Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The actual numbers:  Yesterday’s COVID death count in just:  

Florida 90,

Georgia 36,  

Arizona  147,

Texas 130.  

That 403 in four states in one day works out to over 2,800 per week.   And, since the infection rate in just those four states is continually growing, the death count is not likely to decline very soon.

i know the COVID deniers do not like hard facts — well, I do not like them.  Their resistance to accept reality - originally just ignorance - is now becoming malignant.  They are keeping the pandemic going, they are keeping the damage to our economy going.  

best post of the day!!   🏆 

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Great news - COVID deaths are now down to a rate of just above 50,000 per year. So why not reopen everywhere - the recent spikes in infections  in a number of states MIGHT not mean anyone gets REALLY sick?

(Of course, it might be that the annual death rate is 50,000 ONLY because of the efforts of a lot of more cautious states.)

Keep trivializing- it seems to make you happy.

NBT, I so agree with you. And I don't know the impetus. I find more and more people that I interact with being FURIOUS about the those who don't/won't wear masks. 

PS: We're one of the "red zone" states. I just want to slap the doo-doo out of lots of people.

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The actual numbers:  Yesterday’s COVID death count in just:  

Florida 90,

Georgia 36,  

Arizona  147,

Texas 130.  

That 403 in four states in one day works out to over 2,800 per week.   And, since the infection rate in just those four states is continually growing, the death count is not likely to decline very soon.

i know the COVID deniers do not like hard facts — well, I do not like them.  Their resistance to accept reality - originally just ignorance - is now becoming malignant.  They are keeping the pandemic going, they are keeping the damage to our economy going.  

I only said that 1,000 dead in a week is better than 17,000 but if the numbers are correct I don't know.

If your numbers are correct, maybe the Swedish way to do it wasn't so bad. No signs of a second wave here yet. Life goes on as normal and still very few are using masks.

I am not afraid of the virus really, I am afraid of people who are not giving a thing about other peoples life and do everything to make this situation even worst. People are much more dangerous than any virus. I wish everyone to stay safe and take all the possible precautious measures 

14 hours ago, d9704011 said:

From what I can tell, the average CV-19 deaths per day in the US over the last week or so is above 700; so, about 5,000 CV-19 related fatalities per week. Perhaps I’m looking at a different data set or interpreting things incorrectly?

My data is from the CDC and I included a link. 

Where is your data from?

30 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

My data is from the CDC and I included a link. 

Where is your data from?

You should have read your link - which made it clear that their:

“Provisional death counts are based on death certificate data received and coded by NCHS.  COVID 19 death counts shown here may differ from other published sources as data are currently lagged by an average of 1-2 weeks”.

The fact is that hospitalizations have only recently spiked up and that death (if it does come) usually comes several days after hospitalization, and submission of death certificates takes some time before NCHS receives them, then codes them.

It is obvious that you will cling to any straw to maintain your belief that COVID is an over-hyped hoax which should not interfere with your planned cruise.  Even though you do not like it when I come back with hard facts to disprove your spouted misinformation, I’ll follow up once CDC’s scientific releases catch up with reality.

One figure I came across this morning that I think is meaningful is the death rate per 1 million residents, as that makes for a comparable number among countries.

On that spectrum, the US has the fifth worst death-rate per 1 million residents at 429 per million. Countries that have a higher death rate are:

Sweden (546 per million)

Italy (581 per million)

Spain (603 per million)

UK (678 per million)

However, researchers warn that the US could continue to move upward on the list vis-a-vis other countries, as many of them are now reporting far fewer deaths than the US....

• Thanks 1

Well it's going to be interesting to follow the numbers in the US now, since they are not going to the CDC anymore but health and human services. It will make the debate of "real numbers" even worse.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

One figure I came across this morning that I think is meaningful is the death rate per 1 million residents, as that makes for a comparable number among countries.

On that spectrum, the US has the fifth worst death-rate per 1 million residents at 429 per million. Countries that have a higher death rate are:

Sweden (546 per million)

Italy (581 per million)

Spain (603 per million)

UK (678 per million)

However, researchers warn that the US could continue to move upward on the list vis-a-vis other countries, as many of them are now reporting far fewer deaths than the US....

The recent surge in infections - leading to a surge in hospitalizations - in recent weeks across much of the US is virtually certain to lead to a higher death toll in coming weeks.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sweden (546 per million)

Italy (581 per million)

Spain (603 per million)

UK (678 per million)

Where did you found that numbers? It seems like that list isn't complete. What about Belgium? I know they have many deaths and the number I found when I googled it was  over 800 per million.

Chile also has many cases. (454 per million is what I found.)

Edited by sverigecruiser

40 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Where did you found that numbers? It seems like that list isn't complete. What about Belgium? I know they have many deaths and the number I found when I googled it was  over 800 per million.

Chile also has many cases. (454 per million is what I found.)

Thanks for pointing that out. The source that was used in the morning briefing I saw had used an "average" figure for 48 European countries, but saw fit to single out Italy and Spain separately (???)  I assume Belgium's high numbers are hidden by that averaging trick.

