Huge price increases

lovescarborough

On cyber Monday last year, We booked a 12 night Caribbean cruise on Silhouette for March 2020.  We booked an Aqua class 1 with two perks for $5863 USD including taxes, fees and port charges.
Today an AQ 1 for this cruise is over $12,000 USD with 2 perks.  Who in their right mind would pay that price for Aqua class?

We love the X product but I refuse to pay their current prices for suites. Tried NCL last month on the Bliss in the Haven. Nice but not worth the price that we paid. No more RCI due to their non refundable suite deposits. We’re trying the new MSC Grandiosa in the spring out of Barcelona. The price in the Yacht Club was much less than what X wanted for an equivalent Sky suite. As long as X continues to fill their ships the prices will stand but I will not give in to their current prices. 

• Like 1

Black Friday specials.    What a joke.  I checked all of my cruises and they are almost double in the cost.

X is preying in the rookies that don’t know any better and that is the target market.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Lots of folks on here just love hating on Celebrity, and hating to love it at the same time. When I got my Black Friday Deals at Lowes and Walmart today, I didn't go outside Home Depot and Target to complain about wanting their deals but at the cheaper price!

Most peeps are having a harder time with the Celebrity breakup than the company itself, making LLP the bad___ the Queen Bee.

We had thought Celebrity prices were pretty high too and avoided making a booking (we are in the US).  But Mrs Ldubs has been watching and recently noticed they seem to be coming down to a more reasonable level.  Looks like the booking happened today.  Hopefully we will continue to see prices back to "normal" sane levels, if such a thing exists.   

11 hours ago, miched said:

Black Friday specials.    What a joke.  I checked all of my cruises and they are almost double in the cost.

X is preying in the rookies that don’t know any better and that is the target market.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

the one I’ve had my eye on (apex June 20) has dropped about $500 recently.

28 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

“Better” for the customer or for Celebrity

The new perks plan is certainly not for the customer in my view. Add on the drinks package which was just about always included in the UK and every cruise has seen a big increase in cost.

• Like 1

Folks ~ remember that you can keep an eye on your cruise pricing as the months go by and if the price goes down, ask your travel agent to "re-price" it for you.  I've done that several times this year already and been able to save quite a bit.  So I say be diligent and watch the promotional emails you get and start checking prices regularly up until final payment.  They won't change your pricing after you make final payment but up until then, if you find a lower price, it is normally honored.....and we've always kept our same cabin.

16 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Bingo !

They can make soooo much more from newbies and those that can't be bothered to check .

Add to that these 2 groups spend much more on board and you have all the explanation you need for why X isn't pricing to make existing customers happy . Finally RCI made a corporate decision a while ago to NOT try to sell out at the expense of keeping up their margins . Perfectly understandable  from their perspective . 

On 11/26/2019 at 8:53 AM, miched said:

We were on the Equinox in Oct and it would rank at the bottom of over 40 cruises that we have been on.   That cruise was lacking something.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We were on the Equinox sailing of November 16, and my wife got food poisoning/norovirus.  It was our first cruise on Celebrity and probably our last as a result. 

54 minutes ago, homeatlast said:

We were on the Equinox sailing of November 16, and my wife got food poisoning/norovirus.  It was our first cruise on Celebrity and probably our last as a result. 

We were on the Equinox in September, couple of problems with damaged luggage and our room. MDR was a one time and never again experience it was so bad but other than that we loved the ship and cruise. Great staff and other than the MDR great service from everyone. Spotlessly clean although sadly yet again many passengers were handling food without using the hand sanitisers first which is where cruise ships end up with large numbers of people going down with norovirus. Getting actual food poisoning on a cruise shop is not easy given they food standards far better than 99% of food establishments on land. I’ve had norovirus on a Princess cruise and it’s certainly a horrible experience.

It is obvious that cruise pricing, in general, is working its way north of some peoples comfort zones. In particular, when that favorite cruise line seems to no longer care about the conveyance of its passengers at a reasonable price. Takes a lot of $$$$ to operate a ship, never mind a fleet. So, it behooves us to determine if $$ or $$$ is the max we can spend to satisfy our desire, our pocketbook and our psyche.    

Been cruising for almost 40 years, the last five years with Celebrity. Currently have five X cruises planned through April 2021. I have been fortunate to get some great deals and price reductions since I generally book far in advance. So, 'til now at least, I have not been put off by X's pricing. It is just a matter of combining a thoughtful approach with the due diligence to remain alert and involved with the process (see Host Anne post #59). Most definitely some luck involved as well.

Examples of excellent cruise deals, in my mind only perhaps, are as follows.

- January 20, 2020 - Reflection 11 night Caribbean, ABC's plus Cartagena and Grand Cayman. Aqua with "BEST" 4 perks, total drive out price $4250.00 for two.

- April 19, 2021- Silhouette 11 night Portugal, Spain and France, great itinerary. Veranda cabin with "BEST" 4 perks, total drive out price $5320.00 for two. The three cruises in between are also priced reasonably.

I do not like to see what X has done with deposits and cancellations / changes made to voyages and staterooms. I feel that an additional $100.00pp service fee for non-refundable deposit bookings is rather unfair and very unreasonable. A perfect example of passenger pilfering.  

43 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

It is obvious that cruise pricing, in general, is working its way north of some peoples comfort zones. In particular, when that favorite cruise line seems to no longer care about the conveyance of its passengers at a reasonable price. Takes a lot of $$$$ to operate a ship, never mind a fleet. So, it behooves us to determine if $$ or $$$ is the max we can spend to satisfy our desire, our pocketbook and our psyche.    

