Elite Kids Weirdness

ceilidh1

On Royal right now with my mom and 2 kids. Myself and kids are all elite, mom is platinum. We have 2 rooms with myself and DD in one and mom and DS in the other. Both rooms got the mini bar set up, both kids got free internet minutes, both kids got black elite medallions. We have never had kid’s status recognized previously and not sure if it’s a glitch or a new thing with medallion class!

One interesting thing was that mom returned to her room on second night and found minibar had been switched to bottle water. She called room service to enquire since she hadn’t asked for the switch and was concerned they had switched out the wrong room. She was told they had to remove the alcohol since the elite member was a minor. They were very apologetic but mom was fine with it since she doesn’t drink anyway and wasn’t expecting anything.

In the past we were told that all kids got blue shipboard cards so that the servers would know that they were underage when ordering drinks at the bar.  Either Princess figured out that that was a silly way to tackle the issue, or the move toward "Ocean Ready" makes it easier for servers to know when a minor is at the bar.  Either way, it is nice to see this change.  Too late for us, as our daughter is now over 21.  But she would have enjoyed progressing her way from Blue to Gold to Ruby to Platinum. 

Actually, you can tell if a cruiser is under 21 by the absence of the letter A in the lower right-hand corner of the cruise card. Sometimes a blue card may mean that the person that the card belongs to is a friend or a family member of a Princess employee and the person can have more than enough  cruises to be Platinum or even Elite. You can even tell if a person is over 18 but still under the age of 21.

I don't know if this policy of showing the loyalty level of children is being phased in or what but I do know that as of this past weekend there were still children with blue cards and loyalty numbers the same as their parents and the color of the parents' cards were not blue. Maybe it's being tested on some ships and not on others. Who knows?!

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

I don't know if this policy of showing the loyalty level of children is being phased in or what but I do know that as of this past weekend there were still children with blue cards and loyalty numbers the same as their parents and the color of the parents' cards were not blue. Maybe it's being tested on some ships and not on others. Who knows?!

Tom

We were told on a webinar a few days ago that it was a brand new policy. So obviously it is a really, really new policy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

On Royal right now with my mom and 2 kids. Myself and kids are all elite, mom is platinum. We have 2 rooms with myself and DD in one and mom and DS in the other. Both rooms got the mini bar set up, both kids got free internet minutes, both kids got black elite medallions. We have never had kid’s status recognized previously and not sure if it’s a glitch or a new thing with medallion class!

One interesting thing was that mom returned to her room on second night and found minibar had been switched to bottle water. She called room service to enquire since she hadn’t asked for the switch and was concerned they had switched out the wrong room. She was told they had to remove the alcohol since the elite member was a minor. They were very apologetic but mom was fine with it since she doesn’t drink anyway and wasn’t expecting anything.

If the new water bottles is from the free set up.  You should be able to call and switch some or all out for soda, if they drink that.

6 hours ago, idahospud said:

Not a glitch with the kids. Princess now recognizes the kids' loyalty status no matter the age. 

When did this start?  My kids have never gotten anything, but our last cruise with them was in December.  Will need to stay on top of them with free internet minutes!  lol

40 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

When did this start?  My kids have never gotten anything, but our last cruise with them was in December.  Will need to stay on top of them with free internet minutes!  lol

Just now started. This week or last. 

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Just enjoy the cruise!

I am enjoying it, believe me! Just posting as an FYI. The only benefit really useful for the kids is internet but happy to have all the money I spent on them be recognized! Lol!

• Like 1

On our cruise last month my GD was excited that she got a ruby medallion. She was like "I thought I had to wait until I'm 18?. December when we sail she'll be platinum so at least she'll get some free internet. I was really surprised though that the shops let her use my medallion whenever she bought stuff she knows I get a discount and not to use hers.

12 hours ago, idahospud said:

Not a glitch with the kids. Princess now recognizes the kids' loyalty status no matter the age. 

Wow. That's definitely new and unexpected.

Wait, What?? My youngest is still under 18 and still got the blue card/medallion this summer even though she is Platinum. Are you saying that she will be getting a Platinum card/medallion on our cruise next summer?  She will still be under 18. 

21 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Wait, What?? My youngest is still under 18 and still got the blue card/medallion this summer even though she is Platinum. Are you saying that she will be getting a Platinum card/medallion on our cruise next summer?  She will still be under 18. 

Reas the responses. As noted, the new policy is maybe 2 weeks old, if that.

So yes - next summer, when it's a year old policy, tour daughter will receive her Platinum benefits  

• Like 1