Pacific Princess - Bathroom Problem/Crew NOT Helpful

Ringlet

Hello fellow cruise critics,

I am currently on the Pacific Princess Xmas/New Year's cruise and it has been intensely frustrating!  If any of you are thinking of booking a cruise on what used to be our favorite ship, I should warn you: think twice.  For the fourth time in 5 days the toilet in our cabin has been rendered unusable, and I'm at the limit of my patience.  This is the first time I've ever felt the need to post while on a ship, but I honestly don't know what else to do.  We are in cabin 6076.  I've gone to the passenger service desk, called the maintenance people, talked with the steward, and Princess has told me that since the toilets are all on one line that a blockage elsewhere will cause this.  BUT they have also said that the trouble is only with our cabin and said we must be putting items in the toilet that shouldn't be flushed.  I am near tears at this point - this is my 21st cruise, the last several cruises being with Princess and in fact the last cruise before this one was ON this same ship.  Believe me when I say that I know how to use a cruise ship toilet, and what is happening now is INSANE.  We have not put anything in the toilet other than what should be allowed, and the only thing the crew can think to do is lecture us on what not to do!!  It is so bad that I even offered to have a camera in our bathroom so that they have proof we're not doing wacky toilet things (as I mentioned, I'm at the limit of my patience here, but it is hard to think straight when you've paid a good chunk of money for a vacation and can't use the cabin toilet!).  Anyway, at least I have the 250 free internet minutes for being platinum and can vent to my fellow cruise critic members.  It won't solve the current problem, but perhaps my blood pressure will go down a notch or two.

To sum up:  Pacific Princess is REALLY dropping the ball here, and if I can do nothing about it, at least I can tell the internet that the level of service on this ship when one has what a consider a pretty big problem is ABYSMAL.  And I pray no one else should ever go through what we are going through now. 

And with that, I must go find a toilet to use that is somewhere other than the cabin we are in.

- ringlet

• Like 3

It's probably not likely, but did you ask if there is an empty cabin you can move to.  Last year we were on the island princess for 7 days and the shower stall kept over flowing they tried to fix it but we're not successful a lot of extra work for our steward drying up every day.

We had the exact same thing happened to us on the celebrity infinity. Five days out of seven we could not use the restroom in our cabin. Unbelievable.

Write a nice letter to corporate explaining everything and be detailed. Make sure you mention that you were on a Christmas/New Year’s cruise which definitely is more expensive than a non-holiday cruise. Explain that your cruise was ruined if that’s how you feel.  See what they can do for you. 

I’m sorry that you are going through this. It’s not pleasant. 

Have had a blocked toilet, twice.  Once on a CMV cruise fixed within 30 mins of notifying front desk.  Second time on MSC, took 60 mins for maintenance staff to arrive but fixed straight away.  Would have front desk on speed dial, I feel for you this must be so frustrating.

Politely ask to speak to the hotel general manager. Calmly explain that that your toilet has been inoperable for 4 out of the 5 days, and that the staff insists it's something you're doing wrong. Ask for his assistance in either correcting the problem or relocating you to another cabin. Do not wait to complain to corporate after you disembark.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Politely ask to speak to the hotel general manager. Calmly explain that that your toilet has been inoperable for 4 out of the 5 days, and that the staff insists it's something you're doing wrong. Ask for his assistance in either correcting the problem or relocating you to another cabin. Do not wait to complain to corporate after you disembark.

I agree with post.  But, you will have to jump through several hoops to reach the Hotel General Manager.  Passenger Service agent will take your name.  Give it to his/her manager who will want to speak to you (screen your).  Be insistent.  Use the broken record technique.  "I've spoken to.....I now need to escalate this to the Hotel General Manager.  Please make an appointment for me."  

Do not wait until you get off the ship.  Document all discussions.  Take someone with you when you sit with the General Manager and script the conversation.  

Been there, done that.  

• Like 1

Hi,

IMO, you have to take names and times for this and follow up every 2 -3 hours and leave a short polite note (keep a copy) with the hotel manager Also, ask for what you think is fair compensation on this cruise Don’t wait

Best, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

And if the hotel general manager cannot get the problem solved ask (demand if necessary but nicely) that passenger services open up a ticket with headquarters customer service.  That gives HQ a heads up and may facilitate your future correspondence.  It certainly did with us the only time we need to elevate an issue and, in fact, it was the guest services manager that offered to open the ticket.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I agree with post.  But, you will have to jump through several hoops to reach the Hotel General Manager.  Passenger Service agent will take your name.  Give it to his/her manager who will want to speak to you (screen your).  Be insistent.  Use the broken record technique.  "I've spoken to.....I now need to escalate this to the Hotel General Manager.  Please make an appointment for me."  

