Sanitizer and masks availibility

CruiseAF

6 minutes ago, amscene1 said:

yes I just ordered some...

www.ship-eez.com

I have been using their seasickness patches for years. Everything they make is made for cruisers and top quality.

Nice price gouging!

_2020-03-13_133003_ship-eez.com.png

_2020-03-13_133037_ship-eez.com.png

Edited by 3CatsInMA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The CDC and WHO have both said the only people who should be wearing masks are those that ARE SICK or taking care of someone sick. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

masks are a waste unless you ALREADY HAVE IT.  and if that is the case you damn well better NOT be sailing

the ship will have sanitizer on board and plenty of it.   Most Clorox brand items will work  for additional in stateroom  cleaning.  

quite frankly, cruise ships do a better job of cleaning public areas than most public schools and venues.   all you have to do is wash your hands .  A LOT.  as in every time you pass by a restroom, step in and  scrub away.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Had a story on news last night that masks discarded in ocean is the new plastic waste.  Hundreds washing up on shores.

Lots of local scalpers selling on street corners.  TP, masks and wipes.

1 hour ago, CruiseAF said:

Does anyone know where I can get sanitizer and face masks for my upcoming cruise. not taking any chances and amazon and all the local store are sold out of everything.

check your local Dollar Tree or Dollar General, Family Dollar. Our Dollar Tree was getting 10 cases today (heard someone ask)  and I bought some from Dollar General a couple of weeks ago. Regular price, not price gouging.

While I agree with everyone else...if you're needing a face mask, you shouldn't be on a cruise. 

However, to answer your question...they are out of masks at all the stores in my area, however...you can find them in places the general public is probably not thinking about...like a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes.

People here don't get the mask thing, it's common and regular sighting in China and East Asia, it is a peculiar attitude here about there usage, we listen to authorities not to use them as they are useless, but ignore the same authorities about social distancing, I see the correlation in the trends here and in the Far East.

I' think I've posted this here before, but wearing them in Asia is very common and you do it more many reasons, just like many Chinese people are going home as it's safer there not then Western world, funny how things changed so quickly in 6 weeks. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/opinion/coronavirus-face-mask-effective.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're still cruising? Please self-isolate when you return.  

1. San Francisco’s mayor is ordering residents to stay home in an effort to slow the spread of coronavirus.
  2. Moments ago, Macron said he was prohibiting gatherings across France, including family and other social gatherings.
  3. The White House has advised people not to gather in groups of more than 10.
  4. (NYC) "Nightclubs, movie theaters, small theater houses, and concert venues must all close," he added.

57 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Stores will be overstocked in hand sanitizer and masks well before cruiser lines are operational again.

^^^^

Exactly. By the time the cruises start sailing again there won't be a need for face masks, and sanitizer will be readily available

1 hour ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

San Francisco’s mayor

Actually it's seven Bay Area counties, something like 1.7 million people. I also can't figure out why people are continuing to travel period.

3 hours ago, chipmaster said:

People here don't get the mask thing, it's common and regular sighting in China and East Asia, it is a peculiar attitude here about there usage, we listen to authorities not to use them as they are useless, but ignore the same authorities about social distancing, I see the correlation in the trends here and in the Far East.

I' think I've posted this here before, but wearing them in Asia is very common and you do it more many reasons, just like many Chinese people are going home as it's safer there not then Western world, funny how things changed so quickly in 6 weeks. 

Many do  not understand why you see many more masks in Asia.  It is not so much as to avoid catching things, but folks who are sick will often wear a mask to protect others.  If you need to wear a mask to cruise, you probably should not be getting on a plane or cruise.  If I were running the embarkation operation at any port, I would call for enhanced screening for anyone wearing a mask.  To add to the confusion, a majority of masks worn by the general public are not designed to stop a virus....which is so tiny it can simply go though many masks.  There are some decent masks that do block most viruses, but even folks that can get that type of mask do not usually know how to wear them so they are effective.

Even  our own government does not seem to have a clue.  We flew through DFW, this past Saturday, and had to go through the Immigration hall.  The CBP officers were in their normal uniforms, without any kind of mask, dealing with hundreds of folks who were only about 2 - 3 feet distant.  These folks came from Europe and other places in the world.  When they encountered somebody who came off a recent flight from Milan, they would take them over to other CBP officials who did have masks.  Nearby there was a CDC Official fully outfitted in gown and anti-virus mask.  When I walked past the CDC official I asked him if he had any extra masks and he laughed and told me that if had a "gross" he could sell them for enough to retire.  We do live in strange times.

Hank

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Actually it's seven Bay Area counties, something like 1.7 million people. I also can't figure out why people are continuing to travel period.

According to the headlines it's closer to 7 million, give or take a hundred thousand. 

4 minutes ago, Philob said:

According to the headlines it's closer to 7 million, give or take a hundred thousand. 

Oops, you're right. I just reread my friend's note. 6.7 million. 

22 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Many do  not understand why you see many more masks in Asia.  It is not so much as to avoid catching things, but folks who are sick will often wear a mask to protect others.  If you need to wear a mask to cruise, you probably should not be getting on a plane or cruise.  If I were running the embarkation operation at any port, I would call for enhanced screening for anyone wearing a mask.  To add to the confusion, a majority of masks worn by the general public are not designed to stop a virus....which is so tiny it can simply go though many masks.  There are some decent masks that do block most viruses, but even folks that can get that type of mask do not usually know how to wear them so they are effective.

