Tipping Rules

denmarks

This policy may have changed so I am asking here if anyone knows for sure and can point me to documentation.

Princess has a fixed tip based on room type that can be modified or removed.

If you tip anyone above the automatic tip can they keep it?

If you tip anyone instead of the automatic tip must they share it?

Edited by denmarks
  • Haha 2

I almost always add a few cash tips above and beyond the auto gratuities -- long before they implemented the automatic gratuities program, I would tip my cabin steward and my waitstaff well above the recommended amounts, so I still pay the excess in cash.  These people work hard to insure that my vacation is wonderful!  

I do not know if they report the cash tip or not.

Edited by Mike45LC
Correct typo

Despite what many post on CC, it really is unknown if crew receives extra tips and has to report it or put it in the central amount.  If you really want to help a crew member that you feel has given extra service, fill out a form at the PSD and put it in the box.  Further and better is to get the crew member's name and job and fill out a recommendation when you receive the emailed evaluation after the cruise.  Those recommendations can lead to that crew member getting a promotion.  Giving money is nice but written recommendations are a lot better in the long run.

• Like 3

I gave the over and above cash tips as well as filling out the commendation cards and the survey recommending them.  I hope that they are able to keep what we handed them.

They were so very good to us and made our 25th wedding anniversary very special.

🥂

Legend had it there was one guy on here that knew what actually happens to cash carefully folded and quietly slipped into a crew members hand with a wink, regardless of auto-gratuities ...but he is now in a witness protection program.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

The crew contract says all cash tips, MUST be turned in, it is silent as to what happens with it after that which leaves people to speculate or accept what they have been told as gospel.

i know crew have told me stuff that is blatantly not true, I suspect at t8mes to try and get extra in tips, like one who told us on night one that he hadn’t seen his wife in over a year, second last night he told us she had just had a baby and he was trying to save enough to send a really nice gift, hmmmm and many believed him (maybe hadn’t been told the not seen wife in over a year bit,) and tipped extra “For the little one”.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Had not seen his wife for more than a year and she just had a baby.  He wanted to send a gift.  That is hilarious.  I wonder how many fell for that lie. 

It looked like a few fell for the baby part no idea how many he had tried the “not seen her for a year,” on. 

On 5/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, satxdiver said:

Had not seen his wife for more than a year and she just had a baby.  He wanted to send a gift.  That is hilarious.  I wonder how many fell for that lie. 

MORE than a year. 😂

On 5/23/2019 at 8:02 PM, jimmieg said:

Legend had it there was one guy on here that knew what actually happens to cash carefully folded and quietly slipped into a crew members hand with a wink, regardless of auto-gratuities ...but he is now in a witness protection program.

Very good

I am recently off the Sapphire Princess after 21 days (2 cruises). I went to guest services to ask the same question and was told that if I had been paying the auto gratuities (I had) any amount I chose to give my cabin steward, he would be able to keep. Guest Services gave me an envelope and I put the cash in it with my name and cabin number on it along with a brief note thanking him for his excellent service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our assistant waiter on one of our cruises showed us a photo of "his" little girl, whom he said he had not seen in 9 months. I recognized right away that it was one of the photo backdrops used on the ship. It was also suspicious that he carried such a large photo in his pocket where it got wrinkled. But it must have worked at eliciting extra tips from some passengers.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:16 PM, denmarks said:

This policy may have changed so I am asking here if anyone knows for sure and can point me to documentation.

Princess has a fixed tip based on room type that can be modified or removed.

If you tip anyone above the automatic tip can they keep it?

If you tip anyone instead of the automatic tip must they share it?

It all goes into a pool. they do not keep it. The contract was posted on another tipping site so search for it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

never can understand why so many threads on this issue... leave the auto tip, tip more if you choose end of story.  Enjoy your vacation.

Plus complete a commendation card on board and/or mention him/her in the on-line survey you will receive post cruise.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

never can understand why so many threads on this issue... leave the auto tip, tip more if you choose end of story.  Enjoy your vacation.

😊😊😊👆👆👆👍👍👍👍🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

I am recently off the Sapphire Princess after 21 days (2 cruises). I went to guest services to ask the same question and was told that if I had been paying the auto gratuities (I had) any amount I chose to give my cabin steward, he would be able to keep. Guest Services gave me an envelope and I put the cash in it with my name and cabin number on it along with a brief note thanking him for his excellent service.

13 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

It all goes into a pool. they do not keep it. The contract was posted on another tipping site so search for it.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it. It is still wrong.   🤪

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It doesn't matter how many times you say it. It is still wrong.   🤪

I agree with Colo Cruiser.  In my experience (two times on different ships a couple of years apart) when my traveling companions forgot to put their names and cabin number on the envelope, I overheard the wait staff asking them to add that information so that they could keep the entire tip.