Currency in Norway

Bav

USD and Euros are not accepted. You will need SEK for Sweden NOK for Norway. You can withdraw from ATM's. You will not need a lot of cash though, cards are widely accepted as payment.

16 minutes ago, Bav said:

On cruise to Norway/ Denmark in June... Will they accept Euros in Norway ?  

No to Euros in Norway.

Since you mention Denmark, it's basically no to Euros in Denmark also. Some places like the canal tour did accept Euros, US$, maybe others.

Although both Denmark and Norway use the Kroner, they are different, like the U.S. and Canada $

If taking a tour that you paid for in US$ you normally can tip the guide in US$. Guides for ship's tours accept US$ as tips.

Credit cards are widely accepted in both Denmark and Norway. You might need cash for public busses, but almost anywhere else you can pay by CC - I’ll just done 10 days round trip in Norway - did not use cash at all. Highly recommend to have a CC with chip and pin.

Also notice that tipping is not necessary at all - all prices does include VAT as well as a service charge for restaurant and other services.

Yes, Euros are accepted on the tourist routes, although probably not a good rate, and tourist shops will have signs saying £ $ € accepted here. We've even bought goods at market stalls with €€- fine woollen slippers were priced at £20 or €20 or $30 at the market in Stavanger.

But on the whole, you'll probably need a few krone for basics, but almost everything is done by card now.

I was on a QM2 cruise that was stranded for the night in Stavanger (the only non EU port) due to the weather forecast for the next port causing the pilot to cancel. Was later told by the Brits on board that local drinking establishments would accept GBP for a nearly 50% markup over the exchange rate; a pint that would have been just over 6 pounds if converting Krone at par was going for 9 or 10. Would think one would just use their credit card at that point.

A most unpleasant memory of my first visit to the beautiful, welcoming country of Norway was a scene that I witnessed in a bakery shop.  A woman tried to purchase an item with US Dollars.  The clerk literally threw her money back to her.  I don't recall accurately what the clerk said to her, but it is clear in my memory that trying to use such currency was very offensive to the clerk.  

For me, the moral of that story was very simple:  I will always have some currency that is accepted wherever I am visiting.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A most unpleasant memory of my first visit to the beautiful, welcoming country of Norway was a scene that I witnessed in a bakery shop.  A woman tried to purchase an item with US Dollars.  The clerk literally threw her money back to her.  I don't recall accurately what the clerk said to her, but it is clear in my memory that trying to use such currency was very offensive to the clerk.  

For me, the moral of that story was very simple:  I will always have some currency that is accepted wherever I am visiting.

Ahhh,  the Ugly American strikes again :(.  For some strange reason, many of my fellow Americans still think that that US Dollar reigns supreme and is welcomed everywhere!   In some cultures folks our offended when you think they will just worship the almighty dollar and in many other cultures they will accept the US Dollar (and American tips) but give you a lousy exchange rate and say/think nasty things behind your back.   Imagine what would happen if somebody tried to pay for something in a US store with Norwegian Kroner.   These days International travel is easy with the acceptance of major credit cards and the common availability of ATM machines which will dispense the proper currency.

Hank

Agree that NOK is the currency to use but in fact you will find it hard to use.  Cruised the Fjords last year and did a land trip 2 years ago and can honestly say that Norway is close to being a cashless society.  Even small convenience purchases can be done by CC and there use is encouraged.  Get a few NOK if you must but you will not need much.

• Like 1

We have cruised a few times to Norway. Never used Kroner, just Euros (yes accepted in many touristic places) or creditcard or bankcard. No problem.

• Like 1

We took some Kroner.

Norway is expensive enough without having to use Euros with a bad exchange rate in shops. We found about 1/3 of places accepted Euros when viewing other people.

We found shopping/dining really expensive and limited choice in Norway (as we expected) so didn't buy much at all with cards or Kroner anyway. I don't want to pay £15 for a small wooden tourist piece of tat or spend £25 on a basic pasta dish.

13 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

VISA and Master Card works almost everywhere, but American Express and Diners does not! Very few accept American Express or Diners.

But what are the exchange rates like for VISA and Master Card?  I always try to get local currency (for souvenirs, other small things) if I think I'll be spending money in a port/country, usually at an ATM.  We've traveled in Canada many times either for DH's professional conventions, visits to his Canadian relatives, or just doing the tourist thing.  So if we don't have any or little from a prior trip, we'll stop at an ATM early on.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

But what are the exchange rates like for VISA and Master Card?  I always try to get local currency (for souvenirs, other small things) if I think I'll be spending money in a port/country, usually at an ATM.  We've traveled in Canada many times either for DH's professional conventions, visits to his Canadian relatives, or just doing the tourist thing.  So if we don't have any or little from a prior trip, we'll stop at an ATM early on.

With most Visa/MC cards you get about the best exchange rate.  It is normally based on the current wholesale rate of exchange (which constantly changes throughout the day) minus a 1% International Services Fee (ISF) which is buried in the exchange rate.  But many credit cards also impose a Foreign Exchange Fee which can vary from 1 - 5%.  So the key is to have a Visa/MC that has zero foreign exchange fees.  Probably the most popular such card (among frequent travelers) is the MC card issued by CapitalOne.  There are other fee free cards such as the GlobalTrek Visa issued by Andrews Federal Credit Union.  Those who have a higher-end credit card such as AMEX Gold or Platinum, Chase Sapphire, etc. can also use those cards without incurring any Foreign Exchange Fee.

