Medallion Accessories

argenta01

11 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks...nothing else was available when ordering our OMs a couple of days ago.  Just tried it again & it still only shows the notebook & water bottle available for my cruise.

Thats weird. I just tried it too and all the offerings came up. Oh well not gonna happen anyway.

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Royal which is a medallion ship. Our medallions came with the usual white colored fabric lanyard with the Princess name on them. They were quite long, but that didn't seem to be a problem. In fact it came in handy. As we boarded and disembarked the ship we had to place the medallion on the scanner surface and the long length of the lanyard helped. I assume that at some point in time this type of contact scanning won't be necessary, but until then I really wonder how scanning would work if the medallion is being held in one of the optional gold or silver necklaces around a lady's neck. The chains appear very short making it a near impossibility to scan the medallion without taking it off.   

In my opinion  none of them are worth the money. I like to carry my Medallion in my pocket. So this is how I did it and everything you see in the photos is free complements from Princess.  Except the little black elite  sign around the medallion inside the plastic holder. My wife paid $2.50 on the ship. She thought I would like it 🙄.  

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

D83A0F9E-BD30-4421-8E91-10C70913FE34.jpeg

DA0AD621-9849-43C2-A64B-070D7E6F77DF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

We just got off the Royal which is a medallion ship. Our medallions came with the usual white colored fabric lanyard with the Princess name on them. They were quite long, but that didn't seem to be a problem. In fact it came in handy. As we boarded and disembarked the ship we had to place the medallion on the scanner surface and the long length of the lanyard helped. I assume that at some point in time this type of contact scanning won't be necessary, but until then I really wonder how scanning would work if the medallion is being held in one of the optional gold or silver necklaces around a lady's neck. The chains appear very short making it a near impossibility to scan the medallion without taking it off.   

I hope your right about not having to place the Medallion surface in the future. It really defeats the advantage of using the Medallion leaving & returning to the ship. 

Edited by MissP22

6 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So the square card holder is free? Does it come with the clear plastic holder as well? Landyard?  TIA

Yes, free with a lanyard. It looks just like the ones for sale in posting #7 for $3, except the inside paper insert is a generic blue color. The plastic holder is about the size of a cruise card and easily fits in a pocket, can be carried on a lanyard or the medallion can be removed and carried in another holder or by itself. The color of the medallion matches your Captain's Circle level.The medallion is magnetic, so I think you have to keep it away from credit cards.

• Like 1

We took our plastic holder and medallion off the lanyard and put them in our pockets we didnt want the lanyards hanging round our neck all day long so were never used. Surprised at how many left their medallions on their lanyards and left them hanging around there necks even when walking around in ports, a good sign for pick pockets that you are a tourist off a cruise ship.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Surprised at how many left their medallions on their lanyards and left them hanging around there necks even when walking around in ports, a good sign for pick pockets that you are a tourist off a cruise ship.

We saw same thing all the time on our Baltic cruise this summer.

17 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thats good to know.

I remember someone posting on CC about these working good.

worked very well for us on the CB ... had to take it out of clip for something .. don't remember what exactly .. mine ended up in my pocket sometimes ...

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

We took our plastic holder and medallion off the lanyard and put them in our pockets we didnt want the lanyards hanging round our neck all day long so were never used. Surprised at how many left their medallions on their lanyards and left them hanging around there necks even when walking around in ports, a good sign for pick pockets that you are a tourist off a cruise ship.

Surely you're kidding. 

They can spot you off a mile away lanyard or not. LOL 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bwana Tom said:

It seems strange that the medallion will unlock your door before you're even standing in front of it, but you have to "tap" the screen with it to leave the ship.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

It seems strange that the medallion will unlock your door before you're even standing in front of it, but you have to "tap" the screen with it to leave the ship.

This might explain why "tapping" the screen might be necessary. What if you are coming back on the ship and walk close enough to the security person  checking me off the ship and you are close enough to that scanner to register on it and be that would be close enough to simultaneously re-mark you as going back off the ship as it marks me as going off the ship also. You would show up as being back off the ship while actually you were back on. I have no idea as to whether that is possible or not, but that might be a reason that contact between the scanner and the medallion might be requirement.  I don't know whether contact is or is not required but that situation just popped into my mind as I read the scenario in the message.

