River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Numbers are looking promising in Tennessee.  As of March 25, there were 385 Covid deaths in the state, compared to 1,761 in February and 2,743 in January.  I attribute this to 2 factors - the older, more vulnerable population got their vaccinations, and a year after the onset of Covid, doctors know more about how to treat it.  

But things aren't all rosy.  The number of cases and number of hospitalizations continue to go up.  Young people especially are being too complacent.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Roz said:

Numbers are looking promising in Tennessee.  As of March 25, there were 385 Covid deaths in the state, compared to 1,761 in February and 2,743 in January.  I attribute this to 2 factors - the older, more vulnerable population got their vaccinations, and a year after the onset of Covid, doctors know more about how to treat it.  

But things aren't all rosy.  The number of cases and number of hospitalizations continue to go up.  Young people especially are being too complacent.

I worry we are 6 weeks behind Europe....

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I worry we are 6 weeks behind Europe....

You are doing well over there with your vaccines. Keep wearing masks and be careful with opening indoor places and the situation will not get much worse, I am tentatively confident. In Europe I feel we have lost the race. Germany has just declared France a high incidence zone and entry into our country is only allowed with a negative test.

I cannot go to work until 18 April. And I am one of the lucky ones due to my favourable contract.

More suspected cases of "death after  and caused by AstraZeneca vaccine" have been officially reported to the authorities. More on that later.

notamermaid 

16 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

You are doing well over there with your vaccines. Keep wearing masks and be careful with opening indoor places and the situation will not get much worse, I am tentatively confident. In Europe I feel we have lost the race. Germany has just declared France a high incidence zone and entry into our country is only allowed with a negative test.

I cannot go to work until 18 April. And I am one of the lucky ones due to my favourable contract.

More suspected cases of "death after  and caused by AstraZeneca vaccine" have been officially reported to the authorities. More on that later.

notamermaid 

Every state is different here in the US. We have been pretty open for quite awhile now. Only 2 cities in our state have a mask mandate (the state never had one). Our schools have been open all year.

Glad you have a favorable contract. I wonder how some are surviving who have been with out work for a long time.

6 hours ago, Coral said:

We have been pretty open for quite awhile now. Only 2 cities in our state have a mask mandate (the state never had one). Our schools have been open all year.

Now I share your concern. To cope with an influx of B117, this might be too much like normal.

notamermaid

It is Palm Sunday today, so I would like to share just the good news. A bit of hope for everyone, also us river cruisers waiting to travel again. Will it speed things up? There is hope. The European Medicines Agency has approved three new sites for vaccine production: https://www.dw.com/en/covid-vaccine-ema-approves-new-production-sites-in-germany-netherlands-switzerland/a-57019447

notamermaid

• Like 2

@Daisi and all our Canadian readers, I have just seen this article on Deutsche Welle on the AstraZeneca vaccine: https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-canada-pauses-astrazeneca-jab-for-under-55s/a-57045682

This is in line with some European countries and Germany is investigating three more cases (two fatal), some centres and clinics here have gone it alone and not used the vaccine in the female under 55's, although it is still allowed for all age groups by the health authorities. Norway has decided to halt using the AstraZeneca all together for three weeks more. With the new facilities of the Pfizer/BioNTech in the EU hopefully there is more to go round and be shipped to the Americas. Perhaps BioNTech would like to expand to Canada in the future...

That is such a blow for the younger age groups but the tragic deaths of several seemingly healthy nurses and doctors need to be investigated and prevented in the future.

I have found a report that is finally scientific enough to give some explanations beyond standard media.

I will link to that later.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in Ontario, but most of my family is in Prince Edward Island.  PEI stopped using the A-V virus the other day, as they had been using it for essential workers - grocery store clerks/cashiers, servers etc., who are normally on the younger side.  Ontario only had it available for those 60 - 65 at certain locations.

I feel like I am back in High School again.  When we did the Prom (final year party/dance), I made sure I was on the committee so I and some friends could influence them to hold it in Quebec - about an hour drive, but age limit would ensure that everyone was of age to " party" except some of us (me!) who would only be a year under age instead of two.  Back in the same boat now, except my fake ID won't work for medical purposes...and I think I lost it a long time ago. 🙂

What bliss it would be to be eligible for a vaccine! Indeed, for the first time since college days I would prefer to be older, not much though. Those were the days when a manual change to a student pass would get one into the disco - yes, I admit to having used a fake ID in my youth.

Meanwhile, more news is coming in about the AstraZeneca vaccine at almost a dizzying speed, with a special meeting of our health authorities being set for this evening.

