Celebrity's Handling of their Millennium Sailing is SHAMEFUL!

BelloMundo

6 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Just a side note from what I read on a social media forum that Celebrity is now serving on the Millennium  Acqua Ale in place of Evian. It is according to the label a spring water bottled in China?? 

If true it just seems a little odd. And what is on the label raises a few questions.

acq.jpg

Yes, they use local suppliers and as they're in Asia that's what they use. They've used that brand for some years at least, nothing to do with the current issue.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately my DW and two friends were denied boarding on the Millennium on February 1 in Singapore because we had a 1 hour layover in Hong Kong. We never changed planes or seats but were required to exit and go though security. It’s seems to me if you are going to try and contain this virus you would  just keep people in place. 
My question is why doesn’t Celebrity have a 24 hour emergency phone number, what about older folks without internet access. I emailed my TA as soon as I saw the email from Celebrity and she knew nothing about it, and when there is a 13 hour time difference it’s hard to get a quick answer. So after more than 24 hours of travel to get to Singapore arriving at 2:00 PM on Thursday and flying back home less than 48 hours later with 4 flights and 34 hours later getting home. On top of this they put us back though Hong Kong where we didn’t change planes again but made up get off and this time took our temperature and back though security and back on the plane.

People are saying it takes time to change itineraries, well it takes us longer to get ready and get there then it takes then to change itineraries. I do have insurance but I feel X should give a little more than a refund just for goodwill. How many people are going to spend over 58 hours to go to Singapore for 2 days. 
My only other pet peeve is Singapore had more confirmed cases than Hong Kong at the time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, erllje said:

Unfortunately my DW and two friends were denied boarding on the Millennium on February 1 in Singapore because we had a 1 hour layover in Hong Kong. We never changed planes or seats but were required to exit and go though security. It’s seems to me if you are going to try and contain this virus you would  just keep people in place. 

I am so sorry this has happened to you. The issue of being in transit in Hong Kong came as a surprise to us too and even though we aren’t travelling for a while we have changed our flights. And when travelling you can’t always access the Internet. It might have been nice if they’d given you another hotel room for the evening to at least recover from the first flight before trekking back home again. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, LeeaAndPaul said:

Soon there might not be flights out of Hong Kong..... 

I don't see where the picture you posted says anything about Hong Kong flights.  ???

17 hours ago, fragilek said:

Not sure I could justify any higher even for cancel for any reason

16 hours ago, hiccups said:

We always purchase insurance, but have never bought CFAR coverage because of the expense--on our trips, it's close to double the price of the standard insurance we purchase.  At a minimum, about 150% the price of standard.

Everything in life is a decision, and most of those decision involve weighing the risks.  Yes, CFAR can be very expensive.  If you look at the price of insurance and you say no, then essentially what you are telling yourself is "even though something might come up that makes me cancel, I'm willing to accept the risk of losing most or all of what I've paid, instead of buying insurance to cover it."  Doesn't mean you won't be disappointed, but it means you accept the risk of loss.

7 hours ago, erllje said:

How many people are going to spend over 58 hours to go to Singapore for 2 days. 

I actually did a miles run to Singapore a few years ago....flew from the US east coast, was on the ground in Singapore for about 30 hours, and flew home.  Totally different circumstances obviously, as my trip was planned.  🙂

6 hours ago, Pushka said:

It might have been nice if they’d given you another hotel room for the evening to at least recover from the first flight before trekking back home again. 

Yes it would.  But barring that, one could get their own hotel room.  Seems like it would have been well worth it under the circumstances.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Denny01 said:

and by the way, I helped develop rockets so So I Am A Rocket Scientist!!! 

The last post that I read this morning says a lot and explains that this brand has been given out on previous cruises.

Big M:  Yes, they use local suppliers and as they're in Asia that's what they use. They've used that brand for some years at least, nothing to do with the current issue.

I like the part of the rocket scientist. Perhaps you know then that one of the biggest and most widely felt current drug recalls comes from a drug made in China that was found to contain a cancer causing ingredient in the production of rocket fuel.

