P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

37 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Visited Pompeii many years ago and found it interesting.  I haven't visited Herculaneum but it is on my bucket list -  I too have heard many times that it is better than Pompeii. One day . . .

Clear blue sky, sunny, cold and frosty here.  Beautiful day looking through the windows but it's cold. Our coldest day so far this winter  at 0 deg with a feel of -2. 

IMO,not better,just different.Pompeii is huge and getting bigger every day with continuous excavation.We have a place called Scolacium up the road.It consists of ruins of a Roman town,similar to Pompeii on a smaller scale.On the same site there are Greek ruins because Calabria was part of Greece back in the day.To top it all there is a  Norman Cathedral built in 1065 on the same site.Brian.

• Like 4

Oh thanks Kalos!!!!!!     Now I suspect there will be quite a few Cruise Critic members, in various parts of the Country, who can't get the song out of their heads all day 🤣🙃

It says anyone who wants can buy the CD.

As for me, I walk like that anyway.   Splayed feet, a family trait 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Oh thanks Kalos!!!!!!     Now I suspect there will be quite a few Cruise Critic members, in various parts of the Country, who can't get the song out of their heads all day 🤣🙃

It says anyone who wants can buy the CD.

As for me, I walk like that anyway.   Splayed feet, a family trait 😀

🎶 Left Flipper- Right- Flipper -1-2-3 !  🎶  All together now :classic_wink:

Off to check our shopping order for tins of Pilchards ... Left Flipper- Right- Flipper -1-2-3 ! :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, brian1 said:

IMO,not better,just different.Pompeii is huge and getting bigger every day with continuous excavation.We have a place called Scolacium up the road.It consists of ruins of a Roman town,similar to Pompeii on a smaller scale.On the same site there are Greek ruins because Calabria was part of Greece back in the day.To top it all there is a  Norman Cathedral built in 1065 on the same site.Brian.

Sounds greatt. Such a shame we can't blooming well go and see it.,🤣

Edited by zap99

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I think if I tried that outside in the snow the next song I would be singing would be 🎵There coming to take me away Ha Ha🎵🤪

Avril

You're safe Avril ,we are too far gone for that ,besides everyone's doing it in Scotland ..Aren't they ? :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

The Packers have done brilliantly this year.. would imagine Rodgers has a few more seasons after this one - MVP (most valuable player) 😁

Well that didn’t go very well for us last night at all they lost 😡 and my other half wasn’t pleased with their playing at times and threw what could of been a lead away a couple of times !! never mind , Rupert I won’t tell you the score for the next game in case you haven’t watched it yet 🙂

28 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Likewise in Sicily. I have visited some of the sites there in Enna, Siracusa and Agriento while visiting family.

I forgot the Saracens,lol.Sicily is even more diversified.All this might be a thing of the past for us.Probably have to sell up and leave with all the complications of residency,losing UK driving licence and taking an Italian driving test to get their licence.Bloody nightmare.

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Get kettle on and the play this ..... :classic_unsure:

We both quite liked that and thought it fun.  Would have been a lot better if it did not label the right and left feet incorrectly though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tring said:

We both quite liked that and thought it fun.  Would have been a lot better if it did not label the right and left feet incorrectly though.

Mmmmmm  More to the point have you had a go at it yet ? :classic_unsure:

pngtree-penguin-penguin-cartoon-cartoon-cartoon-penguin-png-image_485345.jpg.5dc8c656b0f1e6acecc905e32e4a0537.jpg  🎶 Left Flipper- Right Flipper 🎶 Come on you know you want too :classic_smile:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Just finished watching a programme on the Titanic conspiracy not being the Titanic that sank. I found it fascinating. All the evidence is there, that the ship which actually sank was her sister the Olympic. Right up to the final photo of the wreckage on the ocean floor, that sealed it for me, evidence beyond any doubt. Insurance fraud. It was on CCXTV if it gets repeated its worth a watch.

Given that the olympic was a troopship in the first world war and didn't sink until 1934, I find this somewhat implausible. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, terry2 said:

Only about 70% so far, they are still excavating there.   There was a report in November of a recent find: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55029538 

Yes and at the end of December they revealed a  fast food outlet had been found.

