Princess New Grounds Coffee Package

Moxiefurball

Individual prices for espresso and special drinks are in the range of $4 including the the gratuity. There are a few drinks that are in the $6 range. Basically the break even point is around 9 to 10 drinks which can be shared.

You also get unlimited brewed coffee and special teas. These are around $1.50 each if purchased.  

IF you're a grounds coffee lover, you can get all you want of "straight" brewed.  In the past, this was a winner for me since I liked stopping into the IC and get some there... as opposed to having to go to the buffet and get whatever they had (depending on ship.)  I would think if one is a coffee lover of any time this is a good value.

• Like 2

We like strong brewed coffee and an occasional cappucino or expresso.  Between the two of us, we will average 3-4 cups each per day, so it's worth it for us....especially for unlimited brewed coffee. IMO--the "free" coffee they serve throughout the ship (dining rooms, buffet) is at best, weak...at worst, like dishwater.

• Like 1

just got back from a 7 day cruise, I got a club soda every day paid regular price $2.00 , 1 regular coffee all week less than $2.00 , other wise had room service for breakfast, including coffee; buffet for several dinners, okay with coffee there with some hot water added; went to Crown Grill for 2 dinners had coffee there... so coffee, soda cards would be a waste of money for me.  

Took two bottles of wine on board, took one to the crown grill paid $15.00 corking, that plus the cost of wine was $30.00.  So did better than buying a cheap wine on board and paying $35.00 for it.

Sometimes pay as you go is better way to go, coffee, soda etc. packages generally favor the ship.  

I bought a card for my cruise last month.  I had a large cappuccino every morning and 2 regular ones during the week.  That’s nine coffees leaving me with 6 I didn’t use but if I had to pay for the coffees it would cost more than the card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I like the coffee package. I get regular coffee as well as Caramel Frappuccinos.  😊

I also like the Chai tea latte and the Salted Caramet Strata Latte...yum!

• Like 1

Another consideration and one of the reasons my wife always has a card. The card gives you unlimited brewed coffee. Therefore if she wants coffee after the hours of the buffet, she can go to the International Cafe open 24/7. If you get you early or don't want to travel to the buffet it is a good option. If you do not have a card you will be charged for brewed coffee.  For us it is worth purchasing just for the convenience  of being able to get coffee when you want it. 

• Like 1

If you purchase the coffee package just to get fresh brewed coffee consider this. The package now cost $36.58. including gratuity. Last month a large brewed coffee was $1.75 w/o gratuity. Current cost with gratuity is $2.07. It takes 18 brewed coffees to break even. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skynight said:

If you purchase the coffee package just to get fresh brewed coffee consider this. The package now cost $36.58. including gratuity. Last month a large brewed coffee was $1.75 w/o gratuity. Current cost with gratuity is $2.07. It takes 18 brewed coffees to break even. 

Our last cruise was 23 days, average of 5 coffees per day  equals 115 coffees. So that is 32 cents per coffee. Plus since the  specialty coffee is a fixed number 15 you can do anything you want with them. Even if my daily number is way off and only 3 per day still a deal, even on a short 7 day cruise. For us it is worth purchasing just for the convenience  of being able to get coffee when you want it. 

• Like 1

Just back from 30 days on the crown....coffee drinkers considered the IC coffee to be the weakest ever, and for a "normal" brew, people were ordering a red eye (regular coffee plus expresso), so "punches" disappeared very quickly at that rate.

I used to always buy a coffee card (at $30) for the fresh brewed coffee.  That card would last me 2 cruises.  on the first one, I just showed the card.  On the next cruise, I would use it for brewed coffee and they would punch it.   I just got off of a 10 day cruise and I used up a card, using the final punch on the last morning, so I used 15 punches.   I had room service coffee almost every morning early, before we went to breakfast.   In the future, with the price increase and the package expiring at the end of your cruise, I will just pay as I go, since I don't like any of the specialty drinks.    Now, if I was on a cruise that was 15 days or longer, I would probably buy it.

We're elite and always exchange our minibar setup for a bottle of wine. I can no longer drink alcohol so we're considering exchanging for the coffee package this time. My husband loves coffee but I hate it. I also cannot have caffeine. Is there anything that can be acquired with the coffee package that isn't coffee or caffeinated?

I've ordered hot chocolate before when my husband sat down for coffee and I have ordered the frozen drinks but had them made without the coffee. Would these be included? 

54 minutes ago, PiperHolliday said:

We're elite and always exchange our minibar setup for a bottle of wine. I can no longer drink alcohol so we're considering exchanging for the coffee package this time. My husband loves coffee but I hate it. I also cannot have caffeine. Is there anything that can be acquired with the coffee package that isn't coffee or caffeinated?

I've ordered hot chocolate before when my husband sat down for coffee and I have ordered the frozen drinks but had them made without the coffee. Would these be included? 

Hot chocolate, decaf coffee and any drink that can be prepared with decaf, Mighty Leaf tea selection some are herbal.

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.
Edited by skynight

We swap out the mini bar for the coffee package.  Most of our cruises are 7 days, so I normally only end up getting about 10 coffee's and give the rest back to Princess.  I wish they had fresh brewed in the pastry shop, really disappointed they don't. 

On 4/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

It depends on the length of the cruise and how much specialty coffee you plan on drinking/sharing.

I love speciality tea which is unlimited with the card, but my Husband prefers espresso drinks (15 per card). So we can share 1 card without penalty?

18 minutes ago, MoyCoy said:

I love speciality tea which is unlimited with the card, but my Husband prefers espresso drinks (15 per card). So we can share 1 card without penalty?

Yes, just have to order with the medallion or card that is assigned to the coffee package.

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Yes, just have to order with the medallion or card that is assigned to the coffee package.

Can you order a espresso AND tea together , or will they need to be 2 separated transactions?

I need it! Large latte or long black in the morning + a glass to pour it in (2 drinks, 1 charge), repeat with cocoa at night. Throw another in mid afternoon and its around $10 a day. Saves me $$s. 

And yes,  I never use all the punches but seriously don't care