The whole China thing just raised an eyebrow or two when considering the safety precautions or lack of them in the production of this brand.

No xenophobic racist attitude, just a cautious raised eyebrow when one thinks about China's safety issues.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I don't see where the picture you posted says anything about Hong Kong flights.  ???

Everything in life is a decision, and most of those decision involve weighing the risks.  Yes, CFAR can be very expensive.  If you look at the price of insurance and you say no, then essentially what you are telling yourself is "even though something might come up that makes me cancel, I'm willing to accept the risk of losing most or all of what I've paid, instead of buying insurance to cover it."  Doesn't mean you won't be disappointed, but it means you accept the risk of loss.

I actually did a miles run to Singapore a few years ago....flew from the US east coast, was on the ground in Singapore for about 30 hours, and flew home.  Totally different circumstances obviously, as my trip was planned.  🙂

Yes it would.  But barring that, one could get their own hotel room.  Seems like it would have been well worth it under the circumstances.

F4A1CC94-2EC3-44C6-8384-5D092FD5FA81.jpeg

I will freely admit that as a career I was in R&D and worked on infectious diseases and vaccines.  Coronavirus needs to be addressed as the current and serious public health concern.  But the media loves to get everybody panicked and in a frenzy.  Many take it as just a factor in our immediate-information based society.  But the medical and health communities will study the data and make the proper recommendations. And quarantines.  Just like Zika, Avian Flu, SARS, Ebola, Chikunguna, MERS, the list goes on.  Every one of these caused mostly an over-reaction and undue panic.  Of course people globally did get these infectious agents and there were deaths and that is a very sad thing.  Outbreaks can be global much quicker because of our modern transportation methods.  But we also have the medicine and science to control outbreaks.  Not likely we will have another Flu pandemic like 1918 because we are 100+ years advanced in medicine and public health practices.  I think missing a cruise or changing ports is a small price to pay to apply the proper medical and public health decisions in every one of these cases.  Panic is our enemy.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Not likely we will have another Flu pandemic like 1918 because we are 100+ years advanced in medicine and public health practices.  I think missing a cruise or changing ports is a small price to pay to apply the proper medical and public health decisions in every one of these cases.  Panic is our enemy.

Absolutely. Today just a walk down the cough and cold isle in a local pharmacy shows we can deal with things as we were unable to back during the pandemics. Fever reducers, pain relievers, cough treatments and antibiotics that help prevent the more serious secondary infections that the flu symptoms can foster. 

1 hour ago, LeeaAndPaul said:

F4A1CC94-2EC3-44C6-8384-5D092FD5FA81.jpeg

Ok, but that wasn't the picture you posted before.  The prior one that I responded to only talked about flights to China, not Hong Kong.  When I google the full article it lists a temporary stoppage to Hong Kong by American.  I haven't looked at more recent news yet to see if that cancellation has been extended, or if Delta and United have added Hong Kong to their cancellation list.  My BF has a flight next month on Delta to Hong Kong and hasn't been notified yet of a change, though it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

Absolutely. Today just a walk down the cough and cold isle in a local pharmacy shows we can deal with things as we were unable to back during the pandemics. Fever reducers, pain relievers, cough treatments and antibiotics that help prevent the more serious secondary infections that the flu symptoms can foster. 

I don't think Nyquil will be sufficient for this bug. I worked on a Pandemic plan for a company that was developing a flu vaccine. This was back in the 2003-2006 time frame. This feels more significant than the scenarios we were considering. The concern I have with this particular virus is that it can be spread by people with no symptoms at all.. to taking someones temperature at an airport might be too late... and only makes the public feel better that authorities are doing something. The fact that the Chinese have been so secretive means that it is difficult for other health organizations to know the true extent of the problem.The videos I have seen of people literally walking down the street and doing a face plant and then laying there motionless is unlike what I think of when I think of someone suffering with the flu. There are now more people with Coronavirus than had SARS. This disease is spread more easily than SARS... fatality is hard to know since it seems the Chinese have not been keeping records of many who have died. Now the good news is that there may be a treatment on the horizon... so it may be something that can be dealt with by the time it becomes an issue in other parts of the world.... I heard one doctor outside China who successfully treated a patient using anti virals and HIV drugs and there is a pharmaceutical company that seems to have some success treating a single individual.  We are cruising the Caribbean in a month. I am more concerned about regular flu at this point... but I think it is a good idea to watch this situation closely and dispassionately. AA pilots sued AA to stop flights into HK as well as China... so that may do more to impact cruises out of HK than anything X has said at this point.

