Here's a fun "what if..." with responses that might surprise you.

chrismch

What if you were offered an all-expense paid cruise? What would you choose... The best suite to your favorite ports? A river cruise or an ocean cruise? A private yacht and crew? A world cruise? Your choice - don't overthink it, just write your first thoughts.

My DH opted for a world cruise, but my first thoughts were a long Asian cruise (loved the movie "Crazy Rich Asians" and the Singapore images). So now it's time for your thoughts. What's your dream vacation if money was not an issue?

First instinct would be a Galapagos Island cruise on Celebrity Flora, or an Antarctica cruise. One of the "once in a lifetime" opportunities. World cruise would also be great, but not really reasonable to miss that much work and finding a pet sitter for 6 months+

• Like 1

Just now, EatonDoolittle said:

Thread just below this one...

I feel they are two slightly different ideas though. For example, if I won the lottery I wouldn't have to worry about going back to work, I could just retire. If I was just gifted a free cruise of my choice, however, I'd know I'd still have to go back to work after getting back.

• Like 1

I think I’d buy Prinsendam, have her completely refitted and updated, have her home ported in either New Haven or New London, CT for ease of access, then start lining up passenger lists for a series of itineraries ranging from a week or so for summer sailings to Quebec or Bermuda and longer winter itineraries to wherever the h**l I wanted  - to avoid New England winters.

Love the answers! Some are the ship is the main thing and you'd want the most bodacious size cabin.

For others it's the destination you'd be going as the first thought.

Love the one about buying a ship and refurbishing it to your specs. What surprised me with that response is the poster would then turn it back to use for others to use as well!

So what's your dream cruise?

50 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

if I were given a free all expense cruise, I would turn it down as I would probably believe it was a scam (which actually happens more than you think)

I think that depends on who is giving it to you.........a trip bequeathed to you in the will of an uncle or given to you as a birthday gift from your spouse, for instance, is a very different situation than if you got an email or phone call out of the blue from some unknown marketing company offering you a free cruise.

Personally my choice would be:  Luxury ship, balcony cabin of at least 400 sq ft, there-and-back transpacific trip with no less than 3 sea days in a row in any one segment. 

If Everything was legit, and everything was paid for (provisions, alcohol, fuel, crew, etc.), I would take my DH and friends on a private mega yacht cruise around the Mediterranean for a whole cruising season.  The friends could come and go if they needed to, but DH and I would stay.  😃

Love the responses! Interesting that some would question if the trip was legit or a scam. Years ago there was a TV show (not a reality show) about a billionaire who would give a million dollars to an individual with the one stipulation they couldn't tell anyone - including a spouse or friends - where the money came from. If they did, the money would be forfeited. Sometimes the windfall was a blessing to them, other times it tore their lives apart.

I would definitely go somewhere on Queen Mary 2. I'll have to find one no longer then 12 days because I just don't think I could be on a ship any longer then that.

Edited by Dream1

7 hours ago, chrismch said:

Love the responses! Interesting that some would question if the trip was legit or a scam. Years ago there was a TV show (not a reality show) about a billionaire who would give a million dollars to an individual with the one stipulation they couldn't tell anyone - including a spouse or friends - where the money came from. If they did, the money would be forfeited. Sometimes the windfall was a blessing to them, other times it tore their lives apart.

The show was The Millionaire. And his name was John Beresford Tipton. And that show was a really long time ago!

33 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The show was The Millionaire. And his name was John Beresford Tipton. And that show was a really long time ago!

And back when $1,000,000 was actually a lot of money. Check and see what you can buy for $1,000,000 in Silicon Valley. Would guess that over 95% of us live in much nicer places than that!

9 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

And back when $1,000,000 was actually a lot of money. Check and see what you can buy for $1,000,000 in Silicon Valley. Would guess that over 95% of us live in much nicer places than that!

The show was actually on from January 1955 to June 1960. And yes, a million dollars went a lot further in those days.

Buy a yacht and pay someone to sail it for me and someone else to cook and clean. Toodle around the Mediterranean for a bit... especially Croatia and the greek islands and the Turkish coast, with all that blue water and history.

(Mr. Marvie and the kids could come with. Friends could join for a while. But I'm enough of an introvert that I'd be totally okay with it just being me, the crew and the sea...)