River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Week before last, I found an unexpected treasure in my attic. A packet of face masks! I had bought them a looong time ago to do some seriously dusty cleaning. It's a good job I have got them as from Monday wearing a face mask when shopping, etc. will be compulsory in Rhineland-Palatinate, too.

While death figures remain relatively low in Germany (in comparison), it is a tragic fact that we now have many more cases in care homes, too, which in line with the nature of the disease brings much distress and more bad outcomes to this older cohort of the population. Nursing homes now by law have to provide the ability to isolate and quarantine in their buildings in case it should become necessary.

Personally, I have had confirmation from my boss that I am still on "forced by the circumstances paid holiday" - if I want to put a positive spin on this.

This morning, Angela Merkel was again brutally honest with us. She said we are still at the beginning of the pandemic. She also said that life will remain hard for a long time. Well, brilliant(do not know the emoji for sarcasm) Nationally and internationally she gets mostly praise for her style, though, and generally information for the public is clear and coordinated. We still have that patchwork of measures over the 16 states, but it sort of works. What is good is that transport on the Rhine is constantly flowing with next to no restrictions. But I will tell you more about that in the thread on the Rhine.

I am humbled by the fact that we can still help other countries with equipment (the army sent 60 ventilators to the UK about two weeks ago) and politicians have announced more financial help through the EU "money pot" to other European countries. It hurts to see other countries being in such a bad state - and my frustration with UK officials is mounting, not least because I am worried about family and friends.

Wherever you are, look after yourselves, I want to speak to all of you again soon about your river cruising plans. 😃 

notamermaid

notamermaid;  thanks for the update on your country.  We in the USA are hopefully going to come out of isolation next week. Our President says the CDC wants to see two weeks in a row with numbers going down and positives going down.  We shall see. 

All I can say from my lock down is don’t believe everything you read. Between the journalists, civil servants, so called experts, politicians etc., you’d think were right up the creek without a paddle. Well we’re not. 

On to happier things we had a barge hired on the Canal de Nivernais in late May this year obviously that’s not happening but it’s now booked same time next year.

We arrived home from California at the beginning of March to all we met whilst touring your beautiful state keep well, we hope to return in the (fingers crossed) not to distant future.

There’s also all that river cruising to catch up on. CA

Canal archive;   our AMA cruise was cancelled for May 2020; we plan on booking it for May 2021.  This will be our first river cruise;  so we were bummed when this years cancelled;  now we have to wait a whole other year before we experience what everyone says is a wonderful experience.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:08 AM, Daisi said:

AF-1, the only thing wrong with river cruising is if you like them, they become addictive! 

They really are...so nice to be taken care of.  We do a lot of independent travel to Europe, so I enjoy a trip where I don't have to plan/think/worry.  No packing and unpacking.  And the spouse can go with the daily tour, and I can grab a bike and ride along the river, both of us happy.

Our foreign office still has the worldwide travel warning (advice against travel) in place, i.e. there is a substantial risk involved when travelling abroad. In this case either directly through Covid-19 or through the fact that you might not get back home. And the public has specifically been told that the government will not make any efforts to repatriate if you choose to travel now.

So, as regards tourism and the hospitality trade the situation is dire. Here is an article by Deutsche Welle on the situation in Germany and a few details of her neighbouring countries' plans to reopen: https://m.dw.com/en/dont-reopen-tourism-too-quickly-german-foreign-minister-warns/a-53250213 

notamermaid

Our foreign office still has the worldwide travel warning (advice against travel) in place, i.e. there is a substantial risk involved when travelling abroad. In this case either directly through Covid-19 or through the fact that you might not get back home. And the public has specifically been told that the government will not make any efforts to repatriate if you choose to travel now.

So, as regards tourism and the hospitality trade the situation is dire. Here is an article by Deutsche Welle on the situation in Germany and a few details of her neighbouring countries' plans to reopen: https://m.dw.com/en/dont-reopen-tourism-too-quickly-german-foreign-minister-warns/a-53250213 

notamermaid

I must say I wish Lufthansa would extend their rebooking rules. They are currently allowing flights only until April 30 2021, but we moved our Bike and Barge trip to September 2021. And it would seem Toronto to Frankfurt is a major route because there is little sign of cancellation, although Air Canada has cancelled one of their 2 flights on the day we were due to depart.

And although I have a trip to Africa booked for February 2021, I’m feeling pretty iffy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got a lovely email from one of the tour companies I will be using for a land trip in Portugal this fall, telling me that Portugal will begin opening for tourism in May.  This is wonderful news, and I hope it is the beginning of a wave that will sweep across Europe.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I just got a lovely email from one of the tour companies I will be using for a land trip in Portugal this fall, telling me that Portugal will begin opening for tourism in May.  This is wonderful news, and I hope it is the beginning of a wave that will sweep across Europe.

I am surprised at that.

Maybe because where I live (Midwest US), we haven't even peaked yet and probably won't until May.

Edited by Coral

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Oh I do hope that is right, as we have a trip booked to Spain and Portugal in late December and January.  Not a cruise, purely a land trip.

Unfortunately, being from Australia, I seriously doubt we will be allowed to fly to Europe, and certainly not with travel insurance, which pretty much makes it impossible.

