Salty Dog

wrongwaywatson

42 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

We are traveling soon on the Crown.   Could someone tell me the difference in the Salty Dog and the old Trident Grill, please?  Selection, etc. 

That depends.

After refurb. some of the Trident Grills are changing to Salty Dog. When it's been changed to Salty Dog, the menu is expanded. Most of the food is still free and they have beer (not free).

There are pictures of the new menu...Google is your friend.

IIRC...There's also a Salty Dog that's occasionally offered in the Wheelhouse bar.

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

The Salty Dog (ex Trident Grill) on deck is basically the same as it always has been except for the name, cheese fries  and the "Ernesto Burger" which costs $5.50 ($8 with a beer) and takes 20 minutes to make for some reason.

Everything else if free.

The menu does not appear to have brats anymore. Which made no sense to me.   🙄

IMO The Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse is a waste of the $10 or whatever they charge for it now.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The Salty Dog (ex Trident Grill) on deck is basically the same as it always has been except for the name, cheese fries  and the "Ernesto Burger" which costs $5.50 ($8 with a beer) and takes 20 minutes to make for some reason.

Everything else if free.

The menu does not appear to have brats anymore. Which made no sense to me.   🙄

IMO The Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse is a waste of the $10 or whatever they charge for it now.

Thank you for your answer!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

That depends.

After refurb. some of the Trident Grills are changing to Salty Dog. When it's been changed to Salty Dog, the menu is expanded. Most of the food is still free and they have beer (not free).

There are pictures of the new menu...Google is your friend.

IIRC...There's also a Salty Dog that's occasionally offered in the Wheelhouse bar.

I already knew the info that Google has to offer.  I was wanting the opinions of people who had eaten at the Trident Grill and eaten at The Salty Dog.  Google doesn't tell me that.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Your question has two answers:

The Trident grill is now the Salty Dog with expanded menu selections.

You can find the menu here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2880

The Wheelhouse Bar has a Salty Dog Gastropub where you can dine in the evening. Surcharge is $12. You can find information here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2420

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

We are traveling soon on the Crown.   Could someone tell me the difference in the Salty Dog and the old Trident Grill, please?  Selection, etc. 

All the Trident Grille stuff, plus now, the addition of a pay burger, the Ernesto Burger, $5 or $8 can’t recall the price, which my husband absolutely loved, and the addition of street tacos, chicken and one other flavor. The tacos are free.  We enjoyed them.  Maybe the other flavor was carnitas or possibly vegetarian? They came in a basket, three little street tacos that were kind of a weird texture, I hate to say this, but almost like mini versions of those lovely Jack In The Box fried tacos, LOL, but filled with better contents.  

We loved the other Salty Grille, located inside the Wheelhouse Bar. Very good food.  One night we got a short rib dish and a poutine dish, and the desserts were unique.  

I sure wish they had this on all the ships.  We were quite surprised at the quality of the food.  

Edited by 4cats4me

4 hours ago, skynight said:

The Wheelhouse Bar has a Salty Dog Gastropub where you can dine in the evening. Surcharge is $12. You can find information here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2420

Be aware that the Gastropub (at least on the Crown and Ruby ) has only counter height seats.  If you have mobility constraints that can be a problem.

• Thanks 1

When we last sailed on Caribbean Princess the Salty Dog Grill on Lido deck offered the Princess version of street tacos. These are okay to eat but really don't fit my image of "street tacos".  We get pretty good tacos in California. They aren't much like the Princess version.

We did 28 days on Emerald Princess which has the Salty Dog Gastropub in Wheelhouse. It was almost never used and took up a lot of valuable space that definitely could have been used during the twice daily BOGO. Of course now that there is no more BOGO I guess the space wouldn't be used anyway. We saw almost nobody eating there. It would have been a total drag for anybody in a wheelchair as they only had very high tables with stools.

Edited by Thrak

13 hours ago, capriccio said:

Be aware that the Gastropub (at least on the Crown and Ruby ) has only counter height seats.  If you have mobility constraints that can be a problem.

Yes it was denied to us for the same reason. Thinks ! must pack a hot air balloon next time.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

"Ernesto Burger" which costs $5.50 ($8 with a beer) and takes 20 minutes to make for some reason.

Maybe they’re hoping you’ll finish the discounted beer while waiting 20 minutes & then order another beer at full price while eating the burger. 😉

I’d like to try the burger but they didn’t make the change to the Royal during the December shipyard maintenance like they’ve done on some other ships.

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Maybe they’re hoping you’ll finish the discounted beer while waiting 20 minutes & then order another beer at full price while eating the burger. 😉

I’d like to try the burger but they didn’t make the change to the Royal during the December shipyard maintenance like they’ve done on some other ships.

Yeah I had it at the Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse when it first rolled out, I think on the Ruby?

I was not impressed.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yeah I had it at the Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse when it first rolled out, I think on the Ruby?

I was not impressed.

Thanks Keith...they had it on the Crown’s Gastropub in the Wheelhouse but skipped it due the $19 price (now $12) & poor seating.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, worldtraveller said:

Does the Wheelhouse Bar (Salty Dog Gastropub) on the Emerald have "normal" seating or is it only tall counter seating as well?

Not really. They have the high tables. To the right as you enter are the soft leather chairs and sofas with low coffee tables. You can sit there is you like. You can also choose sitting at the bar. The Emerald is currently in dry dock. If Princess was smart they would remove the high tables and put in low tables. But I would not count on that.

27 minutes ago, skynight said:

Not really. They have the high tables. To the right as you enter are the soft leather chairs and sofas with low coffee tables. You can sit there is you like.

On the Crown that is what they tried to tell us to do.  That wasn't possible for me either since getting out of low, soft furniture with 2 bad hips was difficult too - all I wanted was an arm chair!  My 3 companions also noted that they had absolutely no desire to eat dinner from a low coffee table.

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

My 3 companions also noted that they had absolutely no desire to eat dinner from a low coffee table.

No way would we want to eat from those tables and chairs. That seems like it would be incredibly uncomfortable and weird.

We tried the Salty Dog on the Emerald and we thought it was a waste of money.

We certainly did not mind the tall tables on the numerous times that we were enjoying the Pub Lunch.  It was free and significantly better IMO.