Are our cruising days over? (merged topics re: health and age restrictions)

WmFCoyote

7 hours ago, kate59 said:

Our biggest issue with cruising now is that travel insurance is so expensive for both of us - so I tried something different the other week. Hubby's travel insurance is though a company who covers over 65 and I have gone with a company known for covering pre-existing illness. Doing this we saved half the amount of the cheapest quote I had for insuring both of us and when you intend to be away for over 80 days it is a lot of money.

Is this an insurance company specifically for Australia?  Could you post the name of the company if it isn't.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:17 AM, hunt182644 said:

As I posted on page 11 I talked to two doctors about the form. Both said for liability reason's they would be hesitant to sign it.

My appointment is a few weeks off yet.

Who knows, maybe Princess will even come out with their version before then.

My doctor is very liberal so perhaps he'll have a different view of the version they posted right now. 

7 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Is this an insurance company specifically for Australia?  Could you post the name of the company if it isn't.

Hubby Apia, me All Clear, neither cover pandemics.yes Australian.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:37 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

It does not apply to Princess!!

So it is Moot for this thread.  

Actually, Princess has adopted it. Customer Service (the lady I spoke with), did not

connect the dots on the irony on issuing FCC's. If you are diabetic, etc. you probably

always will be,  so the FCC's are useless.

48 minutes ago, nini said:

Actually, Princess has adopted it. Customer Service (the lady I spoke with), did not

connect the dots on the irony on issuing FCC's. If you are diabetic, etc. you probably

always will be,  so the FCC's are useless.

Can you Provide the link to this new policy you say Princess has adopted?

Edited by dog

There are other ways of seeing the world. Ya, all, open your eyes to tours, stay cations, etc. 

It seems many cruise lines are taking now, 90 days, to give your $ back. I consider this close to stealing peoples money.

Many consumers were getting fed up with cruising before this virus. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nini said:

I personally spoke with Princess today. 

P.S. Thanks Keith- at least you made me chuckle.  😁

Not clear. Did the rep tell you they adopted that new policy?  

I mean, no princess cruises are even sailing.  Why would they update a policy about how to get on if they don't even know if they will be able to start cruises up again, and in what capacity.  I don't understand why all the forums people are perseverating on this over 70 form thingy that may or may not ever get used.  Why doesn't everyone just table the discussion and circle back to when they announce cruises are going to be able to start up again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I mean, no princess cruises are even sailing.  Why would they update a policy about how to get on if they don't even know if they will be able to start cruises up again, and in what capacity.  I don't understand why all the forums people are perseverating on this over 70 form thingy that may or may not ever get used.  Why doesn't everyone just table the discussion and circle back to when they announce cruises are going to be able to start up again.

A lot of misinformation is being posted. Let people post the link to the Princess Policy if: when it is published. Other cruise lines have put it into effect.  At this point IMO it is just talk. Ignore topic if not interested 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I think it is valid for those with canceled cruises that are debating whether or not to get the cash refund or FCCs.  If they implement and keep the over 70 policy and these people have a chronic health condition, it may make more sense to take the cash.  Many people try to plan their sailings in advance, so I think it is a pertinent concern.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The reason that the "letter" keeps coming up is that if a cruise is canceled by the cruiser they will receive a FCC instead of money back to their credit card. Currently a cruiser will receive their money back (Cancellation fee, Taxes, etc) to their CC if they cancel the cruise and the rest in FCC's. But a A cruiser may be given the option to receive FCC (ie 25%) in addition to their money returned (100%) or up to 225% if PCL cancels the cruise. However if a person will be unable to cruise without the "letter" it becomes a No Brainer. A FCC is worth nothing if you will not be allowed to board. Another thing to factor in is that the FCC will expire 31 Dec 2021 and PCL might not have a cruise that you are interested in. PCL could also raise the prices by as much as the FCC if they so desire. I would like to control MY cruising future.

• Like 2

As to cruising in the not so distant future, according to the governor of New York, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal will be converted temporarily into a hospital.

source: Governor Cuomo's press conference this morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think it is valid for those with canceled cruises that are debating whether or not to get the cash refund or FCCs.  If they implement and keep the over 70 policy and these people have a chronic health condition, it may make more sense to take the cash.  Many people try to plan their sailings in advance, so I think it is a pertinent concern.  

It also is of concern to those of us over 70 who are not yet up to final payment. whether we cancel of not could very well depend on whether they put this into effect, but we do not know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And the other concern is reserving a cruise and having to pay for it 75-90 days out and having a doctor sign a form a week or two before the cruise.  Then if the cruise line says "NO" they only want to give FCC not money back. What good is FCC if you can not use it? A total rip off IF implemented

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

The reason that the "letter" keeps coming up is that if a cruise is canceled by the cruiser they will receive a FCC instead of money back to their credit card. Currently a cruiser will receive their money back (Cancellation fee, Taxes, etc) to their CC if they cancel the cruise and the rest in FCC's. But a A cruiser may be given the option to receive FCC (ie 25%) in addition to their money returned (100%) or up to 225% if PCL cancels the cruise. However if a person will be unable to cruise without the "letter" it becomes a No Brainer. A FCC is worth nothing if you will not be allowed to board. Another thing to factor in is that the FCC will expire 31 Dec 2021 and PCL might not have a cruise that you are interested in. PCL could also raise the prices by as much as the FCC if they so desire. I would like to control MY cruising future.

They are already charging more next year for similar cruises. You know that they are going to try to extract as much cash as they can from the few that are willing to cruise when it starts again

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

They are already charging more next year for similar cruises. You know that they are going to try to extract as much cash as they can from the few that are willing to cruise when it starts again

The price on my cruise with the same perks for next year at this time just went down in price.  I just called in to my TA to save me $300.  Some are probably going up but mine has definitely gone down.  It may go back up again ... who knows?  But, if they want to fill their ships ... well, you know the rest of that statement.