Celebrity's Handling of their Millennium Sailing is SHAMEFUL!

BelloMundo

Things are changing very rapidly.... CDC just announced:

"Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced on Friday that the coronavirus has been declared a public health emergency in the U.S. Beginning at 5 p.m. on Feb. 2, U.S. citizens returning from Hubei province will be subject to a 14-day quarantine, while other Americans who traveled elsewhere in China will be instructed to self-monitor for possible symptoms.

Azar also said that President Trump is temporarily suspending entry into the U.S. for foreign nationals who pose a risk of transmitting the virus.

In the same press conference, the Department of Homeland Security announced that starting on Sunday, flights coming to the U.S. from China will be funneled through seven airports that are equipped to screen passengers for symptoms of the virus.

The move comes as Delta Air Lines and American Airlines suspended flights between the U.S. and China, following several other international airlines who made similar announcements. United Airlines said that it was suspending flights to Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu, but would continue flying to Hong Kong."

If this thing keeps following the simulation which suggests a million could be dead by the end of Feb.... there will likely be more changes coming. I would try to be calm and wait a few days ... odds are more changes will be coming.  The cruise line can't win... if they cancel... people will be ticked off if this thing fizzles... I have seen people freak out when the miss a stop in hurricane season.... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Alas, there is no hope you will achieve resolution of your concern here on Cruise Critic.  You're understandably upset.  Any of us would be, and many of us have been, when faced with similar changes.  I had deviations to cruises when the H1N1 virus was a concern.  My experience, and that of most others, has been that if you allow the cruise line to work through things, they will come up with solutions that will allow for various options, and - as hard as it seems to believe now - will likely resolve the situation to your satisfaction, and be more than fair. 

Demands for answers before they exist, and bellicosity on the part of customers, causes many businesses to cease approaching a situation from a customer service standpoint, and instead address complaints as a legal matter.  While making outrageous accusations and demanding instant action may allow one to feel that they are accomplishing something, often patience, and a modicum of cooperation will yield much more long-term satisfaction. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Well stated Harris.    I'm sure the OP is upset and nothing said here will change their mind in the slightest.   I hope they find a vacation that is enjoyable.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well stated Harris.    I'm sure the OP is upset and nothing said here will change their mind in the slightest.   I hope they find a vacation that is enjoyable.

At this point the best thing the CC community can do is to try and calm down the OP.  Let's try to convince him that he's going to need to wait a few weeks to find resolution.  If the airlines aren't flying to the region then eventually they will adjust the cruise itineraries.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BelloMundo said:

The question is "when". 

When they know what is happening! It is being taken day by day.  In a weeks time it might well be obvious that it is going to be fine and one the wane, or it has ramped up!

• Thanks 1

I can relate to the OP's post.  I wouldn't say shameful but I would say Celebrity could have communicated this situation much better than they have.  I tried to get answers for my daugher who is on the 2/15 sailing and is trying to figure out what is going on this morning.  Celebrity told me at 10:11 she would be receiving an email soon.  She got her email 4 hours later.  

Because of this health emergency someone is going to lose money.  Everyone has flights booked to the scheduled embarkation/disembarkation ports.  IT can cost big money to change this.  

It is a bad and upsetting situation for so many reasons.  Sometimes people need to vent.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BelloMundo said:

I confirmed the information by checking several sources and personal experience. Celebrity has refused to enter into any kind of option other than "forfeit your payment", period.

Given that they are offering everyone a refund in the form of future cruise credit, there is no question of forfeiting your payment unless you choose not to book a future cruise. Furthermore, they have published a changed itinerary with substitute ports to avoid health risks. Beyond simply refunding your money, which they are understandably reluctant to do given that you have already spent these dollars with X, I don't understand what else they should reasonably be expected to offer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I must admit I would be pretty bummed with just a cruise credit if the cruise was cancelled by the cruise line. Have I read this correctly or is it just that some of the ports have been changed?

Post #13 contains the letter from Celebrity.  So far no cruises have been cancelled, ports have been changed.  Some will not be allowed to board and they will recieve a refund.  The OP cruise is 6 weeks away so at this point it is unknown what will happen with that sailing.  Celebrity is dealing with the sailing for tomorrow and the following one first.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Post #13 contains the letter from Celebrity.  So far no cruises have been cancelled, ports have been changed.  Some will not be allowed to board and they will recieve a refund.  The OP cruise is 6 weeks away so at this point it is unknown what will happen with that sailing.  Celebrity is dealing with the sailing for tomorrow and the following one first.

Thankyou.

I think Celebrity have just made another announcement here

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert

Obviously they are unable to detemine past end of February but they will act if they need to.

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

Given that they are offering everyone a refund in the form of future cruise credit, there is no question of forfeiting your payment unless you choose not to book a future cruise. Furthermore, they have published a changed itinerary with substitute ports to avoid health risks. Beyond simply refunding your money, which they are understandably reluctant to do given that you have already spent these dollars with X, I don't understand what else they should reasonably be expected to offer.

My point is understand if people want to vent or are upset.  This is my daughter and son in laws honeymoon.  They don’t have the finances to do something else right now and let Celebrity hold onto their money in the meantime. They planned this cruise around my son in law’s top bucket list spot - Halong Bay.  That stop was cancelled.  

