Do you book directly with the cruise line?

Frostecat

One of the things I've realized with "TA perks" is simple economics. For a $1000 cruise, the TA generally isn't making enough to give away much. For a $5,000 cruise, they want that business. They will throw out OBC, wine, gratuities, etc because I assume those things cost less than an actual discount, yet still provide an "equal value". When you are making $500 vs $100, the game is different.

It's like saying you got a $10k hot tub for free with the purchase of your car. Everyone is like wow, where is this dealer? Oh, you bought a Maserati? I just bought a Corolla.

Most of my cruises are off peak season, in an interior, and overall, relatively inexpensive. The best offer I have gotten from a TA yet was an extra $25 gc. I book mine through my credit card points, which pays for the cruises in full. I do find it annoying that I don't have as much "control". Not that I need to change much, but when I do, it is a hassle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, you may want to "read the answers above."

Sure, a PCC/CVP can make sure that every possible perk offered by a cruise line for your particular cruise is on your account. But, so can any good TA, especially one who is a top seller for that line. "Quiet" sales? Yes, that top selling TA has access as well. 

BUT, what a TA has that a PCC/CVP doesn't have is the ability to share their commission. And if your "share" (in the form of refundable SBC or a rebate) amounts to 5-10% of the commissionable fare, that can be a healthy "chunk o' change," particularly on longer "expensive" itineraries.

I hope that you realize it is possible to initially book with a cruise line and then transfer to a TA within the allowable time window. We do this with onboard bookings that we then shop around to our several favorite TAs who do share commissions.

Absolutely correct.  A reservation with my TA includes all the perks offered by the cruise line plus she adds 8-10% discount or the same in OBC (my call for which).  No extra fees, only those charged by the cruise lines.  I did use a Princess PCC/CVP until I found this TA.  The Princess PCC/CVP couldn't match what the TA could.

One of the nice things about booking with a TA is that TA's can handle bookings with most cruise lines.  Once I had to change two bookings from one cruise line to two other cruise lines.  Instead of making three phone calls, it only took one.  Saved a bunch of time on the phone.  And, yes, no cancellation fees and discounts on the two new cruises.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:54 AM, Joebucks said:

One of the things I've realized with "TA perks" is simple economics. For a $1000 cruise, the TA generally isn't making enough to give away much. For a $5,000 cruise, they want that business. They will throw out OBC, wine, gratuities, etc because I assume those things cost less than an actual discount, yet still provide an "equal value". When you are making $500 vs $100, the game is different.

My TA provides OBC.  The amount is directly related to the final cruise fare.  So if the cruise fare goes down, I get that savings, but I get less OBC. 🙂

45 minutes ago, SRF said:

My TA provides OBC.  The amount is directly related to the final cruise fare.  So if the cruise fare goes down, I get that savings, but I get less OBC. 🙂

That sounds like a great TA relationship.

I know I have been on many different "TA websites" that offer additional perks. They almost never give those out on the cheapest options. Whereas the balconies and suites they will give out big OBC. I would bet it may vary by line too.

38 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I know I have been on many different "TA websites" that offer additional perks. They almost never give those out on the cheapest options. Whereas the balconies and suites they will give out big OBC. I would bet it may vary by line too.

I know my TA reduces fares by a certain percentage.  Obviously the more expensive cabin booked, the larger the fare reduction.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

That sounds like a great TA relationship.

Not only might all sorts of perks vary between lines and/or between TAs (for the same exact cruise). Some cruise lines pay TAs commissions on a sliding scale depending on annual volume of that TA's bookings with them. And that can translate to a higher amount of commission sharing (either as refundable SBC or rebate).

That's why, if you have a preferred cruise line, you should do the research involved in identifying their top selling TAs.

I'm saving much more than 8-10 percent on my upcoming cruise. I'm sailing solo, and the travel agency I booked through had a great deal on the single supplement, while Princess was showing the price as double. I'm not sure why Princess offers these deals through agencies that it doesn't always offer itself. On the other hand, Princess did show no single supplement for the Alaskan cruises I took this summer--but the rate I booked through a TA was even better.

