River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

@notamermaid, how far apart do they do your vaccines?  We will be getting our 2nd in August...they will give us the date when we go tomorrow.

I hope you manage to get it earlier.  We had been expecting the gov't. to open up for 55+ at the clinics, but so far not, now the province has designated certain postal codes that are priority.  I hear up in Ottawa there is a bit of a flack over that, as one of the designated postal codes has one of the smaller #'s of cases.  Guess some politician is trying to get re-elected.  Sad when they do that over people who need it.

22 hours ago, djh1959 said:

I've just got home from a long, long lunch to hear that we have decided to revive our AstraZenica program and go back to vaccinating under 50s with it, once their turn comes.  I haven't heard yet why this has happened, but Australia is incredibly careful with allowing vaccinations, since we don't have any local cases, so they must be confident that it is now safe.

I am so sorry, now I know not to post after a long, long lunch.  It turns out what I posted above was not strictly correct - it is safe for under 50s, but only if they have extenuating health conditions that mitigate the risk.  They are still not planning to vaccinate healthy under 50s, well not while we are still not getting any cases anyway.

Yesterday, Germany officially mourned its Coronavirus pandemic dead. In that context it is good to see some faces and hear stories behind the numbers. In Germany we tend not to be as open as other countries perhaps with naming victims but I personally have also not looked much at German TV coverage so have certainly missed quite a lot. There are many stories behind 80,000 dead, each one unique and sad in its own special way. For the first time for me a number became a face a few weeks ago when I saw the obituary for a local retired man and volunteer for charities in his village who I had seen several times in my town.

Last year I lost a relative to cancer and what I find hard is the fact that he like so many others could not have the funeral and farewell they should have had. Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh was of course also affected by this and while apparently he had requested and planned a funeral without much fuss a slightly grander affair would have been so much better, one that he I am sure would have had in normal times.

Saturday was not a good day, I was really sad about his departing (the funeral was also broadcast on German telly by the way), then amidst the build-up of emotions I learned that a colleague in my volunteer group had died. He was only 52. You always expect an older colleague of 70 or older to give up due to health or one dying but not your youngest one. A bit of a shock although we were not close. With little going on as regards meeting people I had not seen him since October. Now his funeral will be a short small affair as well.

What will this week bring? Clarity as regards the vaccines? Finally a unified action on a federal level as regards restrictions? Certainly a continuation of the lock down in Germany.

And Spring will come with comforting striding steps as the weather is getting warmer in the Rhine valley.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Have just read a report that the USA have vaccinated at least half of their adult population, we’re getting there. Fantastic. CA

I read this:

The U.S. has doled out over 209.4 million doses as of April 18, with 39.5% of the total population, 50.4% of adults and 81% of seniors at least partially vaccinated against the virus, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/04/18/50-of-us-adults-now-vaccinated-but-here-are-the-countries-doing-even-better/?sh=7c54c3a427dc 

Here is a direct CDC link: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations 

----------

I think our major issue is that we have a sizable group that have no desire to receive the vaccine. Right now, where I live, if anyone wants a vaccination - it is not difficult to find. I realize this is not true everywhere. In our area, they are now targeting college students and high school students over 16.

Edited by Coral

We will inevitably reach a point where only those adults who do not want a vaccine are without one. The brutal truth is that we will reach herd immunity with or without them  - if you get my point ... But to have vaccine induced herd immunity we need our children on board. Thankfully the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine is already available for 17 and 16 year olds. The trials for 12 to 15 year olds have also been "a success" so far.

notamermaid

• Like 1

@notamermaid, my sympathies for the loss of your colleague, much to young to pass.  

It's true, how you can sit and see the stats, but until you see the face behind them, they just don't seem real.  I remember the page one of the New York newspapers did with pictures and write ups of people who had passed from Covid..and that was only after a few months.  I have been lucky enough not to know anyone who has had Covid, let alone passed from it, but times can change so quickly.  We have lost friends & family through this, and had to watch the services for them online, but they died from either natural causes, or had cancer and fought a long time to survive, so it wasn't so shocking.  My cousin said the one good thing about the online services (which will hopefully remain after Covid) was that family from the Netherlands could watch and feel as if they were there.  His Uncles & Aunts would never have made it over due to their age, but they could go to their family's home to view the service and say their goodbye.  It made them feel as if they were part of it even if there was an ocean between.  