Many people have planned a long time.  This is not a typical Caribbean cruise for most people.  It is a big deal.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omeinv said:

Again, you mischaracterize.  Celebrity has not refused an option, you simply do not like the option that has been presented.  Further, it's fairly clear that - should the situation warrant - they will offer options similar to those for the February cruises. 

This virus outbreak is a near perfect example of a "force majeure" situation.  The definition being unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract.  The sad news in that case is legally, it releases the party usually bound by a contract from fulfilling it at all.  Clearly Celebrity is not invoking their right under the doctrine of force majeure, so that's already evidence they're working to mitigate the difficulties.

Further, perhaps when booking you travel you should understand what you're agreeing to.  In this case:

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

----------------------------------------

Ahhh, the Contract of Carriage, which many do not or have never read!

Thank you for this....

bon voyage

17 minutes ago, heidikay said:

My point is understand if people want to vent or are upset.  This is my daughter and son in laws honeymoon.  They don’t have the finances to do something else right now and let Celebrity hold onto their money in the meantime. They planned this cruise around my son in law’s top bucket list spot - Halong Bay.  That stop was cancelled.  

Many people have planned a long time.  This is not a typical Caribbean cruise for most people.  It is a big deal. 

Understood, does their travel insurance and/or credit card insurance cover this type of instance or not?

Long way to travel from home without it, as you say, '...not a typical Caribbean cruise..' for most, except for the most of us who do travel to other parts of the world for cruises, which can be typical.

bon voyage

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, heidikay said:

I’m sorry that you daughters honeymoon hasn’t worked out as they had planned and that Halong Bay has been changed to other Vietnam cities.  Celebrity is offering to cover $500 p p in airline change fees, and the airlines hopefully will be flexible in allowing changes.  
I hope they have a wonderful wedding and go on their honeymoon with the revised itinerary and have a lifetime of good memories. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I certainly would be on edge if I was departing on a China cruise in a few weeks. But we have already seen from the February 1st cruise that Celebrity is crafting new itineraries to keep passengers safe, away from Chinese ports. Having worked for a cruise company in the past where I was the one who had to make phone calls to passengers about itinerary changes I can guarantee you that the cruise line does not take these things lightly. But there are a lot of mechanics involved in overhauling an itinerary so close to departure especially with a rapidly escalating health crisis going on that is causing chaos with both airline and ship routing. You have to remember that ALL cruise lines visiting China are scrambling to revise their itineraries right now. They have to find new ports of call and that can take time. Also, the cruise line is going to want to try and make changes as close to departure as possible to avoid having to change the itinerary multiple times with multiple communications to passengers leading to increased confusion. As long as you have travel insurance then you're covered. If the cruise line cancels the trip outright then you get a full refund and can file for your flight ticket and other costs through the insurance. If there are flight cancellations and you can't reach the ship then you can recover your costs through insurance. Time to just take a breath and wait for more information from Celebrity.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heidikay said:

My point is understand if people want to vent or are upset.

Vent all you like, but directing your ire at the cruise line is totally irrational. Celebrity had nothing to do with the outbreak and they are doing all they can to provide their customers with safe alternatives or financial compensation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Well, all I can add is, My popcorn does not ever get stale on topics like this one... even without butter! 😂

bon voyage

This isn’t a popcorn topic Bo, sorry but it is a serious worldwide health problem.

• Like 4

The World Health Organization is evaluating information minute by minute. As is the CDC. It's safe to think that every country's equivalent is doing the same. Contingency plans are being placed, evaluated, re-evaluated, and altered as necessary on a frequent basis. A plane of Americans evacuated from China was re-routed on the way here to Southern California from Alaska, and passengers are now being quarantined a full two weeks, though this was not the original plan. 

Yet, Celebrity, certainly not a health organization, is supposed to predict the exact consequences of this emergency weeks in advance for one particular cruise, rather than dealing with the most immediate issues first?

I understand and respect the concern, but not the logic.

Hopefully the OP wisely purchased adequate travel insurance, as it is clear that nothing Celebrity does will be good enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh my-  to much hysterie these days. All blown up by the eager press. Yes it is a worldwide health problem- but there more- much more. Here in Germany around 1000 people died of the influenze this season- not a single word in the press- until Corona came up- then it a got one sentence in a hysterical report about Corona!

As if X would get their passengers live in jeopardy - they cancel dangerous ports- and that is that! Should they cancel whole cruises? No- certainley not!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oville said:

This isn’t a popcorn topic Bo, sorry but it is a serious worldwide health problem.

I agree.. very serious.  No popcorn!

Cruise lines can only do their best in a fluid situation. Besides the pax from many diff countries,   they also must have very anxious  crew 

members to consider and protect..

Hope people  can accept the best outcomes being offered....very stressful!

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

I agree.. very serious.  No popcorn!

Cruise lines can only do their best in a fluid situation. Besides the pax from many diff countries,   they also must have very anxious  crew 

members to consider and protect..

Hope people  can accept the best outcomes being offered....very stressful!

Thanks, this is not a dress code or gratuity issue.  Lives are in peril and things get more dire every day.  

Safe travels tomorrow. K

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1