Malware in cruisecritic emails?

• Administrators

We can block anything, but we need the URL. I know that you won't want to click on that ad, so these are very hard to ferret out.  They aren't something we are serving up, but I will still have someone look into this.

Edited to add:  I actually DO see the url on the screenshot so I'll see if it can be blocked.

Laura

18 hours ago, LauraS said:

We can block anything, but we need the URL. I know that you won't want to click on that ad, so these are very hard to ferret out.  They aren't something we are serving up, but I will still have someone look into this.

Edited to add:  I actually DO see the url on the screenshot so I'll see if it can be blocked.

Laura

Thanks Laura.

The problem is still happening today, and, as before, only when I am on Cruise Critic. 

38 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Laura.

The problem is still happening today, and, as before, only when I am on Cruise Critic. 

Apple released updates for the phone and iPad a couple days ago. If your device has not notified you yet, check for the update and push it through. 

I did this, plus installed the content blocker, and it hasn’t raised its ugly head since doing that.  I guess whatever works. I have fingers crossed it will not happen again. 

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I did this, plus installed the content blocker, and it hasn’t raised its ugly head since doing that.  I guess whatever works. I have fingers crossed it will not happen again. 

I've installed Ad Guard.   Keeping my fingers crossed as well.

Edited by Turtles06

2 minutes ago, LauraS said:

I've had the url blocked, but according to our adops team we aren't running Google ads on mobile.  Hope it helps!

Thanks Laura, I appreciate your efforts to fix the problem.  (I am no expert here, so I'm not sure what Google Ads has to do with the problem, as most folks using iOS devices don't use Google as their browser, we use Safari.)    

In any event, as I noted in my comment that I posted just as you were posting, I've installed the content blocker Ad Guard.    Thanks.

On IOS devices, the browser is automatically set to Safari, and there is no way to default to other browsers.  Therefore, if you click on the link in an email to take you to the post, it always opens in Safari.

I also do not know what Google ads has to do with it.

Google ads is the provider. There are references in the web pages that pull links from Google Ads to display the ads.

Not sure who the content provider is, but there are definitely ads on mobile devices. Whatever provides those ads must have malware injected into it.

• Like 1

For the second time (different days) when I clicked edit to edit one of my posts I had a pop-up appear telling me congratulations that I had won something from Amazon.   No, I did not click on it.  Is anyone else getting this?  It has only happened to me while on the Princess boards on Cruise Critic.  Anyone?  Admin??

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

I have gotten it on and off for months ONLY when using Chrome browser ... no prob when using Opera kr Duck Duck Go ... the popup told me I had won either $1000 or a new Samsung phone ... and only when on CC boards

Edited by pms4104

On 11/27/2019 at 10:26 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

For the second time (different days) when I clicked edit to edit one of my posts I had a pop-up appear telling me congratulations that I had won something from Amazon.   No, I did not click on it.  Is anyone else getting this?  It has only happened to me while on the Princess boards on Cruise Critic.  Anyone?  Admin??

There's a discussion about this problem on this thread, here in the Need Help forum:

I had the same phony/spam/malware pop up constantly last week when I accessed Cruise Critic on my iPhone and iPad.  (And it only appeared when I was on Cruise Critic.)  And yes, you were right not to click on that "ad" or hit the "OK to confirm."  It is not legitimate.

For me, the only temporary "fix" I could find was to clear all my cookies in Safari.  Unless I did that, the phony ad would pop up again.  But that was only temporary, and eventually the phony ad would return.   So as recommended by others, I installed the content blocker Ad Guard on my devices (it's a free app in the Apple Store) and, knock wood, I haven't had the problem since. 

@CC Help Michell Thank you for moving the thread started November 27, 2019 titled Pop up spam/virus? to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. The thread has now been merged into the existing thread in this forum started November 19, 2019 titled Malware in cruisecritic emails where @LauraS and @CC Help Jenn are aware of the situation.

Edited by Host Kat
Typo
  • Like 1