Do not wait until you get off the ship.  Document all discussions.  Take someone with you when you sit with the General Manager and script the conversation.  

Been there, done that.  

You will not have to do through several hoops.  The Pacific is not your typical a Princess ship.  You will likely see the HGM walking about multiple times per day. 

• Like 1

Just now, tcdcruiser said:

You will not have to do through several hoops.  The Pacific is not your typical aPrincess ship.  You will likely see the HGM walking about multiple times per day.  Just ask, if your are lucky Karen is aboard, she is great  

7 hours ago, Ringlet said:

Hello fellow cruise critics,

I am currently on the Pacific Princess Xmas/New Year's cruise and it has been intensely frustrating!  If any of you are thinking of booking a cruise on what used to be our favorite ship, I should warn you: think twice.  For the fourth time in 5 days the toilet in our cabin has been rendered unusable, and I'm at the limit of my patience.  This is the first time I've ever felt the need to post while on a ship, but I honestly don't know what else to do.  We are in cabin 6076.  I've gone to the passenger service desk, called the maintenance people, talked with the steward, and Princess has told me that since the toilets are all on one line that a blockage elsewhere will cause this.  BUT they have also said that the trouble is only with our cabin and said we must be putting items in the toilet that shouldn't be flushed.  I am near tears at this point - this is my 21st cruise, the last several cruises being with Princess and in fact the last cruise before this one was ON this same ship.  Believe me when I say that I know how to use a cruise ship toilet, and what is happening now is INSANE.  We have not put anything in the toilet other than what should be allowed, and the only thing the crew can think to do is lecture us on what not to do!!  It is so bad that I even offered to have a camera in our bathroom so that they have proof we're not doing wacky toilet things (as I mentioned, I'm at the limit of my patience here, but it is hard to think straight when you've paid a good chunk of money for a vacation and can't use the cabin toilet!).  Anyway, at least I have the 250 free internet minutes for being platinum and can vent to my fellow cruise critic members.  It won't solve the current problem, but perhaps my blood pressure will go down a notch or two.

To sum up:  Pacific Princess is REALLY dropping the ball here, and if I can do nothing about it, at least I can tell the internet that the level of service on this ship when one has what a consider a pretty big problem is ABYSMAL.  And I pray no one else should ever go through what we are going through now. 

And with that, I must go find a toilet to use that is somewhere other than the cabin we are in.

- ringlet

Post this on FB!  That will light a fire under someones..........

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

You will not have to do through several hoops.  The Pacific is not your typical aPrincess ship.  You will likely see the HGM walking about multiple times per day.  Just ask, if your are lucky Karen is aboard, she is great  

Apparently not.

5 days worth of toilet issues??  

No excuse.

7 hours ago, Ringlet said:

"BUT they have also said that the trouble is only with our cabin and said we must be putting items in the toilet that shouldn't be flushed."

"Believe me when I say that I know how to use a cruise ship toilet, and what is happening now is INSANE.  We have not put anything in the toilet other than what should be allowed, and the only thing the crew can think to do is lecture us on what not to do!! "

Hi Ringlet - I feel for you. I just want to clarify you say other than what "should be" allowed. The only things to go in the commode are #1, #2, vomit and the ship provided toilet paper. Are those the only things you are putting in the toilet? I am just confused by your use of "should be".

Edited by JennyB1977

Have they actually looked in the pipe for a blockage?

I reported a blocked toilet on the Star, was told that we didn't need to be present and that they could fix it from outside.

I watched the Maintenance guy fish a baby wipe out that was causing the blockage. Was told that this section of pipe served 3 penthouse suites. It wasn't us, so I asked our room steward to gently talk to the passengers in the suites on both sides of us.

Hope you get it resolved.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Have had a blocked toilet, twice.  Once on a CMV cruise fixed within 30 mins of notifying front desk.  Second time on MSC, took 60 mins for maintenance staff to arrive but fixed straight away.  Would have front desk on speed dial, I feel for you this must be so frustrating.

