Passport ID card (US) - Why don’t most use it?

Icon901

I see a lot of posts fretting about taking passports ashore, copies of passports, etc. 

Yet I’ve not once seen mention of a US Passport ID card. Why is that? It’s as good as a passport in the carribean, Mexico, Canada.... it’s also REAL ID compliant, and likely more recognizable than state drivers licenses for anything you may need a photo ID for. And it’s waterproof 🙂 

Why is the standard not to Leave the passport in the safe, take the card, and be done it? 

19 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

I see a lot of posts fretting about taking passports ashore, copies of passports, etc. 

Yet I’ve not once seen mention of a US Passport ID card. Why is that? It’s as good as a passport in the carribean, Mexico, Canada.... it’s also REAL ID compliant, and likely more recognizable than state drivers licenses for anything you may need a photo ID for. And it’s waterproof 🙂 

Why is the standard not to Leave the passport in the safe, take the card, and be done it? 

There's really not much use to a passport card, since it's not usable to fly from a foreign port back the US.  Why spend the money for a passport card, when a birth certificate & driver's license works (for no extra cost).

7 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

There's really not much use to a passport card, since it's not usable to fly from a foreign port back the US.  Why spend the money for a passport card, when a birth certificate & driver's license works (for no extra cost).

Why would I need to fly back to the US if I’m on a cruise, short of a very rare event causing me to miss the ship?

Wouldn’t that “flight home” limitation apply to a drivers license as well? 

Edited by Icon901

1 minute ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Why pay for something I don't need?? I have a passport and can fly internationally with it, no need for me to use the Passport Card. 

The question less for those dead set on carrying their passport ashore, it appears nothing will sway those. 

There seem to be a lot of folks who would prefer to leave their passport safe aboard the ship, and quite a bit of dissent on what the best alternative is. 

7 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

Why would I need to fly back to the US if I’m on a cruise, short of a very rare event causing me to miss the ship? Wouldn’t that limitation apply to a drivers license? 

Yes.  What I'm saying it, if you're going to buy a passport for the odd happening that you may need to fly home from a cruise (injury, ship breaks down, whatever), you must get the book.  A passport card won't get you any more than just using the BC & DL.

If you have to fly home from a foreign port, while only using a BC & DL for cruising, you'll have to get an emergency passport before you can fly.  Same if you have the passport card.  Why spend the money for the passport card in that event?

I have a passport book.  I use it to get on the ship, and re-enter the US when the cruise is done.  When in port, my passport is in the safe, and I use my driver's license as my required photo ID to enter the various port locations to reboard the ship at the end of the day.  And it's waterproof.

Edited by Shmoo here

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes.  What I'm saying it, if you're going to buy a passport for the odd happening that you may need to fly home from a cruise (injury, ship breaks down, whatever), you must get the book.  A passport card won't get you any more than just using the BC & DL.

If you have to fly home from a foreign port, while only using a BC & DL for cruising, you'll have to get an emergency passport before you can fly.  Same if you have the passport card.  Why spend the money for the passport card in that event?

Sorry if It seemed like I was suggesting a card in Lieu of a book. I meant as an on shore alternative to a DL + BC or paper copy of the book (which can get wet).

Also maybe for some like myself that want something more “official” than a state DL, but not risk the book. It was definitely more well received than state DLs in Europe. 

The $6.50/yr isn’t really cost prohibitive, IMO.

I’m glad to hear discussion. Thanks so far. 

Just now, Icon901 said:

Sorry if It seemed like I was suggesting a card in Lieu of a book. I meant as an on shore alternative to a DL + BC or paper copy of the book (which can get wet).

Also maybe for some like myself that want something more “official” than a state DL, but not risk the book. It was definitely more well received than state DLs in Europe. 

The $6.50/yr isn’t really cost prohibitive, IMO.

I’m glad to hear discussion. Thanks so far. 

You don't need the birth certificate while in port.  Most ports only require a ship's card and government issued photo ID (driver's license) to enter the port area to reboard the ship.  

I still say, why get the passport card?  Either get the passport book, if you need it (some cruises require it), or just use your BC & DL.  

