diamond lounge access for non diamond family member

On 4/21/2019 at 2:00 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

Since you will get three vouchers each evening, you and your daughter can simply stop in to any bar and have a drink together. I think on most ships you can now use the vouchers during dinner.    I don’t know what ship you are sailing  but there are many many lovely areas around the ship to enjoy your daughter’s company. 

Celebrity does extend the privilege to cabin mates. 

Enjoy 

m

BTW, a couple years ago  my grown daughter,  who was my cabin mate  met me in the concierge lounge.  (I honestly don’t recall how she got in the door). She was diamond at the time  and (I know this is not important) does not drink alcohol. It was the first day of the cruise, and I had run into some friends at the pool who said “meet us in the concierge lounge tonight”.    Without thinking, I said “sure”   We did not arrive at the lounge together.   When I got into the lounge my daughter was already seated and having a glass of water. I asked the  concierge  if she could stay  and mentioned that she does not drink alcohol.   The lounge was maybe 1/3 full.   The concierge, who is now a sought after Genie raised his voice and let everyone in the room know I was attempting to break the rules and  that under no uncertain terms was she allowed in the room. 

We immediately left, and spent our time in the diamond lounge or around the ship.   

I doubt I will ever ask again. 

M

If your daughter was Diamond level why was there any problem with her using the lounge?

25 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

If your daughter was Diamond level why was there any problem with her using the lounge?

Because they were in the concierge lounge, not the diamond lounge. Must have been after diamonds lost access to that lounge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, squadron said:

Agreed!  I don't think they should be shared. Just met someone back from a cruise saying how "nice" it was that their new diamond friends "shared" - the women didn't drink but the husbands would have 3 drinks each after dinner.  I think  it could lead to removal of coupons if the practice becomes wide spread.

It is widespread and has been since it was established. Why do you or anyone else care what others do with their free drinks from the coupons?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, thrifty99 said:

We just got off the Harmony this morning. No non-Diamond guests were allowed in. During the nightly Happy Hour they always had an extra person checking the SeaPass card of every person coming in. 

Our DL was crowded from 4:30 to 6:30 each night and then was only half full the remainder of Happy Hour.  

Go ahead and ask if you want but be courteous if told they cannot come in with you. One lady this week had a meltdown when our concierge would not let in her guests. She yelled at him about making up his own rules. 

We were on Harmony last week too...it was the first time we had our Seapasses checked every night.  It did seem odd though, that the person would ask to see my card after watching me use it to open the door. :classic_rolleyes:

Royal does not take lightly people scamming to get free drinks. 

I know of a pinnacle member that was removed from the ship and banned for life. For shaving the premium drink sticker from one seapass and putting it on another on  B2B cruises. They were warned but paid no attention, even got nasty with the server.

8 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

It is widespread and has been since it was established. Why do you or anyone else care what others do with their free drinks from the coupons?

I think they explained why in the last sentence 😉

7 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

We were on Harmony last week too...it was the first time we had our Seapasses checked every night.  It did seem odd though, that the person would ask to see my card after watching me use it to open the door. :classic_rolleyes:

The Concierge likely asked because it's very easy to use someone else's card to open the door.  For example, I could go in with my wife, after a few minutes, take her card and leave and give it to a friend to let him or her in.   Also you can easily follow someone through the door.  

15 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I have mixed emotions about this whole "sharing" thing. First, let me say we have never shared our D drinks. However, we have shared our balcony discount with non Diamond members. That perk seems to be shared by a lot of people. And... it seems to be encouraged by RCI! Why is that perk allowed to be shared and the 3 free drinks aren't? Our friends haven't "earned" the balcony discount any more than they have earned a free drink.

Sharing a balcony discount gets a cabin sold and brings new people on to the cruise to spend money.  Sharing free drinks is a lost sale. 

9 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

If it's against the rules to share drinks, and people continue to do so, then the 3 free drinks will be removed as a perk and all Diamond and D+ will be driven back to the lounges and the overcrowding will be worse.  THAT'S why we care what others do with their free drinks.  I don't want to lose my privilege.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

If it's against the rules to share drinks, and people continue to do so, then the 3 free drinks will be removed as a perk and all Diamond and D+ will be driven back to the lounges and the overcrowding will be worse.  THAT'S why we care what others do with their free drinks.  I don't want to lose my privilege.  

I'm surer if it was frowned upon there would be something in the letter where it says you receive 3 free drinks per night during the hrs of ..... Like for personal use only?

54 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I'm surer if it was frowned upon there would be something in the letter where it says you receive 3 free drinks per night during the hrs of ..... Like for personal use only?