Been cruising for almost 40 years, the last five years with Celebrity. Currently have five X cruises planned through April 2021. I have been fortunate to get some great deals and price reductions since I generally book far in advance. So, 'til now at least, I have not been put off by X's pricing. It is just a matter of combining a thoughtful approach with the due diligence to remain alert and involved with the process (see Host Anne post #59). Most definitely some luck involved as well.

- January 20, 2020 - Reflection 11 night Caribbean, ABC's plus Cartagena and Grand Cayman. Aqua with "BEST" 4 perks, total drive out price $4250.00 for two.

- April 19, 2021- Silhouette 11 night Portugal, Spain and France, great itinerary. Veranda cabin with "BEST" 4 perks, total drive out price $5320.00 for two. The three cruises in between are also priced reasonably.

I do not like to see what X has done with deposits and cancellations / changes made to voyages and staterooms. I feel that an additional $100.00pp service fee for non-refundable deposit bookings is rather unfair and very unreasonable. A perfect example of passenger pilfering.  

Everybody has a different definition of what a excellent deal is to them. Those two you cited don't even qualify as an acceptable deal to us. To each his own.

Our last excellent deal was in October, 14 day Caribbean on MSC Seaside in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite for $5,300 per couple that included every perk except prepaid gratuities. $12.50 p.p. per day came to $350 but $300 of that was covered by the $300 obc the t.a. gave us. This was the best cruise, out of 46, that we've ever taken with 24 of them being on Celebrity.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

.......Our last excellent deal was in October, 14 day Caribbean on MSC Seaside in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite for $5,300 

That must be a distance memory, YC prices have risen significantly to double what you quoted.  Agree yacht club is a great experience but a shame that the food is not up to much.

Edited by mickey89

All of this just proves "opportunity cost," along with ship, itinerary, length and many other factors.  My best price, IMHO, was when I upgraded from a concierge cabin, at a very inexpensive price in Europe to an S1 corner aft suite for a total of $300 for the two of us.  However, now I really, really enjoy suite life!  I guess Celebrity won that one, along with all the suites I have booked since then.  Furthermore, I do book SV's too, as the suite prices are quite substantial, especially in Europe...then, you have to get more expensive airfare if you want to fly biz class...My last S1 suite in Europe/Greece for 12 days was 7,400 for two people, with all four perks...do not think I will see that again, but one can hope!  It was before Edge was launched.  Now, taking a Caribbean cruise, Alaskan or something close to me in the West, makes a lot of sense...no pun intended!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Prices tends to go up when there is little competition (and tons of demand).   Now, you really have just three companies: Carnival, RCL, and NCL - and all their brands segmented by age, wealth, and so on.  

Even with MSC, it's still an oligopoly. 

And X probably wants to make money on that $500 million renovation somewhere. 

30 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

All of this just proves "opportunity cost," along with ship, itinerary, length and many other factors.  My best price, IMHO, was when I upgraded from a concierge cabin, at a very inexpensive price in Europe to an S1 corner aft suite for a total of $300 for the two of us.  However, now I really, really enjoy suite life!  I guess Celebrity won that one, along with all the suites I have booked since then.  Furthermore, I do book SV's too, as the suite prices are quite substantial, especially in Europe...then, you have to get more expensive airfare if you want to fly biz class...My last S1 suite in Europe/Greece for 12 days was 7,400 for two people, with all four perks...do not think I will see that again, but one can hope!  It was before Edge was launched.  Now, taking a Caribbean cruise, Alaskan or something close to me in the West, makes a lot of sense...no pun intended!

That is a great price for Europe/Greece suite!

21 minutes ago, intr3pid said:

Prices tends to go up when there is little competition (and tons of demand).   Now, you really have just three companies: Carnival, RCL, and NCL - and all their brands segmented by age, wealth, and so on.  

Even with MSC, it's still an oligopoly. 

And X probably wants to make money on that $500 million renovation somewhere. 

They just needed to dry dock and refurbish the S class ships.  Not pay $500 million for the Edge/Apex.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I think we have very different opinions of “deals”. I’m probably jaded by what I can get on a land trip, but what you posted are no deals. 

7 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I think that your are right.  I book two years in advance and I have not seen the price increases.

However when I try to upgrade my cabin to something better I notice that the prices jump significantly!  Blame it on the very good USA economy.

Book early or pay higher prices...

Let the good times roll...

Edited by NMTraveller

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Book early or pay higher prices..

It depends on the way way you look at things. I wouldn’t say paying over $1000pp more for a cabin when prices are released is very good value e.g. Equinox Christmas sailing in a balcony started at $2000pp for 7 nights, it’s now down to $899pp.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Personally I don’t see those as “excellent deals”. 

3 hours ago, villauk said:

It depends on the way way you look at things. I wouldn’t say paying over $1000pp more for a cabin when prices are released is very good value e.g. Equinox Christmas sailing in a balcony started at $2000pp for 7 nights, it’s now down to $899pp.

...and the 2 Summit cruises in Aqua I booked well over a year ago for this coming Feb were $7,176 when I booked.  Now, after final payment, they would cost you $12,647 with less obc.  

Certainly agree with those folks who feel that what I consider a "DEAL" is not.....necessarily. After all, the "I"ll show you mine if you show me yours" game proves that all deals are not created equal. But that's okay. What is included in my deal portfolio works for me, maybe not for you. Nothing wrong or right here, just differences of opinion on what constitutes value versus expenditure. I'm happy for everyone who is lucky enough to save some hard-earned money on a much-deserved vacation, land or sea. At the end of the day, if we're feeling good inside, does it really matter what we spent?

Okay, get out there and Let's Make A Deal.