The Canadian authorities have mentioned the German regulator, the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut, in their recommendations, as well as other sources being at the basis of their decision.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

I live in Ontario, but most of my family is in Prince Edward Island.  PEI stopped using the A-V virus the other day, as they had been using it for essential workers - grocery store clerks/cashiers, servers etc., who are normally on the younger side.  Ontario only had it available for those 60 - 65 at certain locations.

Actually, while it was originally only offered to those 60-64 (it wasn't approved originally for 65+) it was extended to include anyone 60+. In Ontario, it was never given to under 60s. (I got in near the beginning, because, although I turn 65 this year, I wasn't when I got the shot.)

I am a bit busy for the rest of the evening, at the moment following the press conference of our authorities. Therefore without further comment for now, here is the informative, slightly more scientific article on the findings surrounding the AstraZeneca vaccine I had promised to post: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/rare-clotting-disorder-may-cloud-worlds-hopes-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine

notamermaid

What's infuriating me, here in the USA, is that after a full year of this, there are still some Americans who refuse to accept that mask wearing is mostly to protect others , not ourselves.  Wearing a mask is not a selfish act, but a selfless one.  Kinda like smoking----you have the right to give yourself lung cancer if you choose, but you do not have the right to expose me to your carcinogens.

• Like 5

Yeah, weird people about. There are some around here, not that many, but they sometimes keep police occupied at weekends and the sensible people annoyed. Why people do not get this act of politeness and kindness puzzles me.

sharkster77 I thought of you yesterday, how's your dog doing?

notamermaid

And here in another part of Ontario,  our health unit does not have any of the AZ, so we are biding our time waiting for our age group to be able to register for the Pfizer.  If you are 70 or older there are still a few spots available for tomorrow. 

RB

55 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

And here in another part of Ontario,  our health unit does not have any of the AZ, so we are biding our time waiting for our age group to be able to register for the Pfizer.  If you are 70 or older there are still a few spots available for tomorrow. 

RB

I'm not sure where in Ontario, but there are now regions where they are reducing the age to 65+. There is also a large quantity of AZ arriving tomorrow I think, but I'm not sure where it is being distributed.

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Yeah, weird people about. There are some around here, not that many, but they sometimes keep police occupied at weekends and the sensible people annoyed. Why people do not get this act of politeness and kindness puzzles me.

sharkster77 I thought of you yesterday, how's your dog doing?

notamermaid

Thanks for thinking of us.  He's been fine since the scary day 2.5 weeks ago.  He's going to have an ultrasound of his liver and adrenals on Thursday to see what's up.  If his adrenals are enlarged, then he'll be tested for Cushings disease and we'll go from there.  Keeping all are fingers crossed that the ultrasound doesn't find something scary in his liver........   Cushings I believe can be managed with medication.  Not a great thing, but would be better than dealint with a tumor...........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Thanks for thinking of us..........  If his adrenals are enlarged, then he'll be tested for Cushings disease and we'll go from there.  Keeping all are fingers crossed that the ultrasound doesn't find something scary in his liver........   Cushings I believe can be managed with medication.  Not a great thing, but would be better than dealint with a tumor...........

Cushings is manageable with daily medication.  One of our Beagles had it for many years (until he died of old age at 17).  The only issue was that the dose for his weight was not a standard dose and had to be compounded at a specialty pharmacy.     We did have nearby compounding pharmacies, so only a slight nuisance (but greater expense).  Prayers that the scans don't reveal anything more serious.

• Like 1

In brief only: Germany has decided to recommend (and administer) the AstraZeneca vaccine only to those of age 60 and above. The exception is that if you are still interested in getting the first shot of that vaccine and you are under 60 you can have it from your GP after detailed information about the risk has been given to you and you are willing to take it despite the recommendation. Big deal for the vaccine? Probably. Proven the vaccine is responsible? Not yet, this is still a precautionary measure. A blow to the vaccine roll-out in Germany? Not that much, after a few days of readjusting the logistics, we will continue with the high volume of vaccinations I should think, just slowing down over the Easter weekend. As of last night, 84.9% of all vaccines we have in Germany have been administered. You see, we just cannot do much more right now, the capacity is there, the vaccine delivery is not. April will change that...

Meanwhile, first promising results from Pfizer/BioNTech for teenagers: https://www.dw.com/en/covid-biontech-pfizer-vaccine-shows-100-efficacy-for-young-teens/a-57061878

notamermaid

18 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Have you heard that Germany & France have been talking to Russia about buying their vaccine, it was reported on the radio but haven’t seen any written reports yet. CA

Here is one: https://www.dw.com/en/merkel-macron-putin-discuss-sputnik-v-vaccine/a-57056985

notamermaid