How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

Just now, NSWP said:

'Industrial Deafness.'   I have it too from riding motorcycles for 14 yrs, all day every day, engine noise, sirens, radios and poor helmets in the early days with little noise protection, also can you believe in he early days, no ear protection at range practice?  True.

I can believe about no hearing protection on the range, I was at range exercises with 25 FN C1A1 assault rifles on the firing line firing at random, interesting that in that situation you can't hear the actual report of the weapon just the click of the action. Also volleys with blank rounds for ceremonial purposes and don't forget the 12 pound field pieces with black powder charges. Then of course I made a career in the woodwork shop (I did and do wear hearing protection there)

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I can believe about no hearing protection on the range, I was at range exercises with 25 FN C1A1 assault rifles on the firing line firing at random, interesting that in that situation you can't hear the actual report of the weapon just the click of the action. Also volleys with blank rounds for ceremonial purposes and don't forget the 12 pound field pieces with black powder charges. Then of course I made a career in the woodwork shop (I did and do wear hearing protection there)

I am talking about the 60's and 70's Lyle, then along came the ear protectors because of Work Health and Safety, which was virtually unheard of here before the 1970's. So in my case it was the combination of different noise impacts that caused the industrial deafness.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am talking about the 60's and 70's Lyle, then along came the ear protectors because of Work Health and Safety, which was virtually unheard of here before the 1970's.

Les I was in Sea Cadets from 1973 thru 1978 and was a shooting instructor for 2 years after that. I've been a professional woodworker for 42 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We aren't pensioners. We are self-funded retirees, although we do have the Seniors' Health Card. I don't know the situation now, but when I enquired previously, I was told that the free hearing aids would not be suitable for me because of the nature of my hearing loss. It is similar to industrial deafness, but not caused by a working environment. I have aids that have 16 different channels that are set for my hearing loss at that many different frequencies. However, when I need new aids, I will enquire again.

I received the Basic hearing aid, however it was very basic. After 3 years I applied the cost of the basic aid to purchase a upgrade. It still does not have all the "bells and whistles" that you describe.

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I received the Basic hearing aid, however it was very basic. After 3 years I applied the cost of the basic aid to purchase a upgrade. It still does not have all the "bells and whistles" that you describe.

The audiologist said that if I was a pensioner I could do what you did - apply the (I think it was) $600 towards the cost of a device that would suit my needs.

If a hearing aid is to be much help to me, it has to have the different channels - probably a minimum of 10. My aids also have 'wind noise reduction' (great) and a reduction of background noise (great). I can also change the setting either by touching a tiny button (too fiddly) or by using a small hand-held remote. For instance, if I am in a restaurant on board ship, I change the setting from 'all around' to 'restaurant' so the noise behind me is even more reduced. Using the same device, I can increase the volume. 

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

The audiologist said that if I was a pensioner I could do what you did - apply the (I think it was) $600 towards the cost of a device that would suit my needs.

If a hearing aid is to be much help to me, it has to have the different channels - probably a minimum of 10. My aids also have 'wind noise reduction' (great) and a reduction of background noise (great). I can also change the setting either by touching a tiny button (too fiddly) or by using a small hand-held remote. For instance, if I am in a restaurant on board ship, I change the setting from 'all around' to 'restaurant' so the noise behind me is even more reduced. Using the same device, I can increase the volume. 

My new aid is also controlled by a app on my smartphone. Very handy. I also have a unit that connects to my TV and like Lyle's, it also connects to my mobile. They are getting better all the time. The old ones were hopeless, but the new one, I wear all the time and hardly notice them.

17 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

My new aid is also controlled by a app on my smartphone. Very handy. I also have a unit that connects to my TV and like Lyle's, it also connects to my mobile. They are getting better all the time. The old ones were hopeless, but the new one, I wear all the time and hardly notice them.

My aids could be controlled by app on my phone, but I don't have a phone with me most of the time.🙂

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I didn't know about your marksman history but am familiar with woodwork "toys". My father was a master builder and even after he retired he had a full workshop in our garage. There wasn't much room for the car! 

My father is a retired building and still has his extra large garage set up with a workshop in the back half. Two vehicles fit in, only because the garage size. Dad, at 90 still spends a fair amount of time in his workshop, making sure the tools are in good condition and pottering around.

Leigh

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My father is a retired building and still has his extra large garage set up with a workshop in the back half. Two vehicles fit in, only because the garage size. Dad, at 90 still spends a fair amount of time in his workshop, making sure the tools are in good condition and pottering around.

Leigh

I think my Dad still had a lot of his tools up until the time he had to go into a rest home when he was 90. My brother, who had followed Dad into the trade, got all the tools. 

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think my Dad still had a lot of his tools up until the time he had to go into a rest home when he was 90. My brother, who had followed Dad into the trade, got all the tools. 

I'm not sure what will happen to Dad's tools when he is no longer with us, no-one in the family would really use them. I remember talking to Dad about them and he said to have a garage sale.

Leigh

45 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I'm not sure what will happen to Dad's tools when he is no longer with us, no-one in the family would really use them. I remember talking to Dad about them and he said to have a garage sale.

Leigh

Leigh, how are things with you in Victoria?

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Leigh, how are things with you in Victoria?

We are fine thank you. Just going to shops once a week if we can and for a walk when the weather is ok to do so. The lockdown hasn't really affected us too much. It's the getting used to wearing a mask when out which I found the hardest.