The letters we received from our March 2019  B2B cruise on the Freedom say's; IMPORTANT NOTICE...Dear Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members..."Drink vouchers are not redeemable for family members or friends"...

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, davekathy said:

The letters we received from our March 2019  B2B cruise on the Freedom say's; IMPORTANT NOTICE...Dear Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members..."Drink vouchers are not redeemable for family members or friends"...

That is the exception and on those rare occasions I would not share.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I will buy you a drink in the lounge...but won't buy you one at outside bars on my vouchers....unless you ask nicely, which of course all Royal DS members would do anyway.  😄 

You still have snow out there?  🤔

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I will buy you a drink in the lounge...but won't buy you one at outside bars on my vouchers....unless you ask nicely, which of course all Royal DS members would do anyway.  😄 

I would be honoured to buy a drink for any of our DS friends.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

That's how we Royal DS roll. :classic_wink: Only in the mountains and it's starting to melt. Higher elevations got snow Easter Sunday. 

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That is the exception and on those rare occasions I would not share.

Could be just this LAs policy or possibly going fleetwide. I just happened to save our letter and until this thread I never paid attention to what most of the letter said while on that cruise or other cruises. I thought seen one letter seen them all. 

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Sharing a balcony discount gets a cabin sold and brings new people on to the cruise to spend money.  Sharing free drinks is a lost sale. 

The cabin would have been sold and the people would have been on the cruise anyway. By sharing my discount, Royal Caribbean is getting $225 less for that cabin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, biomedbob said:

I agree that the DL is losing appeal.  On the Grandeur the DL can only be accessed by walking through the Schooner Bar.  It's become a gathering place for D+ and P's to sit and comment on the freeloaders passing through.

Lol so true....haha

For the first time since earning Diamond privileges long ago (we're now D+) I was questioned by the concierge as to why I was carrying two drinks from the DC to the adjoining Olive or Twist Lounge (Liberty of the Seas). Of course, the club was packed to overflowing, and my wife had found us a couple of seats in the lounge (also filled beyond capacity). My response was civil, although my thoughts were hardly so. The concierge replied that only one drink per member was permitted out of the DC, to which I requested that he find me two seats in the club, so there would be no question as to who the "prohibited" drink was for. I then simply walked away. The following morning, I spoke to the concierge, and in no uncertain terms (firm but fair)  let him know that his inference that I might be smuggling a drink to a non-Diamond member was unacceptable. He understood, but stated that he was bound by Royal's edict (now to be more strictly enforced), and that he also had to randomly check SeaPass cards of those in the DC at Happy Hour, lest an intruder find a way in. We've met some wonderful folks in the DC, and have maintained friendships with several of them. We'd hate to avoid the place, but we cannot tolerate such treatment by an individual whose reason for being aboard is to take exceptional care of us. "I'm only doing my job" is no excuse.    

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jewopaho said:

For the first time since earning Diamond privileges long ago (we're now D+) I was questioned by the concierge as to why I was carrying two drinks from the DC to the adjoining Olive or Twist Lounge (Liberty of the Seas). Of course, the club was packed to overflowing, and my wife had found us a couple of seats in the lounge (also filled beyond capacity). My response was civil, although my thoughts were hardly so. The concierge replied that only one drink per member was permitted out of the DC, to which I requested that he find me two seats in the club, so there would be no question as to who the "prohibited" drink was for. I then simply walked away. The following morning, I spoke to the concierge, and in no uncertain terms (firm but fair)  let him know that his inference that I might be smuggling a drink to a non-Diamond member was unacceptable. He understood, but stated that he was bound by Royal's edict (now to be more strictly enforced), and that he also had to randomly check SeaPass cards of those in the DC at Happy Hour, lest an intruder find a way in. We've met some wonderful folks in the DC, and have maintained friendships with several of them. We'd hate to avoid the place, but we cannot tolerate such treatment by an individual whose reason for being aboard is to take exceptional care of us. "I'm only doing my job" is no excuse.    

He was doing his job! And a job well done is never an excuse.

Had he thrown a tantrum or loudly insulted you or been rude in any way, I can understand your objection.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, jewopaho said:

I'm sure he has a lot more duties to do than just look after us at happy hour and as long as he was friendly he was just doing his job.

Most of us have jobs to do and if we don't follow our bosses instructions we might all get sacked so please don't be so hard on the DLC.

Graham.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jewopaho said:

If people didn't try to sneak drinks to others or sneak their friends in, or sneak into the lounge themselves this would not be an issue at all.  

A simple response of my wife got us seats while I got drinks was all he was most likely looking for.  I would prefer the question to be asked, nicely of course, and have benefits remain.  Too many people looking for exceptions and/or bragging about getting them any more.