Multiple entrees in MDR

RoperDK

Search feature didn't help and we haven't been on Princess in a few years.  We are going on the Sky.  I've seen some MDR dinner menus and with my food limitations, it looked like two entrees would work for me on several nights. I'd skip the appetizers and pasta. I'm pretty sure this will be fine, but want to make sure. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Search feature didn't help and we haven't been on Princess in a few years.  We are going on the Sky.  I've seen some MDR dinner menus and with my food limitations, it looked like two entrees would work for me on several nights. I'd skip the appetizers and pasta. I'm pretty sure this will be fine, but want to make sure. Thanks! 

If you have any food limitations please put that on the Cruise Personalizer & talk to the Maître d’ when you get on board. They will meet with you each night in the dinning room to go over the menu for the next day. The kitchen can make special food items if necessary. 

Please keep us posted.

Tom😎 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RoperDK said:

look for MaryBethV trip report on Sky Feb 8-15th trip report.  She has posted the dining room menus for every night.  

Edited by AF-1
added txt
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

look for MaryBethV trip report on Sky Feb 8-15th trip report.  She has posted the dining room menus for every night.  

Yes, I have been enjoying reading her review!  That's where I saw the menus.  Thought I would be eating in the buffet all week, but if I can make some adjustment in the MDR, I can eat there. 

11 hours ago, trbarton said:

If you have any food limitations please put that on the Cruise Personalizer & talk to the Maître d’ when you get on board. They will meet with you each night in the dinning room to go over the menu for the next day. The kitchen can make special food items if necessary. 

Please keep us posted.

Tom😎 

I don't have any food allergies, but I can't eat raw veggies or rich sauces anymore.  That leaves out my beloved salads and cream soups and most pasta dishes.  Being able to have multiple meat/seafood entrees with the sauce on the side would be great. I like the idea of ordering an entrée as an appetizer size.  I will give the MDR a try!      

14 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Yes, I have been enjoying reading her review!  That's where I saw the menus.  Thought I would be eating in the buffet all week, but if I can make some adjustment in the MDR, I can eat there. 

I don't have any food allergies, but I can't eat raw veggies or rich sauces anymore.  That leaves out my beloved salads and cream soups and most pasta dishes.  Being able to have multiple meat/seafood entrees with the sauce on the side would be great. I like the idea of ordering an entrée as an appetizer size.  I will give the MDR a try!      

I would still let the staff know about sauces. Yes an appetizer size is a good option. 

Tom😎

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 1:41 PM, RoperDK said:

You've described ht e veggies they serve in the DR on almost all Princess ships. Their steamed & usually hard. We prefer the veggies at the buffet which at least have flavor. The ones in the DR aren't that great. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Sometimes I'll want one of the mains as an appetizer. And sometimes they'll be able to give me just an appetizer size portion. Other times I'll get a full size one. It's never been a problem on Princess. 

At times it's hard to distinguish the difference in size between a main course & an appetizer. 😊

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 12:41 PM, RoperDK said:

This sounds like a dietary restriction to me. I recommend you talk with the head waiter about this dietary restriction. If you order from the head waiter a day in advance, they would be able to leave the sauce off and they may be able to substitute another sauce that you could eat. You would need to tell the head waiter exactly what you mean by "rich sauces" so that he would be able to avoid them.

Without ordering a day in advance, you can still make some adjustments to the MDR menu. For example, you can order different sides with an entrée than the ones listed - as long as the sides you want are available (and they are available if they are listed with any other entrée on that menu). You may also be able to order without the sauce - depending on when the sauce is added.

It certainly would not be any harm to discuss your issues with the head waiter and ask his advice on how to handle them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

This sounds like a dietary restriction to me. I recommend you talk with the head waiter about this dietary restriction. If you order from the head waiter a day in advance, they would be able to leave the sauce off and they may be able to substitute another sauce that you could eat. You would need to tell the head waiter exactly what you mean by "rich sauces" so that he would be able to avoid them.

Without ordering a day in advance, you can still make some adjustments to the MDR menu. For example, you can order different sides with an entrée than the ones listed - as long as the sides you want are available (and they are available if they are listed with any other entrée on that menu). You may also be able to order without the sauce - depending on when the sauce is added.

It certainly would not be any harm to discuss your issues with the head waiter and ask his advice on how to handle them.

I think I will talk to the head waiter this time.  I usually don't want to make a fuss, but my choices can end up being very limited. With a few modifications I would be just fine. Thanks!   

They always do their best to accommodate, whether due to dietary restrictions or just preference.  It's especially easy when you do traditional dining with the same staff each night.  

On my parents' last cruise, after the first night when the waiter discovered my Mom loved shrimp, he would automatically bring her TWO shrimp cocktails every night!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago we were on an Alaskan cruise and made four new friends at our dinner table that week. One night near the end of the cruise, one man at our table would see the shrimp cocktail every night on the menu and asked our waiter, can’t i get fried shrimp on this cruise?  The waiter conferred with the head waiter and he was brought a small plate of fried shrimp a little later.  The next night was formal night and as we were eating our entrees the head waiter brings to our table a ginormous platter of beautifully fried shrimp!  We ate our fill and asked the waiter to take it around to other tables in our area.  The head waiter got a VERY handsome tip that night 😂

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:49 PM, RoperDK said:

Yes!

• Thanks 1