• Like 2

Hope you realize the CFAR (Cancellation For Any Reason) does not cover epidemics! We cancelled a Viking cruise where we had CFAR but were advised that it does not cover epidemics.  However if we caught the coronavirus and needed to be repatriated home to the US, they would cover all expenses for the repatriation which would be far more than the cancellation of a trip.  Meanwhile cruise ships are being turned away from ports and they have changed port of embarkation and disembarkation and if you booked flights per original itinerary, you get stuck paying change fees.  Totally ridiculous and I’m sure it will come back to bite them!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LUAUBOUND said:

Hope you realize the CFAR (Cancellation For Any Reason) does not cover epidemics! We cancelled a Viking cruise where we had CFAR but were advised that it does not cover epidemics.

Seems like it's not true CFAR if it stipulates situations that are not included.  Is this pretty typical of all CFAR policies?

26 minutes ago, LUAUBOUND said:

Hope you realize the CFAR (Cancellation For Any Reason) does not cover epidemics! We cancelled a Viking cruise where we had CFAR but were advised that it does not cover epidemics.  However if we caught the coronavirus and needed to be repatriated home to the US, they would cover all expenses for the repatriation which would be far more than the cancellation of a trip.  Meanwhile cruise ships are being turned away from ports and they have changed port of embarkation and disembarkation and if you booked flights per original itinerary, you get stuck paying change fees.  Totally ridiculous and I’m sure it will come back to bite them!!

Is this a third (3rd) party policy or Vikings?

I have read from a few travel insurance experts that most CFAR policies would cover this situation, as it is just that CFAR... with between 50% to 75% refund in cash.

Please clarify the policy issuer.

Thank you and bon voyage

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Is this a third (3rd) party policy or Vikings?

I have read from a few travel insurance experts that most CFAR policies would cover this situation, as it is just that CFAR... with between 50% to 75% refund in cash.

Please clarify the policy issuer.

Thank you and bon voyage

I hate to disappoint you but our CFAR policy is with Travelex which is a better policy than Viking and it excludes epidemics, war, riots and many others.  We spoke to them on the phone for quite some time.  

5 minutes ago, LUAUBOUND said:

I hate to disappoint you but our CFAR policy is with Travelex which is a better policy than Viking and it excludes epidemics, war, riots and many others.  We spoke to them on the phone for quite some time.  

Well then how do they get away with calling it CFAR insurance?  That really stinks.

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well then how do they get away with calling it CFAR insurance?  That really stinks.

So it's CFAAR (almost any reason)? Or CFMR (most reasons)?

That sucks even more than having my normal policy and Chase Sapphire Reserve coverage not cover this.

Edited by MisterBill99

4 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

Hate to sound like a Pollyanna, but I knew Celebrity would come through.  They needed a minute to get everything sorted out and patience is key during times of crisis.  I have to say that some other cruise lines, like NCL have yet to follow Celebrity's lead.  Hopefully, they will.  Thank you for posting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I looked at my plan document for Travel Insured International Trip Protector Plus plan cancel for any reason section.   It doesn't list any exceptions, just "for any reason not covered by this Policy"

If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this Policy, benefits will be paid for 75% of the Prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip provided:
a) Your Payment for this Policy and enrollment form are received within 21 days of the date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received;
b) You insure 100% of the Prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure within 21 days of the Payment or Deposit for those Travel Arrangements the cost of any subsequent Travel Arrangements (or any other Travel Arrangements not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip; and
c) You cancel Your Trip 48 hours or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date.
These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy.

• Thanks 1