diamond lounge access for non diamond family member

7 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

The Concierge likely asked because it's very easy to use someone else's card to open the door.  For example, I could go in with my wife, after a few minutes, take her card and leave and give it to a friend to let him or her in.   Also you can easily follow someone through the door.  

The concierge can scan your card on their lap top and see your photo plus they have records of D,D+ with photos so can easily verify you are who you say you are.

1 hour ago, jewopaho said:

For the first time since earning Diamond privileges long ago (we're now D+) I was questioned by the concierge as to why I was carrying two drinks from the DC to the adjoining Olive or Twist Lounge (Liberty of the Seas). Of course, the club was packed to overflowing, and my wife had found us a couple of seats in the lounge (also filled beyond capacity). My response was civil, although my thoughts were hardly so. The concierge replied that only one drink per member was permitted out of the DC, to which I requested that he find me two seats in the club, so there would be no question as to who the "prohibited" drink was for. I then simply walked away. The following morning, I spoke to the concierge, and in no uncertain terms (firm but fair)  let him know that his inference that I might be smuggling a drink to a non-Diamond member was unacceptable. He understood, but stated that he was bound by Royal's edict (now to be more strictly enforced), and that he also had to randomly check SeaPass cards of those in the DC at Happy Hour, lest an intruder find a way in. We've met some wonderful folks in the DC, and have maintained friendships with several of them. We'd hate to avoid the place, but we cannot tolerate such treatment by an individual whose reason for being aboard is to take exceptional care of us. "I'm only doing my job" is no excuse.    

Or you could have handed the DLC your two drinks and politely said, let me hold the door for you so you can serve my wife and I our drinks in the Oliver or Twist Lounge as we are unable to find two seats together in the DL. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The concierge can scan your card on their lap top and see your photo plus they have records of D,D+ with photos so can easily verify you are who you say you are.

We've also seen a couple of DLCs with a clipboard with cabin numbers and names of members. 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 12:12 PM, SilkySal said:

We were on Oasis last year with our adult kids and their significant others. When they came to get DH and I in the DL for dinner, the concierge allowed all 6 of them inside to get us and even got each of them a drink! They all had the DX drink package but we were still uncomfortable with them being in there, so DH and we quickly left with them each night. We tipped the concierge generously that week for being so accommodating. Our DD had gotten recently engaged (now married), so we were all in celebration mode! Hope we didn't ruffle too many feathers!!

Something similar happened to us the last time we were on Allure with our son and his family. We stopped in the DL for the first time half way through the cruise and the concierge asked why we waited so long to come in. When we told her we were with our son who was just short of D (he made the points on that cruise), she said to bring them in anyway. We didn't take her up on the offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

We don't have issues with the DLCs that are doing their jobs. It's the DLCs who aren't doing their jobs that we have issues with. 

Agree 100%!  Let them do their jobs,.... it's for the benefit of us all that have qualified (and paid dearly) for that perk. 🙂 

No excuse for those that think the rules don't apply to them, plus even worse...putting the concierge in an uncomfortable spot (who have enough to do playing baby sitter to many self entitled). 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, emdia43 said:

If your daughter was Diamond level why was there any problem with her using the lounge?

We had mistakenly made plans to meet friends in the concierge lounge.  She only had access to the  Diamond  lounge, not the concierge lounge.  I realize now it was my mistake and will never ask a concierge for a favor like that again. 

m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akcruz said:

If people didn't try to sneak drinks to others or sneak their friends in, or sneak into the lounge themselves this would not be an issue at all.  

A simple response of my wife got us seats while I got drinks was all he was most likely looking for.  I would prefer the question to be asked, nicely of course, and have benefits remain.  Too many people looking for exceptions and/or bragging about getting them any more.

That's the point ... he wasn't.  If anything, he was authoritarian in his attitude.  He should have known better, given that the place was packed, and the lounge had been roped off as a "private event," so cards were checked before we could even enter.  I'm considering this an anomaly.  Hopefully he or his successor will do better next time.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We had mistakenly made plans to meet friends in the concierge lounge.  She only had access to the  Diamond  lounge, not the concierge lounge.  I realize now it was my mistake and will never ask a concierge for a favor like that again. 

m

He still didn't have to be rude to you. 

I think it's ok to ask permission in private. The answer will be yes or no. It's a business, and the concierge should not feel awkward about it. Either way, the question can be answered politely.

11 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Sharing a balcony discount gets a cabin sold and brings new people on to the cruise to spend money.  Sharing free drinks is a lost sale. 

what If I take the drink and throw it away?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big_G said:

Something similar happened to us the last time we were on Allure with our son and his family. We stopped in the DL for the first time half way through the cruise and the concierge asked why we waited so long to come in. When we told her we were with our son who was just short of D (he made the points on that cruise), she said to bring them in anyway. We didn't take her up on the offer.

