You're quarantined on a ship for a few weeks. What do you wish you brought?

tomservo

Let's say you ended up on a ship with an outbreak and it gets quarantined for a few weeks. What do you wish you had brought with you? Medicine, a first aid kit, cigarettes to trade for food stuffs (jk), etc. Of course it's unlikely given the sheer number of cruises where this hasn't happened, but I think this might be a cathartic exercise for those with concerns and an upcoming cruise (we'll be on the Bliss next week).

For us we'd bring extra medicine (Tylenol, Motrin, etc).

Probably my laptop. On a cruise, I like to unplug. I put my phone in the safe on Day 1 and pretend the outside world doesn't exist. But, were I to be quarantined, I would probably wish I had my laptop so I could get some work done, play some games, stream some movies, and keep up with the news beyond the "vacation" portion of my trip.

• Like 7

Of course meds even  OTC stuff ...extra undies ...hope to have a balcony to beable to wash and hang ....books ?masks and gloves ...a radio ..if stuck in port ...

lozenges, cough drops, wipes , 

lots of patience 

Leaving on a cruise next Sunday. I always just bring my bottles of meds instead of taking out enough for the trip - definitely doing that this time. I'm flying to the cruise so my tablet will already be with me on this one. Kindle will be coming so as long as I have access to internet I have books & streaming. I always overpack a bit so I'd have enough clothes and underwear so I wouldn't be completely strapped for clothes.

Kind of went over some of this on my last cruise since it wasn't long after the hurricane that kept everyone away.

I got upgraded to a balcony so that's nice, but I'm solo so if we're contained to our cabins I will really wish I brought a friend with me! And if we're contained to our rooms I'd probably wish I brought bottles of wine on board or stashed drinks in the days preceding. 

The first cruise ship "quarantined" showed just how crazy and stupid this policy is, in the end 700 people ended up with the virus. Anyone who is a realistic suspect of being infected should be whisked off the ship and let the rest get on with it.......

• Like 4

Yes, definitely my laptop and mobile phone, so I am able to work remotely and connect with the outside world(I assume NCL would open up the internet to us).  Other than that probably just plenty of extra meds ....aspirin, prescriptions, etc.

Hopefully, I would not be in an inside stateroom....ugh.

Thought about this myself.  Usually only travel with meds enough for the time we are gone but bring full pill bottles we we cruise this time (April) - but hoping this will be dying down by then. My kindle with numerous books and non-internet dependent games since I can't rely on the ship's.  Would take my laptop for gaming but same issue with the internet. Might pick up some clothes soap for washing in room. Just in case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Probably my laptop. On a cruise, I like to unplug. I put my phone in the safe on Day 1 and pretend the outside world doesn't exist. But, were I to be quarantined, I would probably wish I had my laptop so I could get some work done, play some games, stream some movies, and keep up with the news beyond the "vacation" portion of my trip.

Yes, I dont bring my laptop with me on cruises. If I was to be quarantined I'd die to have my laptop with me...

• Like 1

That brings up some good questions, wonder how they handled smokers on Diamond Princess.  I'm surprised I'm not reading more in media about conditions and personal experiences now that they have been back a good while.  And what sort of situation they are in now back in the US.

Plans already in place (I was a girl scout - be prepared!).

Extra meds, a balcony, my kindle, and a couple of needlepoint projects (lightweight and small, plus they take forever). 

Snacks

Arrangements for extended care for my pets. 

Phone #/email contact info if I have to cancel appointments.

Printed or electronic copies of my insurance documents so I can spend the time working on my claim.

5 hours ago, tomservo said:

Let's say you ended up on a ship with an outbreak and it gets quarantined for a few weeks. What do you wish you had brought with you? Medicine, a first aid kit, cigarettes to trade for food stuffs (jk), etc. Of course it's unlikely given the sheer number of cruises where this hasn't happened, but I think this might be a cathartic exercise for those with concerns and an upcoming cruise (we'll be on the Bliss next week).

For us we'd bring extra medicine (Tylenol, Motrin, etc).

We were on the Bliss for 14 nights this February when the Cvirus news broke. So we’re in our inside cabin and we are looking at CNN news about the 14 nights quarantine. My wife and I looked at each other. We couldn’t do 14 nights in the inside cabin.
My suggestion is balcony only....even if you can’t go outside you can crack the balcony door open....fresh air.
Of course meds for 3 weeks.

It’s going to happen again.  We’re not booking anything. Supposed to do Bermuda in May and Europe this fall but haven’t booked yet.

17 minutes ago, cementhands said:

We were on the Bliss for 14 nights this February when the Cvirus news broke. So we’re in our inside cabin and we are looking at CNN news about the 14 nights quarantine. My wife and I looked at each other. We couldn’t do 14 nights in the inside cabin.
My suggestion is balcony only....even if you can’t go outside you can crack the balcony door open....fresh air.
Of course meds for 3 weeks.

It’s going to happen again.  We’re not booking anything. Supposed to do Bermuda in May and Europe this fall but haven’t booked yet.

I don't think they will quarantine another cruise ship entirely, as the first one was a disaster 1 or 2 people infected 700, it wouldn't surprise me if virus traveled through the air conditioning system. If it was locked down as claimed how did so many people become infected ? To me getting the sick people off the ship asap is the best policy. But yes, a balcony would be a prerequisite from now on.....

8 hours ago, joeyancho said:

I don't think ship quarantines will happen again

since the last one was so incredibly ineffective.  

You may have a point!

As I heard one medical expert say on TV

Diamond Princess will become/ALREADY-IS ..a textbook example of how not to do it!

I also heard them say

that bureaucrats were in charge of the whole thing

rather than scientific medics being at the top of the Say-So pile

and that's why the whole ship turned into a giant petri dish!

3 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

A helicopter. Maybe a jet pack.

Invisibility cloak and running shoes. Hazmat suit and PAPR.

I could use cute twins around age 19-25

and a good supply of those little blue pills

whaddya call them again?

If I'm gonna die on board

there is no finer way to die on a cruise ship!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3