Ontario has now opened up the A-Z for those 40+, so am very glad our shots are today...we don't have many vaccines to start with (I have been on a waiting list since the beginning of the month), so add in another age group, and it would be crazy.  

• Like 1

I frankly don't get the angst about vaccine "passports" here in the US.  Change the name if it makes the naysayers feel better---"certificate", whatever.  There are places in this world for which certain inoculations are required before visiting, no one bats an eye about getting a malaria or typhus shot before going to certain places. 

This is a health care issue, not a political one.  I for one would welcome knowing that everyone on my river cruise or land tour has been vaccinated.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

I frankly don't get the angst about vaccine "passports" here in the US.  Change the name if it makes the naysayers feel better---"certificate", whatever.  There are places in this world for which certain inoculations are required before visiting, no one bats an eye about getting a malaria or typhus shot before going to certain places. 

This is a health care issue, not a political one.  I for one would welcome knowing that everyone on my river cruise or land tour has been vaccinated.  

I agree - I just don’t understand resistance to vaccinations, masks and passports. There is so much insanity on the news nowadays - when did things turn south so radically?

I believe that we (us citizens) won’t be welcome in many countries without proof of vaccination. So- those that refuse to comply with rules imposed by host countries will simply not be allowed entrance to these countries. Their country, their rules.

I enjoy traveling so I will be happy to procure a vaccine passport. 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

There is so much insanity on the news nowadays - when did things turn south so radically?

I blame it on Walter Cronkite.  He should never have died.  When he said, 'that's the way it is' everyone knew that that's the way it was!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I blame it on Walter Cronkite.  He should never have died.  When he said, 'that's the way it is' everyone knew that that's the way it was!

I just finished reading your blog from 2017 to Canada and New England.  You have some very nice pics of your journey.  It must be nice knowing where to Eat in Maine; like that diner with the pancakes.  You mention that you don't like the large ships and the Crown was too large for you.  I am confused by your comment that you won elite status for the rest of your cruise; and that there is a class system on Princess. You mentioned that you are going back to Celebrity and Azamara because they have the nice suite class;  isn't that the same thing as having a class system with Princess?  Cheers

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I just finished reading your blog from 2017 to Canada and New England.  You have some very nice pics of your journey.  It must be nice knowing where to Eat in Maine; like that diner with the pancakes.  You mention that you don't like the large ships and the Crown was too large for you.  I am confused by your comment that you won elite status for the rest of your cruise; and that there is a class system on Princess. You mentioned that you are going back to Celebrity and Azamara because they have the nice suite class;  isn't that the same thing as having a class system with Princess?  Cheers

I'm not opposed to a class system, as long as it is transparent and open to anyone who can qualify.  My dig at Princess was because there is a perception that Princess doesn't have any class system.  They do, so it shouldn't be used as a criticism of Celebrity or MSC.  [Azamara doesn't really have a class system – everybody gets the first-class treatment.]  My biggest complaint about Princess is that their class system doesn't go far enough:  suite passengers don't get a special high-end dining room or a private sun deck.

[Full disclosure:  when this trend to separate suite areas first started, I posted against it.  At that time, we were working our way up from Insides to Verandas and didn't appreciate how much more suite passengers are paying.  Now I think they should get more than just additional space – suite prices on mass market lines are as high as sailing on luxury lines, so suite passengers are paying for a luxury experience.]

I didn't keep or post a blog from our 2019 Celebrity Edge cruise in a Sky Suite.  We still enjoyed all the extra benefits of suite class, but we hated the new ship so much [and the 'promise' (threat) that all the other ships are going to be renovated with its bad ideas] that we have written Celebrity off.  We are now following through on the small-ships-only pledge with seven cruises currently booked:  Noble-Caledonia (3 cruises; 188, 95 &118 pax), Oceania (1; 1,250), AMA (1; 162), Scenic River (1; 124), Azamara (1; 702).  All these cruise lines have some minor added amenities for the top cabins but basically provide the same high level to everyone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Host Jazzbeau;  thanks for clarifying your answer.  I agree;  I think Celebrity Edge is ugly looking and would not want to sail on her. 