Even  our own government does not seem to have a clue.  We flew through DFW, this past Saturday, and had to go through the Immigration hall.  The CBP officers were in their normal uniforms, without any kind of mask, dealing with hundreds of folks who were only about 2 - 3 feet distant.  These folks came from Europe and other places in the world.  When they encountered somebody who came off a recent flight from Milan, they would take them over to other CBP officials who did have masks.  Nearby there was a CDC Official fully outfitted in gown and anti-virus mask.  When I walked past the CDC official I asked him if he had any extra masks and he laughed and told me that if had a "gross" he could sell them for enough to retire.  We do live in strange times.

Hank

My experience at EWR arriving from Norway via Denmark on the 14th was different. Did you arrive on the 14th or 15th?

Was everyone’s temperature taken? Where in the process?

Any other overt health screening for everyone or only for those from Milan?

Were you interviewed? What were the questions?

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

People aren’t wearing masks because they are sick!

54D6AC9A-1A4D-4B49-98DC-6D6F104EB39B.jpeg

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

My experience at EWR arriving from Norway via Denmark on the 14th was different. Did you arrive on the 14th or 15th?

Was everyone’s temperature taken? Where in the process?

Any other overt health screening for everyone or only for those from Milan?

Were you interviewed? What were the questions?

We arrived on the 15th at DFW!  We did not see anyone have their temperature taken in public, although many from the Madrid flight were taken away and handed over to CDC folks.  Those folks from the Milan flight had a single page health form that they had to complete and turn in as they went through the CBP Passport check.  Since we had arrived on a flight from Puerto Vallarta, where there are no confirmed cases, we were not asked any health questions nor did we need to fill out a health form.  When we passed through the CBP Passport check the agent simply ask us if we had traveled anywhere other the Mexico.  

This evening we again saw a TV report that showed long lines at DFW.  We did not experience any significant lines, but part of the reason is we both have Global Entry.  When we had to check back in through TSA to get to our domestic flight there was no line for TSA Precheck and the regular line was also very short.  DW and I figure the lines at DFW must have happened after we left the immigration area around 4:45 pm.   While we were in that immigration area the regular line had less than two hundred and there were 4 or 5 agents handling that crowd.  But it was moving slowly because many had arrived on a flight from Europe.

Hank

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We arrived on the 15th at DFW!  We did not see anyone have their temperature taken in public, although many from the Madrid flight were taken away and handed over to CDC folks.  Those folks from the Milan flight had a single page health form that they had to complete and turn in as they went through the CBP Passport check.  Since we had arrived on a flight from Puerto Vallarta, where there are no confirmed cases, we were not asked any health questions nor did we need to fill out a health form.  When we passed through the CBP Passport check the agent simply ask us if we had traveled anywhere other the Mexico.  

This evening we again saw a TV report that showed long lines at DFW.  We did not experience any significant lines, but part of the reason is we both have Global Entry.  When we had to check back in through TSA to get to our domestic flight there was no line for TSA Precheck and the regular line was also very short.  DW and I figure the lines at DFW must have happened after we left the immigration area around 4:45 pm.   While we were in that immigration area the regular line had less than two hundred and there were 4 or 5 agents handling that crowd.  But it was moving slowly because many had arrived on a flight from Europe.

Hank

All the border closures are simply face saving measures, it is like closing the barn door after the animals are already out.L

Everyone should study what So Korea and Taiwan have done to successfully contain it, but the US and with the leadership was all denial and in-action for 8 weeks, and Italy will be us in 4 weeks

COVID19_US_03_16_2020.JPG

Edited by chipmaster

7 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Interesting read, thanks for posting the link. 

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

How were things in PVR your last few weeks?  We were there for almost a month until the 4th of March.  The final week in the resort seemed much less busy.  

We followed almost the same path as you back home. PVR, DFW, DTW.  No questions from anyone where we might had been at DFW. 

1 hour ago, buggins0402 said:

How were things in PVR your last few weeks?  We were there for almost a month until the 4th of March.  The final week in the resort seemed much less busy.  

We followed almost the same path as you back home. PVR, DFW, DTW.  No questions from anyone where we might had been at DFW. 

I have previously posted about the situation in PV, but will be happy to do it again.  I can only speak to the situation in PV up to last Saturday, March 14, since that is the day we departed PV for home.  We have lived in the Old Town of PV for the past 14 winters so I guess we have a good feel for the city.  Up until March 14, everything was completely normal.  It is normal for the pace and crowds to slow down towards the end of February and this is just the norm of the various tourist seasons.  As we near the end of Feb, many of the "snow birds" start to head home for the Spring.  Once we are into March we get a slight surge do to spring breakers from  both Mexico and North of the border.  But the spring break kids/young adults often stick to all-inclusive resorts outside of PV and do not crowd many of the local restaurants.  This year we had heard several locals say that there was a drop off because many spring break kids had cancelled.  But this had little impact on our part of PV except in some of the bars and clubs that cater to younger folks.

When we left PV last Saturday, most of the talk was about whether folks wanted to go home and deal with virus.  It was simply not an issue for those of us in PV.  Perhaps this will quickly change in the next few weeks.  We heard stories about late season tourists cancelling their trip to PV and imagine this is accurate given what has happened North of the border.  This will impact the shops and restaurants, but they will likely stay open until there are suddenly cases in PV...or if the Mexican government imposes some kind of anti-virus measures.  But so far, the government has been way behind the curve and doing nothing except to ignore the virus panic sweeping the world.

Hank