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Ha! They don't need to see a Medallion to know you are a tourist.  😂

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

In my opinion  none of them are worth the money. I like to carry my Medallion in my pocket. So this is how I did it and everything you see in the photos is free complements from Princess.  Except the little black elite  sign around the medallion inside the plastic holder. My wife paid $2.50 on the ship. She thought I would like it 🙄.  

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

D83A0F9E-BD30-4421-8E91-10C70913FE34.jpeg

DA0AD621-9849-43C2-A64B-070D7E6F77DF.jpeg

Where did you get that? I want one!!!

On 8/31/2019 at 4:34 PM, Astro Flyer said:

We bought these aftermarket Fitbit clips on Amazon...four for $13 or two for $10...which worked well for us.

D6861026-5616-40B4-9BE8-B424A407DD16.jpeg

I used these clips on my most recent cruise, and my getting back to the ship was usually slightly delayed because the local security officers at each port could not see my name sailing date, so they'd have to take the medallion out of the case. I eventually gave up and just carried the medallion around in my pocket.

IMG_4463.JPG.e83e67845fc66ef882e1004f8cebace9.JPG

On 8/31/2019 at 2:33 PM, pms4104 said:

Happily, I have pockets to hold my OM

Thats exactly how we carry ours as well!  We received a complimentary lanyard  and clear holder for the Medallions when we took our first Medallion cruise but we chose not to use them.  They were very easy to carry in our pockets.

Edited by Shelly97060

8 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I used these clips on my most recent cruise, and my getting back to the ship was usually slightly delayed because the local security officers at each port could not see my name sailing date, so they'd have to take the medallion out of the case.

If you are on a B2B or even a B2B2B, the date will be from the first segment.

So if you show the original boarding date while on a 2nd or 3rd segment, how does port security know you are on the current cruise?

6 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

... and here's another way to go

NCL holder.jpg

I didn't realize NCL was using something similar to the Medallion.

What do they call their's? I'm surprised it fits. 

Did their system work any differently/better/worse? 

6 hours ago, caribill said:

If you are on a B2B or even a B2B2B, the date will be from the first segment.

So if you show the original boarding date while on a 2nd or 3rd segment, how does port security know you are on the current cruise?

I think they were interested in seeing that the name on the medallion matched your ID more than anything. It varied at the different ports. Some insisted that the see the printing on the medallion, others just wanted to see that you had a medallion. Again, this was port security, not Princess staff.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:27 PM, Astro Flyer said:

8FE25571-3EB3-40C3-BA1F-E4BC40A6CDA6.jpeg

0DC3BE99-BB7C-4474-9921-24DAE3B0F8C1.jpeg

812BAF0C-285A-4A1D-915B-F4787422073D.jpeg

324C9AA8-AD09-40F6-A532-5B532772E98A.jpeg

FE91FD51-7030-4FB9-8B42-50A94B4B3B6A.jpeg

Thank you Astro Flyer.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I have lots of extra OBC for the upcoming cruise.  I thought if there was something nice I would get it.  I agree, these prices look crazy for what it is.  I think we will go with the Amazon FitBit holders.  For less money we can get wristbands and pocket clips!  If I want a lanyard I'll use a VB one I have. 😊

16 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I didn't realize NCL was using something similar to the Medallion.

What do they call their's? I'm surprised it fits. 

Did their system work any differently/better/worse? 

Hi MissP22 - 

As far as I know, NCL still doesn't have a similar system. That's my Princess medallion (turned around for privacy), the holder for which I altered by covering the Princess design with a downloaded and printed logo from a different company. That was just me being a smart aleck in response to (what I consider to be) their cheesy and overpriced accessory offerings. Sorry 😉

After wasting too much of my life making that and also getting both a fitbit bracelet and clip, I realize that I'll quite probably just carry the bare medallion like a quarter in my pocket. I'll see in a another week anyway!