We do miss seeing our children and grandchildren.,We haven't seen our two grandsons or their parents for a few months now, except by video calls. Our son and his family live within waking distance of our house so they come past and we talk through the window while they are out on the footpath although the two little girls do come into the front garden to speak to us. We try and keep up with friends and family by phone and social media. We have family in four states who don't expect to see for some time and haven't seen since last year. 

I'm really looking forward to going out for a meal, even for a coffee would be wonderful.

Hope all is well with you in QLD.

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

We are fine thank you. Just going to shops once a week if we can and for a walk when the weather is ok to do so. The lockdown hasn't really affected us too much. It's the getting used to wearing a mask when out which I found the hardest.

We do miss seeing our children and grandchildren.,We haven't seen our two grandsons or their parents for a few months now, except by video calls. Our son and his family live within waking distance of our house so they come past and we talk through the window while they are out on the footpath although the two little girls do come into the front garden to speak to us. We try and keep up with friends and family by phone and social media. We have family in four states who don't expect to see for some time and haven't seen since last year. 

I'm really looking forward to going out for a meal, even for a coffee would be wonderful.

Hope all is well with you in QLD.

Leigh

Good to hear you're doing OK, Leigh.

Going out for a coffee, or having lunch out at our favourite Asian eateries, were the two things I really missed during the initial Sydney lockdown. We've got a perfectly good espresso machine at home but having coffee out always seems a little better. 

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Good to hear you're doing OK, Leigh.

Going out for a coffee, or having lunch out at our favourite Asian eateries, were the two things I really missed during the initial Sydney lockdown. We've got a perfectly good espresso machine at home but having coffee out always seems a little better. 

Thanks Julie. Having coffee out will seem like a luxury when we can finally visit a cafe and actually sit down to enjoy it. If we have a medical app or have to go to the chemist we will usually buy a coffee to bring home. We too have a perfectly good coffee machine sitting on the kitchen bench, 

Leigh

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Julie. Having coffee out will seem like a luxury when we can finally visit a cafe and actually sit down to enjoy it. If we have a medical app or have to go to the chemist we will usually buy a coffee to bring home. We too have a perfectly good coffee machine sitting on the kitchen bench, 

Leigh

We used to pick up short blacks at our cafe and drink them while "admiring" the small communal herb garden between the cafe and our butcher. That was probably bending the takeaway rules a little but it doesn't take long to drink a short black.🤣

I had a hot chocolate from our local cafe just now as I had already had my one coffee for the day. I am looking forward to warmer weather as our suburb is one of those which has three level crossings removed, a new station and community spaces built which we haven’t been able to wander through yet. Except walking from a  car park to the shop. 

Leigh

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

I had a hot chocolate from our local cafe just now as I had already had my one coffee for the day. I am looking forward to warmer weather as our suburb is one of those which has three level crossings removed, a new station and community spaces built which we haven’t been able to wander through yet. Except walking from a  car park to the shop. 

Leigh

You guys are really locked down Leigh, it was never like that down here, clubs closed just for a couple of weeks, but most cafes and restaurants stayed open with social distancing, reduced capacities. All open and full on on now, but almost no tourists.  It will be strange when I go down to Merimbula, Eden way on the weekend for a few days R&R,  normally full of Victorians, but not now, no border crossing.

• Like 1

Very strange here in Melbourne

My situation a little different as I am staying with family, not at my own home. So I can’t see the water everyday. I really do miss the water.

Keep feeling like I am  breaching the distance rules as I am 5.2kms from home.  

Some of It is similar to last lockdown.  Places only doing takeaway or deliveries, just about everything else closed. The curfew is odd, as are the patrols checking on people .

Not pleasant 

Edited by Docker123

11 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

My situation a little different as I am staying with family, not at my own home. So I can’t see the water everyday. I really do miss the water.

Some of It is similar to last lockdown.  Places only doing takeaway or deliveries, just about everything else closed. The curfew is odd, as are the patrols checking on people .

Not pleasant 

Not pleasant at all Adrian, like living under the Communists, almost.  The clubs, restaurants down here are all open for in house dining as I said, but also doing takeaways and home deliveries.  Hardly any tourists and most of the locals, even though they can go out, hardly ever go out anyway, even in normal times.  I am an exception, I still go to the golf club a couple of times a week for a meal and a bevvy.

I feel for you all down there, stay safe.

Edited by NSWP

There are some positives going on, at different levels.

The Teddy bear trail from last time seems to have been replaced by Spoonvilles.  Kids enjoy seeing them and contributing more spoons in their local areas.

In Williamstown, one of the restaurants had a kitchen fire. Put them out of action. However, a couple of yacht clubs offered their cold stores that night to save the food. Now the restaurant is operating a delivery using a yacht club kitchen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Not pleasant 

But sadly necessary, given the number of fines the police are handing out every night to people who think the curfew doesn't apply to them. 

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

The Teddy bear trail from last time seems to have been replaced by Spoonvilles.  Kids enjoy seeing them and contributing more spoons in their local areas.

In Williamstown, one of the restaurants had a kitchen fire. Put them out of action. However, a couple of yacht clubs offered their cold stores that night to save the food. Now the restaurant is operating a delivery using a yacht club kitchen.

Very innovative, one way to survive all this.

3 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Businesses helping each other is nothing new. Many years ago a distant cousin ran ETA, they had a major fire lost most of their stock, much of their production line and all of their storage, that was on a Saturday night, by Monday morning, he could have been back in full swing, as opposition companies flooded him with offers of storage, materials and even use of production lines.

and many would be shocked at how often a club and ir pub will lend each other alcohol if one runs low, RSL “we have run out of Old” Pub “how many kegs do you need to get through the weekend?”

It helps restore your confidence in mankind.

• Like 1