My personal choice is the book, and I use my DL in ports for ID.  UNLESS it's required to carry a passport.

Again, I’m referring to getting both book and card (which I did), taking both on board (which I will), and using the card for ID and leaving the passport safe in the room. 

I’m not referring to people who are hell bent on taking passports ashore. Or those who are comfortable with just a DL. I’m not talking about people who want to go ashore without any photo ID (which seems risky from what I read. 

I’m suggesting this as a more convenient, recognizable/official, waterproof alternative for the State DL + BC or copy of passport crowd.... which seems to be the position for Many cruisers based on what I read here. 

Hopefully I explained it clearly enough there 😄 

EDIT: to add the passport also has some key info like your passport number that could make getting home more easily than with just a DL.. in the highly unlikely event you’re left ashore. 

Edited by Icon901

Just now, Icon901 said:

Again, I’m referring to getting both book and card (which I did), taking both on board (which I will), and using the card for ID and leaving the passport safe in the room. 

I’m not referring to people who are hell bent on taking passports ashore. I’m not talking about people who want to go ashore without any photo ID (which seems risky from what I read. 

I’m suggesting this as a more convenient, recognizable/official, waterproof alternative to State DL + BC. 

Hopefully I explained it clearly enough there 😄 

I understand that.  I'm just saying, it's not necessary to buy both.  As I noted, you don't take your BC ashore, only a DL is necessary.  And it's "recognizable/official" as well as being waterproof.

There are people who will not step foot in a foreign country without passport in hand.  That's their choice.  In many ports that's not necessary.  But, why try to convince them to buy a card along with their book, if they don't want to?

Actually, the US Passport Card is a worthwhile investment if you live in a border state and cross into Canada or Mexico regularly (or even just occasionally). It also is useful if you (or your state) doesn't have a Real ID or Enhanced DL (which is now the minimal ID required to fly domestically). 

I have a Passport book and card. Our preferred cruise line requires the passport book for all passengers on all itineraries and we usually cruise from/to non-US ports (requiring international air and, thus, the passport book). Since I also fly domestically, having the passport card too has saved me the time and hassle of getting the new California Real DL (or using my passport book instead of my non-compliant old style CA driver's license).  The Passport Card also gets me across the SoCal border and serves as an ideal ID when visiting cruise ports (where I would never carry my passport book ashore unless required by government authorities).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, the US Passport Card is a worthwhile investment if you live in a border state and cross into Canada or Mexico regularly (or even just occasionally). It also is useful if you (or your state) doesn't have a Real ID or Enhanced DL (which is now the minimal ID required to fly domestically). 

I have a Passport book and card. Our preferred cruise line requires the passport book for all passengers on all itineraries and we usually cruise from/to non-US ports (requiring international air and, thus, the passport book). Since I also fly domestically, having the passport card too has saved me the time and hassle of getting the new California Real DL (or using my passport book instead of my non-compliant old style CA driver's license).  The Passport Card also gets me across the SoCal border and serves as an ideal ID when visiting cruise ports (where I would never carry my passport book ashore unless required by government authorities).

This. For most people ashore for a few hours in a port stop it's really not a big deal and I doubt that most think about it that much- they bring their driver's license and cabin card ashore. We originally started cruising with DL/birth certificate/naturalization certificate, but when I found out how much it costs to replace DW's naturalization certificate ($550) I looked at alternatives to bringing it on a cruise because even a cup of water of spilled on it would be an expensive mistake (and since I'm a klutz...). I looked at getting a passport card or an EDL (since we live in one of the 5 states that issue them) and decided to opt for the EDL since we always have our license with us and we don't need to worry about carrying another thing in our wallets. 

One poster had it right, I think. They took their passport ashore in case something happened that caused them to miss the ship and left their passport card in the safe so if something happened to the passport they still had a document that would get them through Customs at the end of the trip.

We personally leave our passports on board, simply because we don't like carrying things ashore that we don't need to carry.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It also is useful if you (or your state) doesn't have a Real ID or Enhanced DL (which is now the minimal ID required to fly domestically). 

