drink fewer than 5 or 6 drinks a day, the package makes no sense.  The actual drink prices if you are not in the package are not unreasonable.

2 hours ago, ridethetide said:

If you drink fewer than 5 or 6 drinks a day, the package makes no sense.  The actual drink prices if you are not in the package are not unreasonable.

Thank you Ride,

I would be the first to say that I would probably cut back to one or two drinks per day and I think the prices are in line with restaurants in my area.  But...( there is always a but) I believe that ships are or should be in the hospitality business.  Would it kill CCL to offer a drink of the day or a happy hour?  They would probably make just as much money on a daily basis while improving the ambiance.  The crew would also benefit from the increased tips.  On sailing ships and smaller vessels like Windstar there would be a much more enjoyable and convivial experience if there were a more amenable drink program.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

On 5/28/2019 at 4:58 PM, msears101 said:

Hope you're having a fantastic time! Wish we were all there!

Edited by Petoonya

On 4/30/2019 at 5:30 PM, Grayboots said:

Just received an email regarding the beverage package...

"As of April 22, 2018 various countries in the European Union have added a Value Added Tax which affects our Beverage Packages and all purchases on board. It is applicable for voyages that start and end and do not leave the European Union. Rates range between 20%-24% depending on the country.  To avoid this additional European tax as a pro-traveler tip, we highly recommend that you purchase all your amenities, including wi-fi, laundry and the beverage package of your choice prior to your cruise. And we are pleased to be able to offer you a reduced price on Beverage Packages. Save $5 on your choice of Beverage Package and avoid the costly VAT on beverages purchased on board. "

So if a drink costs $8.50 and you add 15% gratuity, does that mean you have to add an extra 20-24% also?  That is an extra $2.00 per drink!!  Has anyone encountered this?

I’m surprised that they are not trying to tax the entire cost of the cruise!

If you like to read, bring your own books. I load up my kindle before any cruise. On the ship, I check out the library. Sometimes there are some good books there. Lately, with more people using ebooks, fewer books are left behind.  Do not just assume that you will find good books in any ship library.  Same goes for DVDs.  On my recent Star Breeze cruise, I did borrow a few books. The dvd collection was old. They also show movies on the cabin tv.  Watched a few after dinner. There isn't much entertainment on the ship.  After dinner, the duo performs. It would be nice if the Yacht club kept serving coffees and pastry after dinner. Yacht club is great during the day. Get a cup of coffee or tea, have a snack, talk with other guests, and relax. At night, there are people playing games or looking for a cozy place to relax with friends. We called room service to bring us coffee one night while playing cards.

Can anyone tell me if there is a charge for soda? iced tea? sparkling water (Pelligrino or Perrier)? tonic?

Just what all is in our cabin fridge? Are the above things in there (not the iced tea)? If I wanted a sparkling water with lime,

what will that cost? Just trying to figure a (rough) budget....

1 minute ago, Mudhen said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a charge for soda? iced tea? sparkling water (Pelligrino or Perrier)? tonic?

Just what all is in our cabin fridge? Are the above things in there (not the iced tea)? If I wanted a sparkling water with lime,

what will that cost? Just trying to figure a (rough) budget....

All soft drinks are free.  You just ask your cabin steward to stock your refrigerator with whatever you want.  We always have sparkling water in our refrigerator.

One thing to consider with many Windstar cruises is that they are port intensive in areas where WiFi is readily available in a local pub or cafe with the purchase of a local beer or glass of wine.  We spent two weeks on the Surf in 2012 cruising the Med.  Two sea days and readily available WiFi in every port otherwise.

Because you're often off the ship shortly after breakfast and not back on until late afternoon, you'll likely have limited hours in which to imbibe.  We had 3-4 glasses of wine a day, we just weren't on the ship enough for more than that.

As promised, Here is a sample of prices that were on the Wind Spirit for My May 30th Cruise, 2019.

Note - I heard that a previous charter cruise which had open bar had cleaned out some of their stock which meant there are some non-normal selections as a result.  There was a Rioja not on the list that I enjoyed.  This is just a sample, that should give you an idea of what the costs are.  I think they are reasonable for "eating out".  

All the wines by the glass that were listed were in "the package"

IMG_2708.thumb.jpg.b1cba9e0a4d4b33224556a4ff772b3ce.jpgIMG_2707.thumb.jpg.16e83e897c78ab5b7b208db14febc903.jpgIMG_2705.thumb.jpg.42b8f3168c092a0f697b93ecf3d9193e.jpgIMG_2704.thumb.jpg.41ee61bbdda5421ca322ddb5095cb041.jpgIMG_2703.thumb.jpg.83ea0c26de09882fd08b2c54d5985bae.jpgIMG_2702.thumb.jpg.8aa99aaa97756f26e7f2f7f392681c98.jpgIMG_2701.thumb.jpg.433af0739c2e06fffefee80b0798c52d.jpgIMG_2700.thumb.jpg.0788445b172af81d94d7cc807e60c786.jpgIMG_2698.thumb.jpg.10b9ea4ac9365934b776422344ae6c2a.jpgIMG_2686.thumb.jpg.853cdebfe90c34a2d6a97cb1ebfe38e1.jpgIMG_2685.thumb.jpg.67e558c85291dfe43f8438b8bd4803dd.jpgIMG_2684.thumb.jpg.a42e66d146e104c26086c167c7cb3916.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks msears! I had to look up a Wang-Wang...yikes! Rum, Brandy, Scotch, Tequila, Vodka, Bourbon, Pineapple Juice, Orange Juice and Grenadine...good night!

Last time we had the package we went through some of the "old school" cocktails that we'd never tried. Some we'd never heard of; that was fun!