Originally we utilized a brick and mortar travel agent, then an online cruise-focused website. We constantly monitor for the best deals. I recently compared a deal that I put together myself on NCL's site to a brick and mortar TA, and the price was the same. Probably all comes down to timing, specials, etc. NCL site was painless and I did it from the comfort of my couch.

Every one has different priorities when planning travel.  For us, we care about what cabin, what location, generally, find booking early and direct with the cruise line maximizes we get what we want.  This goes not for just the cruise, but air and hotels as well.    We buy an annual travel insurance package directly with Travel Guard independent of any specific trip.    The price of the cruise is not the only consideration.    We book early re fare if we see a good deal.  Early on we liked to deal with a brick and mortar agent, very few around anywhere where we live, so now handle our selves.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Every one has different priorities when planning travel.  For us, we care about what cabin, what location, generally, find booking early and direct with the cruise line maximizes we get what we want.  This goes not for just the cruise, but air and hotels as well.    We buy an annual travel insurance package directly with Travel Guard independent of any specific trip.    The price of the cruise is not the only consideration.    We book early re fare if we see a good deal.  Early on we liked to deal with a brick and mortar agent, very few around anywhere where we live, so now handle our selves.  

Mrs Ldubs has lately been using on-line TA's for hotels and some cruise bookings.  I do the air bookings and book directly with the airline for exactly the same reason as you.  Seat selection is a top priority for me (actually a deal breaker).  I just can't give it up.  Lol.  

Agree, seat selection is a top priority for flights for us too.   Ref hotels:  one thing I learned early on no matter whether I booked directly or thru a TA, if the hotel room rate decreased I could call the hotel and get the lower rate.    I always watch hotel rates as I often book those early too because for some destinations that insures I have the hotel location I want.  

• Thanks 1

I have found, my TA can book things before they become available to the general public on the web site.  We were looking at booking a July 2020 cruise, so contacted our TA with the particulars, and had our confirmed booking, for the exact cabin we wanted, at least 3 days before anyone on CC could book that cruise directly.

And my TA monitors for price drops, and gets them without any work on my part.

As for airline and seat selection, it doesn't matter who makes the reservation, once you get the booking number, you can go online and select your seats.  For my work travel, I am required to book through our TA.  You can request window or aisle from them.

Once I get the booking number, I go to the airline site and check my seat assignment and change it, if needed.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:06 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though it may not be important/possible/whatever for non-US folks to have this requirement, know that I would never book a cruise with a TA who is not registered as a "seller of travel" in the State of California. 

I've never heard of that before.  How does booking with a registered "seller of travel" provide an advantage"?

21 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've never heard of that before.  How does booking with a registered "seller of travel" provide an advantage"?

Having that requirement (I'm pretty sure Florida also requires TAs to register there) gives you an agency to complain to if you have a problem (even if you don't live in that state). And that registration is either with the Secretary of State or Dept. of Consumer Affairs (can't remember). Of course, losing that registration privilege because of illegal or less than ethical practices (or not registering and then selling travel in the state, e.g., to a resident of that state over the Internet) could cause the company in question its ability to have a lot of future business.

We've booked our last 4 cruises with an online TA that also has membership shopping locations across North America and other countries. They often offer perks that the cruise lines aren't offering or are in addition to the cruise line perks and the prices are the same as if you booked direct. They have a toll free line to call if you have any issues.

We've also used them for car rentals and they are cheaper than going directly to the car rental agencies even if you have a membership.

We've never been disappointed.

Over 50 cruises, maybe 60% booked directly with a cruise line, other 40% with various different on line TA's.  Depends on what I want out of the purchase, sometimes the TA's offer just a bit more in OBC or things like free gratuities or extra frequent flyer miles.

It pays to shop around and compare pricing and add-ons.  

Only once.  Called direct to RCI in Australia for a late booking 21 day Oz cruise.  

They were 30 percent less than the best quote that our NA on line TA was able to provide.

Our on line TA gives us great service, good pricing, and unbiased feedback on ships/cruiselines.

Edited by iancal

The original inquiry made by @Frostecat has been answered. And now that this thread has had numerous hijacking and off-topic posts removed, this thread is closed.

Happy sails to all,

Host Kat emo32.gif