No not a macs nor bking   and I dont think it was drive through

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/dig-of-pompeii-fast-food-place-reveals-ancient-tastes/5716251.html#:~:text=Pompeii Archaeological Park's chief Massimo,a thermopolium — was completely uncovered.&text=Since then%2C archaeologists have kept digging. 

27 minutes ago, terry2 said:

Given that the olympic was a troopship in the first world war and didn't sink until 1934, I find this somewhat implausible. 

I have not seen the programme but I assume they are talking about the original hull number of the ship that sank. Assuming both were being built around the same time, rather like Diamond and Sapphire Princess, where the original DP suffered a major fire during construction, and the SP hull was advanced and became the DP. 

Of course if Titanic had not sunk on its maiden cruise, any switch would have faded into a footnote in history.

I have no facts to back this theory, just a supposition to suggest why it might be true.

25 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

One of my favourites was the big willy carved in the pavement pointing the way to the brothel.OTOH it could have been a hot dog stand.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, terry2 said:

Olympic did serve has a troopship and returned to passenger service after the first world war, it did have several accidents but did not sink.

it was retired from service after the White Star line merged with Cunard and scrapped on Tyneside in 1936.

The other sister to Titanic the Britannic was serving has a hospital ship in the first world war and sank after hitting a mine.

A hotel in Alnwick has some of the fixtures and fittings from Olympics dining room.

Edited by Bloodaxe

26 minutes ago, brian1 said:

One of my favourites was the big willy carved in the pavement pointing the way to the brothel.OTOH it could have been a hot dog stand.

Just a tad further.  On a guided private tour with another two couples, we were shown the Brothel where the guide explained the “frescos” as being the Menu for clients to point at the service required.  A question was asked by a man if there was a discount for a full menu.  To which his Wife responded... “Full Menu he says!   It’s been a long while since I had that!”.  Husband left the establishment sheepishly. 

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

I bet the apple pies were still hot.🤣

3 hours ago, kalos said:

You're safe Avril ,we are too far gone for that ,besides everyone's doing it in Scotland ..Aren't they ? :classic_unsure:

Yes we did get a news item explaining how to lower our centre of gravity to avoid falls (and clogging up the A&Es with broken bones as a couple of weeks ago there were many broken ankles, wrists etc). My husband and I were in hysterics seeing a grown man demonstrate how to do so on national TV no looking , you guessed it, a bit like a penguin. Apparently it is the same principle skaters use when they think they are going to fall on the ice.

I laugh but if I feel I am going to fall I may give it a try 🥶

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, pete14 said:

I caught an interesting programme today on Discovery channel about Herculaneum near Naples and Pompeii. I wish I had seen it before I went there a few years ago but it did bring back some memories of a fascinating place that Vesuvius put paid to 2000 years ago. 

We had a week planned in Sorrento back in early October which was cancelled, the plan was to visit both Pompeii and Herculaneum during our stay. We were in Naples on Oceana in 2017, but opted out of going on the excursion to Pompeii given the short time it was there, said we would return on a land based break to do a visit there justice. 

I have been to Pompeii & Herculaneum before, 56 years ago on a school trip, but guess it will have to wait another year before we return. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terry2 said:

The story I've seen is that:

Olympic was damaged following a collision with an RN ship.  White Star were not paid out by either the Admiralty or White Star's insurers and considered the ship uneconomical to safely repair.

So, at some point, they secretly switched over the names of the ships, renaming Olympic as Titanic and vice-versa.  Followed by  a cunning plan to sink "Titanic" when conveniently close to other vessels to rescue the crew and passengers.  

An iceberg came along too early and the rest is history, apart from the theory that it was actually Olympic that sank.  Leaving Titanic serving as a troopship under the name of Olympic.

If that is what happened, the only people who really know are long gone.  

• Like 1

Got my snow boots on this morning to clear the 3 or more inches of snow that fell yesterday from the pathway around side of house to front gate, plus length of footpath to neighbours gate, my exercise for the day!  The melting snow revealed a yellow polyanthus peeking though, the nearby snowdrops have yet to flower, the bellis in baskets are also starting to flower, spring is not that far off. 

50A9799D-4509-4537-849B-6D1558E31C1D.jpeg

• Like 8

Lovely photo Snow Hill.  Last week I got quite excited as the daffodil and tulip bulbs I had planted in pots around the garden had started coming up. Then the snow came and they are all completely covered. I know they will be fine but it lifts my heart to see new beginnings in my garden. 

• Like 2