While I agree with most of your post, the above is inaccurate. The REAL ID requirement for domestic air travel, having been postponed numerous times, won't be in effect until October 2020...so it's not the minimal ID "now". You can still fly with a non-compliant drivers license.

While this is not a bad idea......

I see no reason to get a passport card.  I have a REAL ID compliant DL and a passport book.  And a Global Entry card (which is also government ID and REAL ID compliant).

10 hours ago, Icon901 said:

Why would I need to fly back to the US if I’m on a cruise, short of a very rare event causing me to miss the ship?

Wouldn’t that “flight home” limitation apply to a drivers license as well? 

1. Medical emergency.

2. Yes, it applies to DL and birth cert.

My $.02: for the purposes stated in the original post, it's just redundant if you already have a passport book and your DL with you. A govt issue photo ID is required along with your ship card when leaving/returning to the ship. In almost all cases a DL is suffcient- I've never experienced trouble with this in the ports we've visited in the Caribbean. In this case a passport card is superfluous. Of course it comes in handy in some of the other situations mentioned, but that wasn't what was originally asked.

17 hours ago, Icon901 said:

Passport cards may ONLY be used by US citizens in travel to Canada, Mecico, Bermuda or Carribbean island nations. No good anywhere else in the world.

1 hour ago, irisj46 said:

Passport cards may ONLY be used by US citizens in travel to Canada, Mecico, Bermuda or Carribbean island nations. No good anywhere else in the world.

In those countries only by land or sea, not by air.

As a lifelong Michigan resident who also has several family members in New York State, I got the Passport Card at the same time as my passport so that I didn't have to carry my Passport Book with me when driving in/through Canada.  It fits conveniently in my wallet, which you can't say the same about a Passport Book.  

My son didn't get his driver license until he was 17yo, so he was able to carry his Passport Card in his wallet as a form of official photo ID until he got his license, plus he can also use it to travel in/through Canada, which is about 25 miles from where he lives.  

If you have it and use it, it's a great little convenience.  

If you don't have it and don't have a need for it, there's no point in the expense.

Basically, it's like how some people are perfectly happy cruising in an inside room and eating in the MDR, and others will only cruise in a suite and eat in specialty restaurants.  If it meets your needs, more power to you, whichever you choose.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mom says said:

My $.02: for the purposes stated in the original post, it's just redundant if you already have a passport book and your DL with you. A govt issue photo ID is required along with your ship card when leaving/returning to the ship. In almost all cases a DL is suffcient- I've never experienced trouble with this in the ports we've visited in the Caribbean. In this case a passport card is superfluous. Of course it comes in handy in some of the other situations mentioned, but that wasn't what was originally asked.

Agreed. I don’t live in a border state so land crossings are not an issue for me. I do a bulk of my international traveling via flying so a passport book is essential. I feel fine about carrying my drivers license (which I already have) as ID in ports. So buying an additional card for just this purpose seems unnecessary.

49 minutes ago, brillohead said:

It fits conveniently in my wallet, which you can't say the same about a Passport Book.

Actually my regular wallet can hold my passport book.  And there are tons more.  But as you say, different strokes.

8 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Agreed. I don’t live in a border state so land crossings are not an issue for me. I do a bulk of my international traveling via flying so a passport book is essential. I feel fine about carrying my drivers license (which I already have) as ID in ports. So buying an additional card for just this purpose seems unnecessary.

Same for me.

If I lived in a border state, I would get a passport card.  And an Enhanced DL if available.

But since my international travel is by air or cruise ship, a passport book and DL is fine.

I got both, but only because I don't have a Real ID compliant license, so I can just carry the passport card. However, since I don't do a lot of border crossings, I probably would have stuck with just the book. I wouldn't just order a card.

15 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

When traveling ashore, I keep my passport in the ship's safe, and take a photocopy of my passport with me. Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance, for any feedback/ input. 

Many do the same...including my wife and I. It's fine...just that different people feel more comfortable doing different things. There's no absolute right or wrong thing to do when going ashore.