DLC not doing her job and a good example of why some on CC ask can I bring my non diamond... and get mixed answers. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

DLC not doing her job and a good example of why some on CC ask can I bring my non diamond... and get mixed answers. 

...or maybe the DL was slow on that cruise and she was marketing the loyalty benefits. Just a thought.

54 minutes ago, Big_G said:

...or maybe the DL was slow on that cruise and she was marketing the loyalty benefits. Just a thought.

My Magic 8 Ball says, "very doubtful". That's the LAs job. 

Edited by davekathy

8 hours ago, jewopaho said:

For the first time since earning Diamond privileges long ago (we're now D+) I was questioned by the concierge as to why I was carrying two drinks from the DC to the adjoining Olive or Twist Lounge (Liberty of the Seas). Of course, the club was packed to overflowing, and my wife had found us a couple of seats in the lounge (also filled beyond capacity). My response was civil, although my thoughts were hardly so. The concierge replied that only one drink per member was permitted out of the DC, to which I requested that he find me two seats in the club, so there would be no question as to who the "prohibited" drink was for. I then simply walked away. The following morning, I spoke to the concierge, and in no uncertain terms (firm but fair)  let him know that his inference that I might be smuggling a drink to a non-Diamond member was unacceptable. He understood, but stated that he was bound by Royal's edict (now to be more strictly enforced), and that he also had to randomly check SeaPass cards of those in the DC at Happy Hour, lest an intruder find a way in. We've met some wonderful folks in the DC, and have maintained friendships with several of them. We'd hate to avoid the place, but we cannot tolerate such treatment by an individual whose reason for being aboard is to take exceptional care of us. "I'm only doing my job" is no excuse.    

Why was his questioning you unacceptable?

7 hours ago, davekathy said:

Or you could have handed the DLC your two drinks and politely said, let me hold the door for you so you can serve my wife and I our drinks in the Oliver or Twist Lounge as we are unable to find two seats together in the DL. 

No, OP could use his vouchers in Olive & Twist. This is not the Concierges concern. 

Concierges are not there to serve drinks, especially outside of the lounge.

Berating the staff is the kind of thing that will make this sign become enforced.

20190221_161217.jpg

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No, OP could use his vouchers in Olive & Twist. This is not the Concierges concern. 

Concierges are not there to serve drinks, especially outside of the lounge.

Berating the staff is the kind of thing that will make this sign become enforced.

I agree. I was being sarcastic toward the OP. I guess my attempt failed. 😳

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

The Concierge likely asked because it's very easy to use someone else's card to open the door.  For example, I could go in with my wife, after a few minutes, take her card and leave and give it to a friend to let him or her in.   Also you can easily follow someone through the door.  

Fair enough...that thought went through my head as well.  However the concierge was not the person checking the cards.  Checker was sitting at his desk, two feet away from me, greeting myself and my wife either by name or saying "Welcome back, beautiful people!" as our cards were being examined.

Edited by 3CatsInMA

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Our cards were not scanned.  They were given a cursory look by a person (not the concierge) standing just inside the door, so I'm unclear as to how that verifies my identity.😀

2 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Our cards were not scanned.  They were given a cursory look by a person (not the concierge) standing just inside the door, so I'm unclear as to how that verifies my identity.😀

They have the option to do that if they need to but in practice as you say they just look at your card or ask your name and cabin number.

While talking to a DLC she showed us our photos on her lap top so they might not always make it obvious they are checking D,D+ members.

8 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Fair enough...that thought went through my head as well.  However the concierge was not the person checking the cards.  Checker was sitting at his desk, two feet away from me, greeting myself and my wife either by name or saying "Welcome back, beautiful people!" as our cards were being examined.

Ahh....well actually that would explain it.  The person at the desk was likely tasked with checking everyone's card.  So he did his job.  First, he can see the C & A level by color of the card.  Second, if you have been going in every night, he likely recognized you.  We had this happen on more than one ship. On Vision in 2012, the Happy Hour was held in the Crown Lounge as there was no lounges at the time on the ship.  At the bottom of the stairs there was a crewmember checking every card every night of a 14 night cruise.   No big deal.  It was her job and she did it well.  

I get the whole "gee they surely recognize me by now" thought.  But just suppose you were a "nefarious type."  And after a day or so, after they got to recognize you and stopped checking your cards, you simply gave your cards to friends and you went in ahead of them and they wandered in after you by showing them your cards?  By you flashing your card, it removes that issue.  Just a thought.