Ever have awful Table mates?

We shared a table for 8 with three lovely couples from New York to Southampton. On the continuation to Hamburg we knew that we'd get all new dinner companions (the one couple who was continuing on had a large family joining them so we knew that either we or they were going to a different table).

We discovered that we were the only fluent English speakers, the rest of the table was occupied by Germans. A solo women sat down, said to my wife "Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" (my wife doesn't) and then immediately went looking for someplace else to sit.. 

The other couples were pleasant enough even though we really couldn't communicate, and I couldn't see making noise over two nights.

The head waiter came by toward the end of the second evening and sort of acknowledged that we shouldn't have been seated with German-speakers and sort of apologized (but not really).

46 minutes ago, iancal said:

And by the way, we are not particularly interested in a tablemate's medical history or ailments.  Same goes for their partner.

double-double

Edited by Mike981

43 minutes ago, iancal said:

And by the way, we are not particularly interested in a tablemate's medical history or ailments.  Same goes for their partner.

Or what they paid for their cruise or air fair, or how many nights they will be eating in a specialty restaurant, or how they go to the spa everyday, or...

2 hours ago, iancal said:

I feel the same way unless they are Colonel Steve Austin and want to demonstrate their superior visual acuity by helping me win at poker...  😄 😄 😄 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I have seen lots of posts where people say that their tablemates didn't speak english, included some in this thread. So it really can't be very rare that people are mixed together. It's also very possible that people living in one country speak another languages so even if the cruiseline really tries to avoid it it will still happen a lot.

One of the two times we insisted on being moved to a new table as we left the MDR the first evening was when we were seated with two French Canadian couples, who made no recognition of our existence - or demonstrated any familiarity with inside eating. My French (which works quite well in France - with the obvious exception of Paris - as well as in Quebec) was met with stony silence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Or what they paid for their cruise or air fair, or how many nights they will be eating in a specialty restaurant, or how they go to the spa everyday, or...

😈Just to play Devil's advocate for a second, Mike -- at least about the specialty restaurant announcements. Back in the day when we did traditional seating, we would always tell our table-mates which nights we would be dining elsewhere. Not to brag, but so they wouldn't sit and wait for us, on those nights.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

😈Just to play Devil's advocate for a second, Mike -- at least about the specialty restaurant announcements. Back in the day when we did traditional seating, we would always tell our table-mates which nights we would be dining elsewhere. Not to brag, but so they wouldn't sit and wait for us, on those nights.

Oh you devil you!!  LOL

What you describe is being polite with your table mates, we did/do the same. If we find some new friends who we try to visit with at one of the bars each evening, we will let them know if we have a change of plans the next day.

I'm talking about people that are braggarts and often posers who feel the need to lie so they feel better about themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Do you mean that you think we're so sensitive as to be offended when people ask?  No, we're not. 

We're offended when people make negative comments or demands after we tell them about our jobs or where we live - and it's happened so often, we've chosen a way to try and protect ourselves from that type of harassment. 

There is no excuse for people making negative comments about your job or residence.  I have no problem lumping people like that into the general jerk category.  

What I'm referring to is this seemingly general message that somehow its now rude to even ask a person what they do or where they're from.  That, I think is ridiculous and an indictment of the times.  

• Like 1

I was thinking about this discussion while I was mowing the lawn and thought of a lovely family we met a few years ago in the MDR. They had two children that were close to our kids ages (later teens) and they were just a lot of fun as a family. It makes me question our consistent request for a table for two, then I remember how close the tables are and it makes no difference.

Only have one bad table mate experience. Was on a Princess ship and on formal night we were at an eight top with two other couples who were also properly dressed. The other couple were older and the man, while decently dressed, did not wear a jacket or tie. When I turned to greet him I was met with a sneer and he waved his black elite card in my face. I guess he was telling me that as an "elite" he was not required to conform with the dress code and/or that as a mere gold card, I should only speak when spoken to. I just shrugged it off. A little while later he asked if I would pass the rolls. I pretended not to hear him and passed it in the other direction, and turned and gave him my best sorry/not sorry smile. My table mates played along by making sure they emptied the basket before it got to him.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ducklite said:

Some cruise lines automatically assign people to a MDR table without a choice.   

I know we like anytime dining but our last Celebrity cruise we did that was too full and we got assigned dining. we had booked about 5 months out too so not last minute. The issue is anytime dining is very popular now.

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Lol. Does it matter? really? I just feel sorry for people like that becasue they seem to think the more money they spend the happier they will be. and you know it does not make them any happier. Their bragging is really them trying to convince themselves they  are happy. If they areas  obnoxious as you imply I'd appreciate their absence and if I book a specialty, plan it a night they are in the main dining room.

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

Hey, we're English.

And we struggle to understand the Scots, especially Glaswegians. :classic_biggrin:

And. come to think of it, Geordies (NE England), Brummies (Birmingham) and Scousers (Liverpool).

Four quarters of a country divided by a common language, to mis-quote Oscar Wilde. Or was it George Bernard Shaw? Or Winston Churchill?

JB :classic_smile:

• Haha 5

We avoid shared tables because my husband is quite hard of hearing and can't participate in conversation if there is too much distance between him and whoever is talking.

Question:  How do you answer if someone asks you if you cruise much?  We try to reply in a neutral way, but sometimes people ask how many cruises and I feel like we are bragging.  Would you fib about it?

21 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

We avoid shared tables because my husband is quite hard of hearing and can't participate in conversation if there is too much distance between him and whoever is talking.

Question:  How do you answer if someone asks you if you cruise much?  We try to reply in a neutral way, but sometimes people ask how many cruises and I feel like we are bragging.  Would you fib about it?

How about "oh, I can't count that high."  🙂  We don't travel as much as many people but travel more than most.  I don't feel like it's bragging.  It's what we love to do.  And I have a 20 y.o. car!

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

I would not fib about it.  I don't think you would be bragging by just sharing your experience.  Something like "we have been lucky to have been on 78 cruises".   I mean, that is a real conversation starter in my book.    Hey,  you might give your table mates something to shoot for!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

Well, you could brag, as in, “Oh, I’m suuure we’ve been on more than anyone here, probably 300, but who is counting? And we allllways get suites, because, well, you know...” 

Or you could simply answer the question - “We cruise as often as we can. It’s our thing. Some people go to Disney World, we cruise. What about you?”

If I asked someone if they cruise much, it would be because I was interested. I’d be a bit sad if someone felt they had to lie to me, even to ostensibly not hurt my feelings.

Edited by Tonopah
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gooch47 said:

No, we don't lie. If they asked that question,  I would just say 'we do a few each year' and if asked to elaborate then tell them the number. The follow up question is normally something like 'what was the best place you cruised?' or 'where is your next one?'

OK, just kind of wondering about this thread . . .

One poster says they asked to be moved to another table because of the awful table mates.   Another poster says they were so glad that horrible couple took the hint and moved to another table.   

What are they chances they are talking about each other!  😀😀😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

OK, just kind of wondering about this thread . . .

One poster says they asked to be moved to another table because of the awful table mates.   Another poster says they were so glad that horrible couple took the hint and moved to another table.   

What are they chances they are talking about each other!  😀😀😀

In an Orwellian world, that would be the case.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1