What's worse is how hard all the seating is.  You really wouldn't want to sit down on her!!!

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not opposed to a class system, as long as it is transparent and open to anyone who can qualify.  My dig at Princess was because there is a perception that Princess doesn't have any class system.  They do, so it shouldn't be used as a criticism of Celebrity or MSC.  [Azamara doesn't really have a class system – everybody gets the first-class treatment.]  My biggest complaint about Princess is that their class system doesn't go far enough:  suite passengers don't get a special high-end dining room or a private sun deck.

[Full disclosure:  when this trend to separate suite areas first started, I posted against it.  At that time, we were working our way up from Insides to Verandas and didn't appreciate how much more suite passengers are paying.  Now I think they should get more than just additional space – suite prices on mass market lines are as high as sailing on luxury lines, so suite passengers are paying for a luxury experience.]

I didn't keep or post a blog from our 2019 Celebrity Edge cruise in a Sky Suite.  We still enjoyed all the extra benefits of suite class, but we hated the new ship so much [and the 'promise' (threat) that all the other ships are going to be renovated with its bad ideas] that we have written Celebrity off.  We are now following through on the small-ships-only pledge with seven cruises currently booked:  Noble-Caledonia (3 cruises; 188, 95 &118 pax), Oceania (1; 1,250), AMA (1; 162), Scenic River (1; 124), Azamara (1; 702).  All these cruise lines have some minor added amenities for the top cabins but basically provide the same high level to everyone.

Haven't looked at Celebrity Edge so now I'm curious what they've done. We've been looking at an Oceania cruise for 2022 or 2023 but haven't quite had the nerve to bite the bullet. Those ships sure do look marvelous but we'd really like to do a Med cruise. So much goings on in the EU regarding when cruises will restart and if they'll be allowed in certain places they previously sailed to like Venice. I can appreciate the reasons for the concern in Venice but hate to book without knowing what's what.

3 hours ago, CoolNickname said:

Haven't looked at Celebrity Edge so now I'm curious what they've done. We've been looking at an Oceania cruise for 2022 or 2023 but haven't quite had the nerve to bite the bullet. Those ships sure do look marvelous but we'd really like to do a Med cruise. So much goings on in the EU regarding when cruises will restart and if they'll be allowed in certain places they previously sailed to like Venice. I can appreciate the reasons for the concern in Venice but hate to book without knowing what's what.

Be glad you've had the Venice sail-in experience [we did, and it was magical – but not so nice for those who live there...]  It's likely that smaller ships will continue to be able to do that for quite a while, given Italy's famous efficiency – so if you want to again, focus on Oceania's smaller ships [or Azamara's sister-ships], or even smaller ships such as the river cruises on CroisiEurope or Uniworld – they are small enough that they can dock right 'downtown' at San Basilio right on the Guidecca canal.

• Like 1

Enjoy I’d join a Tie Chai class if there wasn’t near. When my daughter started out as a personal trainer she started classes in her local park, the first one she was so worried that no one would turn up but she was nearly overwhelmed. Go trip the light fantastic! CA

Good morning🙂Jazz, is the Caledonia part of the "barge cruises"? Or European Waterways? I think I have heard the name before but cannot recall for sure.

As for Celebrity,  I sailed with them from 2003 to my last cruise with them in 2017.  I have heard both extremes in these more current times..  Some folks love the Edge Class ships while others? Not so much.   After over 40 cruises with them, I have not gone back.  I love the small ships too🙂 I had some life changing things happen and was able to jump from mass market to luxury and have never looked back. Silversea is my choice for Ocean Cruising and I have taken 2 river cruises, one of Uniworld and the other on AMA.  Love the intimacy, food, service, the entire ambiance of small vessels!

There is something to be said for the smaller ships.  As we age we really don't need the theme park experience.  Especially when I have a huge theme park and water park fifteen minutes from my home.  All the best to everyone out there