I'm not exactly sure what the situation is with Chile. If you look at the Johns Hopkins graph (link below), you can toggle between deaths per 100,000 population and case-fatality rate. In the former, Chile is much higher on the list than the latter.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. The source that was used in the morning briefing I saw had used an "average" figure for 48 European countries, but saw fit to single out Italy and Spain separately (???)  I assume Belgium's high numbers are hidden by that averaging trick.

I'm not exactly sure what the situation is with Chile. If you look at the Johns Hopkins graph (link below), you can toggle between deaths per 100,000 population and case-fatality rate. In the former, Chile is much higher on the list than the latter.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Thank you for that link.

I assume that the reason for the low case-fatality for Chile is that they have tested many and because of that have many confirmed mild cases. Many tests give many cases but not more dead!

Edited by sverigecruiser

There's also some differences in how countries count the cases; in the UK, and I believe in Belgium, if there is any mention of covid-19 on the death certificate even though that is not the main cause of death, it is counted as a covid death; I have read some reports of another country where if the main cause is, say,  heart disease, then covid is not mentioned as a reason even though the patient had shown positive.

3 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Okay....tell the truth, which one of you was this....

https://summit.news/2020/07/20/video-screeching-woman-with-tape-measure-lectures-others-for-not-social-distancing/

@clo Was this you!!

LOL! As you can tell, I don't mind speaking my mind but this has gotten darn scary. So no, dammit 🙂

7 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Well it's going to be interesting to follow the numbers in the US now, since they are not going to the CDC anymore but health and human services. It will make the debate of "real numbers" even worse.

Depends on how you define real numbers. Maybe now they will be more factual.

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sweden (546 per million)

Italy (581 per million)

Spain (603 per million)

UK (678 per million)

Just keep in mind that the deaths per capita figure you are seeing is based on all deaths since the pandemic started.  It is not reflective of what is currently happening.   I'm not saying in any way it is bad info.  Just be aware of what the data is about.  

For example, as of yesterday New Jersey at 1,779/1M pop currently has the worse per capita death rate in the US.  That is followed by NY, CT, MA, etc.   However if we were looking at current data only, I suspect the ranking would look a lot different.   I think the same could be said when comparing countries.  Though, I admit I have not confirmed with recent data.  

I typically look at the Worldometer.info site for this kind of cumulative info.   I look at the Johns Hopkins data for current info for the States, particularly the % of test positives.  Of course, for my state and county I look at their websites.   

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Just keep in mind that the deaths per capita figure you are seeing is based on all deaths since the pandemic started.  It is not reflective of what is currently happening.   I'm not saying in any way it is bad info.  Just be aware of what the data is about.  

That's actually what I was interested in -- cumulative deaths, how well an approach to handling the disease has worked over time.

However, the info I cited has other issues as already stated. Yes, I also look at the sources you mention.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Depends on how you define real numbers. Maybe now they will be more factual.

I won't say that it isn't possible, but the way it was implemented was bad. And why do you think the powers to be decided this was a better system now?

The only way to get "true" numbers is to have  a standard procedure to keep and deceminate records across the country. Let alone the world. If people don't have a set protocol to follow and decide to do their own thing, it is certainly not "real numbers".

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 6:27 PM, klfrodo said:

Really???

You're scared to death of Coronavirus??? A bit melodramatic are we?

This from the CDC regarding the FLU

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That's fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC's 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.

Yes, it's a new virus and people are completely losing their ever loving mind over it.

Which is stupid and misguided. 

Be aware? Yes. Take precautions? Yes

However, you're going to lose your mind over a minor virus while there is a known killer on the loose called influenza? 

But there is a known vaccine for influenza! Really? A "known" vaccine? Doesn't seem to be working all that well.

Yes, you are completely wrong. Priorities are totally out of line with reality and scientific evidence.

By all means though. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

So kifrodo,

Been on any good cruises lately???

Jack

(stupid and misguided)

20 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

So kifrodo,

Been on any good cruises lately???

Jack

(stupid and misguided)

Did you notice that post was from January? A lifetime ago these days.

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

I suspect that is the point of the post. We were so naive back then 😳

Some were. I never was but, as said endlessly, I have a lot of medical background and worked in a lab at CDC forever ago so my antennae went up immediately.

"Not that we in the UK have anything to boast about - we're the fourth highest in the world! "

True but there does seem to some crap record keeping, investigation indicates if you had a positive C-19 test it stayed on record so if you got run over by a bus after recovery SOME areas recorded it as a C-19 death based on the positive test....watch the figures they should be amended in time

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cee_Jay said:

"Not that we in the UK have anything to boast about - we're the fourth highest in the world! "

True but there does seem to some crap record keeping, investigation indicates if you had a positive C-19 test it stayed on record so if you got run over by a bus after recovery SOME areas recorded it as a C-19 death based on the positive test....watch the figures they should be amended in time

I doubt it makes a lot of difference in reality.  Most people don't die post-Covid of being run down by a bus.  Far more likely that they die (as happened to a friend of ours) as a result of problems directly caused by Covid, which often has serious longer term effects.