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sounds promising indeed. It will be slow steps, varying from country to country. I reckon first domestic than slowly more individual travel. When we will get to coach tours and river cruises, who knows? In Germany, the states that are on eased restrictions, have tourism as far as the next ice cream parlour or a "bladder-safe day return trip", i.e. get home in good time or desperately try and find a public toilet or forest. No cafés, no restaurants. As regards leisure river traffic it is either "show off your luxury tiny yacht for two" or show off your muscles in a rowing boat" or "try and catch fish in the old river bed areas". As regards Summer holidays we have been told that we can forget buffet breakfast with 100 people in a large hotel. There are tentative steps to reopen a few museums in the East at the beginning of May.

Spain has only just let her children outdoors and Italy is barely managing more than some shops. It will be a long road ahead.

notamermaid

Hello all.  We are very cautiously optimistic here in Canada's capital city. With a population of 1.1 million we have 1,150 cases with most recovered or recovering. Deaths in Long Care Homes for seniors is heart breaking though. Still closed: government offices, businesses, construction, schools and universities, parks, restaurants etc. etc  Also still in place: Stay at Home mode and strict social distancing. According to reports we have 80 per cent compliance. This week our provincial government will announce new measures to ease restrictions expected to be economic related first and then social.

We have been in Stay at Home mode for 47 Days so far.  Yes, it  is difficult and each day adds to anxiety but we will stay the course I am sure. Like so many on this board we should have cruising on the Rhine/Danube in two weeks but it is what it is and there are brighter days ahead. Funny how we adjust, just a few weeks ago dinner was often hurried as we always had something to do or somewhere to go, now it is becoming the highlight of the day! LOL. Stay safe and healthy.

The US states that are reopening too early had better prepare themselves for the onslaught of illness and death that will inevitably come when the virus spikes again.

Despite what the lieutenant governor of Texas has said,  no, the economy is NOT more important than human life and we should NOT be sacrificing the old and weak at the altar of the $$$$$$$.

1 hour ago, Bake apple said:

We have been in Stay at Home mode for 47 Days so far.  Yes, it  is difficult and each day adds to anxiety but we will stay the course I am sure. Like so many on this board we should have cruising on the Rhine/Danube in two weeks but it is what it is and there are brighter days ahead. Funny how we adjust, just a few weeks ago dinner was often hurried as we always had something to do or somewhere to go, now it is becoming the highlight of the day! LOL. Stay safe and healthy.

Pretty much the same here in Toronto as in Ottawa. I begin my 7th week of working from home today, although I continue to only work 3 days per week. I live alone, which has not really been that difficult for me (I'm an introvert), but I find that I am busy doing other thing from home. I frequently have to rush my dinner because I have a sing-along session, or a course that I am taking, or a lecture. Other things that keep me busy are watching theatre performances; I'm grateful that most of those are available to stream over a period of time - if they weren't I would have problems scheduling them all. 😀

sharkster77,

that is the thing with the basic idea with the virus hitting the old and weak - it is too brutal to do in a society that wants to be compassionate. Mind you, people in Germany are now discussing easing restrictions as "we cannot save everyone", although it is more a question of human rights rather than money (yes, we do protest with posters, but no more than that, no violence). The added problem with it is - the idea is also flawed. 1. The more patients in hospital, the more likely it will hit medics (witness Italy, France, UK - do not know the situation in the US), 2. It has killed people in their 20's, 30's, 40's with no apparent underlying health conditions. What has happened here in Germany is that first, due to the danger of infections, post mortems were discouraged. Now scientists have gone back to encouraging post mortems. Pathologists have found out that younger patients who seemed healthy have turned out to have underlying health conditions they themselves did not know about. Another valuable puzzle to complete the picture of the nature of this virus.

I think easing restrictions if one sticks to social distancing can work. It is the all crucial reproduction rate.

We are doing okay in Germany, but it is fragile. There is no way we will be back to the society we had any time so, we have basically been told. If the rate goes up again, so will the restrictions. We have a scientist as boss, Angela Merkel has a doctorate in quantum chemistry.

notamermaid

Here in the Dayton Ohio area it is a beautiful spring day. Went out for a walk, talked with a neighbor, she in her driveway and I i the street.  We don't have sidewalks.  Since we have become so car orientated it is interesting to see how many have forgotten the "rules of the road" for walkers--walk against traffic.

An  interesting note to our cancelled barge trip, not only did Road Scholar refund all our money, so did United.  Got an email ouigo (sp.), the rail sompany we were using from Paris to Avignon.  They also refunded the cost of our tickets.

So go to hear from so many.  Pat

We started phase 1 reopening in KY. This involves allowing non-emergent health care services to be provided again, as well as PT/OT, optometry, and chiropractor visits. No elective surgeries permissible yet. Telehealth visits still being encouraged/stressed. My nurse and I must both wear masks and gloves, at a minimum, for each patient encounter. Anyone entering the office must wear a mask (unless under 2 years of age) and we must have the capacity to provide one if they don't have one. Only one parent and the child who is being seen, if at all possible. No waiting room. (not a big change for my office, since I don't have one)  Seeing many more families out walking, kids riding bikes. Allergy season is much less severe than normal, maybe because of no co-existing viruses?

The next few weeks will be interesting here. Those who are the most antsy are those who are most at risk (the elderly)

Robin