I have had the problem as I am sure many have. People toss in it whatever and stop up the system. Sometimes it takes them many tries before they can actually find the blockage. Any problems I have, I never call. Always go to the desk and explain the problem. Always any problems are fixed. Once it kept overflowing and would not stop running. The got there fast. Fixed it and the steward was in there cleaning it all up. Nothing nasty, just a lot of water. Great there is a drain on the floor. Nothing came in the cabin.

I was on a cruiseship once where the toilet wouldn't flush ... just overflowed.  Evidently, someone put lemon wedges down our toilet.  The plumber blamed us.  Now, my dad was a plumber and I know better.  I honestly think the room steward did it as we had empty mugs with lemons in them for our tea.  I never did get over being blamed for something I knew we hadn't done.  I haven't sailed on that cruiseline since then.  

• Like 1

Just now, Cruise Raider said:

I was on a cruiseship once where the toilet wouldn't flush ... just overflowed.  Evidently, someone put lemon wedges down our toilet.  The plumber blamed us.  Now, my dad was a plumber and I know better.  I honestly think the room steward did it as we had empty mugs with lemons in them for our tea.  I never did get over being blamed for something I knew we hadn't done.  I haven't sailed on that cruiseline since then.  

Getting blamed in the first place is a no, no. A room steward should NEVER blame a passenger for anything. One of our cruises our female room steward scolded up for leaving the snoozin  sign out when we left the room. We never did. She was very arrogant about it also. Hope she was happy with the gratuities. ZERO! I did send an email to the cruise line and they apologized and said she should never have said anything., I really hope you pulled the gratuity.

• Like 1

Just now, twodaywonder said:

Getting blamed in the first place is a no, no. A room steward should NEVER blame a passenger for anything. One of our cruises our female room steward scolded up for leaving the snoozin  sign out when we left the room. We never did. She was very arrogant about it also. Hope she was happy with the gratuities. ZERO! I did send an email to the cruise line and they apologized and said she should never have said anything., I really hope you pulled the gratuity.

It was the plumber that blamed us.  However, it probably was the room steward that threw the lemons into the commode.  She was great in every other way.  But, that plumber left a really bad taste in my mouth.  He even said, I have them right here so I know you did it.  He was going to show them to me before I closed the door on him.  I can't even imagine what they would be coated with ... and he was going to rub my nose in it.  Oh yuk!!  I did write about it to their corporate as it happened the last day .. never heard back.  I should have complained while onboard ... now I know better and I didn't then.  

Anyway, we were just on the Grand, and in a full suite, when the morning of disembarkation, the toilet just started overflowing.  It was so weird, we weren't even in the bathroom and all of a sudden, we heard it trying to flush and then heard the water flowing onto the floor.  Maintenance was there within a few minutes and we left to get coffee and a morning danish ... when we returned, the toilet was fixed and the plumber noted he would send someone to sanitize the bathroom for us.  Within a couple minutes after that, it was all cleaned up.  Now, this was disembarkation morning, at like 6 AM and they had everything fixed and sanitized within an hour of being reported.  They were so kind to us .. that's how it should be taken care of.  I can take a problem in stride ... what I can't stand is when they place blame where it doesn't belong.  

Of note for the OP, if someone accidentally dropped a washcloth or even a hand towel into the toilet and tried to flush it, it can affect the surrounding cabins, depending on where it gets stuck in the pipes.  It's just awful that it's been days since this has surfaced and still not fixed.  

Hi everyone,

I wanted to come back and give you all an update on the situation, and also thank everyone for your comments.  It was very helpful to read of others' experiences with similar issues.  

The Pacific Princess crew has done the right thing in this situation and made things right.  We have been moved to a different cabin and so far all is well!  While I remain surprised that it took so many incidents to make it clear that there was a problem with our original cabin's toilet facilities, in the end Princess absolutely took care of us. 

When the crew on the Pacific investigated the situation further they agreed that we definitely were not the cause of the toilet troubles (and just as an FYI - if any of you ever get the opportunity to view a plumber at work on a ship's toilet issue I DO recommend it, as it is ghoulishly interesting, not to mention satisfying to be proven correct that you as the passenger did not introduce anything unacceptable into the toilet system, lol).  

What a day this has been, but in the end we still were able to get to the beach on St. Kitts today and go to the bathroom in our own cabin...I call this a win-win!  

And finally, a big thank you to all of you for reading of our troubles...much appreciated!

- ringlet

• Like 14

Very happy that they moved you and that they made it a point to tell you that it wasn't your fault.  You never should have been blamed in the first place but I certainly hope that you can finally enjoy the rest of your vacation!