As one's that do a lot of International Travel (6-7 months a year) we have made it an obsession to have fee-free cards.  We carry MC, Visa and Amex cards as well as several fee-free ATM cards (each drawn on a different account in different banks).  These cards have one thing in common in that none of them charge a foreign exchange fee.  While this is not that important to those that take an occasional cruise, it saves us a lot of money over a period of time...because we often need access to lots of cash or credit when out of our country.  Saving 2-3% is not important if you are only spending a few hundred dollars.  But consider that $10,000 worth of ATM withdrawals can save you over $300 if you use the proper card.

Hank

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

They exchange at the bank rate.  That is, the rate that banks changing millions or billions get.  Same as ATM.

Only caveat, is to have a card that does not charge foreign exchange fees.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, skynight said:

No to Euros in Norway.

Since you mention Denmark, it's basically no to Euros in Denmark also. Some places like the canal tour did accept Euros, US$, maybe others.

Although both Denmark and Norway use the Kroner, they are different, like the U.S. and Canada $

If taking a tour that you paid for in US$ you normally can tip the guide in US$. Guides for ship's tours accept US$ as tips.

We were just in Copenhagen and noticed the Euro was accepted in lots of places. I read they are also accepted by airport taxi drivers, but don't know if that is true.  We were pretty much in tourist areas so it is kind of understandable why they would accept Euros.   I would not be surprised if merchants in other areas would not want them.   We used AMEX for just about everything without any issues.   

On 5/4/2019 at 12:04 PM, Hlitner said:

With most Visa/MC cards you get about the best exchange rate.  It is normally based on the current wholesale rate of exchange (which constantly changes throughout the day) minus a 1% International Services Fee (ISF) which is buried in the exchange rate.  But many credit cards also impose a Foreign Exchange Fee which can vary from 1 - 5%.  So the key is to have a Visa/MC that has zero foreign exchange fees.  Probably the most popular such card (among frequent travelers) is the MC card issued by CapitalOne.  There are other fee free cards such as the GlobalTrek Visa issued by Andrews Federal Credit Union.  Those who have a higher-end credit card such as AMEX Gold or Platinum, Chase Sapphire, etc. can also use those cards without incurring any Foreign Exchange Fee.

As one's that do a lot of International Travel (6-7 months a year) we have made it an obsession to have fee-free cards.  We carry MC, Visa and Amex cards as well as several fee-free ATM cards (each drawn on a different account in different banks).  These cards have one thing in common in that none of them charge a foreign exchange fee.  While this is not that important to those that take an occasional cruise, it saves us a lot of money over a period of time...because we often need access to lots of cash or credit when out of our country.  Saving 2-3% is not important if you are only spending a few hundred dollars.  But consider that $10,000 worth of ATM withdrawals can save you over $300 if you use the proper card.

Hank

"Saving 2-3% is not important if you are only spending a few hundred dollars."

Good point that may be overlooked.  The credit card foreign exchange fees for smaller purchases is not a significant consideration (especially when compared to the fees charged by money exchange places-Yikes!).  We don't worry so much about the credit cards but do have ATM cards that do not have exchange fees.  So, we always have the option if larger purchases are made.  

38 minutes ago, SRF said:

It cost me $60 for a light lunch with a beer

When you compare prices in Denmark and Norway versus US remember that gratitude/ service as well as VAT always is included in prices - no need for tipping at restaurants. I have many examples were a light lunch and beer was more than $60 is US once VAT and tips were added.

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

When you compare prices in Denmark and Norway versus US remember that gratitude/ service as well as VAT always is included in prices - no need for tipping at restaurants. I have many examples were a light lunch and beer was more than $60 is US once VAT and tips were added.

As you know, VAT is included in most spots around Europe and many worldwide but if I am in say...Germany (Also known as Europe's best tippers) a small beer and a  lunch doesn't cost me £30-40. It is more something around the £15 mark for 1. Even a £2-3 tip doesn't hike it up that much.

I love Northern Europe dearly but they are pricier in things than more southern parts. Saying that though...the UK can be pricy and that is getting worse due to various situations right now.

US we found could be pricey for drinks but food less so. It averaged out around £20 with tip for a similar lunch.

Edited by Velvetwater

On 5/4/2019 at 4:10 AM, Hlitner said:

Ahhh,  the Ugly American strikes again :(.  For some strange reason, many of my fellow Americans still think that that US Dollar reigns supreme and is welcomed everywhere!   In some cultures folks our offended when you think they will just worship the almighty dollar and in many other cultures they will accept the US Dollar (and American tips) but give you a lousy exchange rate and say/think nasty things behind your back.   Imagine what would happen if somebody tried to pay for something in a US store with Norwegian Kroner.   These days International travel is easy with the acceptance of major credit cards and the common availability of ATM machines which will dispense the proper currency.

Hank

That wouldn't excuse the cited rude behavior.  The customer may not always be right, but the customer is always the customer.

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

It averaged out around £20 with tip for a similar lunch.

Do we really know what a similar lunch is - I can easily find a nice lunch with a beer in Copenhagen at £ 15 - Norway might be a bit more expensive. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

Do we really know what a similar lunch is - I can easily find a nice lunch with a beer in Copenhagen at £ 15 - Norway might be a bit more expensive. 

My similar lunches are pretty much a Beer, sandwich and salad/side dish in all the respective countries I quoted while sitting down within the establishment.