“Cruise With Confidence”- cancellations up to 48 hours before sailing

dkjretired

7 hours ago, rimmit said:

I think a year is optimistic.  18-24 months even with fast tracking from the govt and FDA is my best guess. To get something like that on the market in that 18-24 months would be impressive.  A year would be a near miracle.  Clinical trials take a ton of time.  

Agree closer to 24 months. IMO.

My wife and I are on the Infinity out of Rome on June 21st.  We're paying for a second cabin for my parents.  If we end up cancelling the entire cruise under the new policy, can we use the FCC from both cabins for a future cruise only for my wife and I?  Or does the FCC have to be used for the original passengers?  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, uspearls said:

My wife and I are on the Infinity out of Rome on June 21st.  We're paying for a second cabin for my parents.  If we end up cancelling the entire cruise under the new policy, can we use the FCC from both cabins for a future cruise only for my wife and I?  Or does the FCC have to be used for the original passengers?  Thanks in advance.

The FCC's will have each individual's name on them...doesn't matter who paid for the cruise.  You will get four certificates and they do have to be used by the person they are made out to so you wouldn't be able to use all four on a booking for you and your wife.  

2 hours ago, hcat said:

There is alot to it, even without airfare or hotels.

Guess we will also lose our $300 Cruise booking OBC from X and perks, plus cost of Cruisecare ( paid  sep as NY resident). 

DH is cancelling our specialty dining and pre paid port excursions so they will go directly back onto our credit card.  Once that is accomplished we will pull the plug on Summit and be done with it!  How this will run smoothly, I do not know!?

Celebrity will refund any extras directly to you credit card

I know it works that way too,  but easier to limit what needs to be done.  Those  credits get back  to the card fairly quickly!

Hope we can get through tomorrow. The phones are probably ringing off the hook!

So sad but feel it is the right decision for us..

Thanks to everyone on  Cruise Critic boards  for sharing info and hand holding!

Here is my concern. We sail on Aug 7th, few days after the announced date. Why are we not covered? Policy should be extended to the end of 2020 sailings. My bigger concern is Final Payment date. TA wants full payment for the cruise, 100 days prior to sailing. That is next month. Even if I am willing to wait and see about what happens to this situation, by August, I am forced to make a decision by next month. If there is no change, from cruise line about the final payment date, I am afraid, I will be canceling. Why not extend the final payment date to 30 days, instead of dealing with a lot of cancelations. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AquariusOne said:

Here is my concern. We sail on Aug 7th, few days after the announced date. Why are we not covered? Policy should be extended to the end of 2020 sailings. My bigger concern is Final Payment date. TA wants full payment for the cruise, 100 days prior to sailing. That is next month. Even if I am willing to wait and see about what happens to this situation, by August, I am forced to make a decision by next month. If there is no change, from cruise line about the final payment date, I am afraid, I will be canceling. Why not extend the final payment date to 30 days, instead of dealing with a lot of cancelations. 

I would assume they will be continually reevaluating. They still have time to extend their policy for you when final payment gets closer. 

Hi All. I read the Celebrity website, including the overview and FAQ's. I know it will be difficult to get through to Travel Agent in the next few days. Hoping someone here, who has cancelled today, under new program can clarify my understanding.  My understanding is for cruises before that July date, you can cancel up to 48 hours before. Your deposit (whether refundable or non-refundable) paid will be converted to a FCC. The applicable cancellation penalty (ie, 25, 50, 75 or 100%) will be converted to a FCC. The total amount of your cruise, less the deposit , and less the cancellation penalty, will be credited back to your credit card as a cash refund. Also prepaid excursions, specialty dining etc would be credited back to your credit card also. We will lose perks and OBC's we had, and only get such when we rebook, if they are offered. If Celebrity goes bankrupt the FCC's are probably worthless. Celebrity can withdraw the offer here at any time in fine print. FCC's must be used in 2020 or 2021. Celebrity could increase prices on future cruises, somewhat devaluing the FCC's. If my understanding is correct, that the total fare, less deposit, less cancellation penalty is refunded immediately to CC as cash refund, ...there is an incentive NOT to wait to last minute, as an increasing portion of the fare would go to a FCC as opposed to a CC refund. My understanding is, if you want to gamble the cruise would get cancelled...which would get you a full CC cash refund... and your gamble is correct... you would make out better than Celebrity's offer. On balance, if my understanding is correct of all these details...I think Celebrity has done a very good thing, and their offer is worth taking, especially if you are a senior citizen like me, or have health issues. If you have talked to Celebrity, and gotten through on phones.... is my understanding correct? If not, could you be so kind as to correct my understanding? Thanks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AquariusOne said:

You are not covered because you can cancel until about May 8th. Unless in the UK you can get a refund instead of a FCC.

48 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

Hi All. I read the Celebrity website, including the overview and FAQ's. I know it will be difficult to get through to Travel Agent in the next few days. Hoping someone here, who has cancelled today, under new program can clarify my understanding.  My understanding is for cruises before that July date, you can cancel up to 48 hours before. Your deposit (whether refundable or non-refundable) paid will be converted to a FCC. The applicable cancellation penalty (ie, 25, 50, 75 or 100%) will be converted to a FCC. The total amount of your cruise, less the deposit , and less the cancellation penalty, will be credited back to your credit card as a cash refund. Also prepaid excursions, specialty dining etc would be credited back to your credit card also. We will lose perks and OBC's we had, and only get such when we rebook, if they are offered. If Celebrity goes bankrupt the FCC's are probably worthless. Celebrity can withdraw the offer here at any time in fine print. FCC's must be used in 2020 or 2021. Celebrity could increase prices on future cruises, somewhat devaluing the FCC's. If my understanding is correct, that the total fare, less deposit, less cancellation penalty is refunded immediately to CC as cash refund, ...there is an incentive NOT to wait to last minute, as an increasing portion of the fare would go to a FCC as opposed to a CC refund. My understanding is, if you want to gamble the cruise would get cancelled...which would get you a full CC cash refund... and your gamble is correct... you would make out better than Celebrity's offer. On balance, if my understanding is correct of all these details...I think Celebrity has done a very good thing, and their offer is worth taking, especially if you are a senior citizen like me, or have health issues. If you have talked to Celebrity, and gotten through on phones.... is my understanding correct? If not, could you be so kind as to correct my understanding? Thanks.

Many of your points are correct and you raised many valid considerations not brought up thank you 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NJ Gal said:

I could not find this on Celebrity's website.  I have made several phone calls and have been told  with my Celebrity  insurance, I will lose 25% up to one month prior to sailing  ( two weeks from now)  and after that 100% will be lost.  Where is this new policy listed? 

Evelyn

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

They should refund port taxes and fees to credit card, right?  From the FAQ:

"Guest will remain responsible for paying the applicable deposit amounts, taxes/fees, port expenses and gratuities for the new booking."

I was wondering if it could be applied it to an existing late 2020 or 2121 booking like a gift card value but it needs to be a new booking.  Fine print at the bottom of the FAQ:

" The FCC is non transferrable and may not be redeemed for cash. The FCC certificate’s value may be applied toward the cruise fare due on a new booking on the brand originally purchased. " 

Also not transferrable so the original cruiser(s) must be on the new booking.

There's also a potential benefit to rebooking on an earlier sailing if you find a good deal as you could fully use up the credit on two cruises if needed.  Not sure how b2b (or b2b2b...) works.  If you currently cancel b2b, that's two future bookings you can use FCC on?  Can it be combined to upgrade to a more exotic & expensive itinerary? It is clear that one can't cancel a single more expensive cruise and apply that fully to two back to back sailings based on the wording below.

"If you apply the Future Cruise Credit on a cruise that’s less expensive, the cruise fare will be covered in full.  Any leftover amount will be issued as a remaining balance Future Cruise Credit 30 days after the sailing and must be used within 6 months."

We booked our March, 2020 Caribbean cruise thru an online agent. We want to cancel utilizing Celebrity's new Cruise with Confidence program where we'll get a future cruise credit. Can we cancel thru Celebrity directly or do we have to go through our T.A.?

I know the hold times on the phone are incredibly long at this time, and I'd rather spare my T.A. from doing this, if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Will be on the Equinox in September and have until March 9th to include CFAR in my travel insurance. Wish Celebrity has extended the cancellation offer past the end of July so not to pay for this extra feature. Hopefully they will extend the offer but if not I will include the CFAR just to be safe.

37 minutes ago, edgekid said:

We booked our March, 2020 Caribbean cruise thru an online agent. We want to cancel utilizing Celebrity's new Cruise with Confidence program where we'll get a future cruise credit. Can we cancel thru Celebrity directly or do we have to go through our T.A.?

The TA is the one to cancel it with the cruise line. 

When you use a TA, you are the client of the TA and the TA is the client of the cruise line.

5 hours ago, Pushka said:

My final payment date isn't until mid May for a late July cruise. I am not doing anything for a while yet because I think there is more action to come. 

Our cruise on Aug1st ( ONE day outside the July 31st cut off date for cancelling up to 48 hrs prior to the cruise) visits 4 Italian ports. At the moment I am doing nothing, as I am assuming that Celebrity could change the itinerary. That of course would mean that I should cancel excursions already booked.

I am also wondering if they will even reposition the ship over to Southampton in April. They have already postponed the Christening of Apex, due to take place in Southampton at the end of March.

Also, as T& C are different in UK, I am waiting to see what new T&C Celebrity UK publish.

So it’s a case of wait & see.

F2EC8B4A-8B02-4C7C-B3B6-AD201A09DC3E.png

6 hours ago, az_tchr said:

You are not covered because you can cancel until about May 8th. Unless in the UK you can get a refund instead of a FCC.

What do you mean “unless in the U.K. you can get a full refund instead of a FCC” ?

1 hour ago, Harvey1976 said:

What do you mean “unless in the U.K. you can get a full refund instead of a FCC” ?

Not sure about UK law but in Australia you’d get a refund if Celebrity cancels the cruise on you. Obviously if you cancel it’s different. 

Edited by Pushka