How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

I don’t remember Spanish flu being taught in school.

We learnt a lot about the Dutch explorers, even about the English sailor William Dampier, a some mention of a bloke called Cook.  I believe he was a convict or something in Sydney.

C Y O’Connor was a big historic figure. Perth to Kalgoorlie pipeline.  

Lots of really important Western Australian history.

My first 4 years was with Irish nuns.  Not much teaching about the English kings and queens. Then off to the brothers, and I know they were not good teachers.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I was surprised to hear an interview from Sweden, where they had less restrictions than most countries, that they had always to wear masks on public transport.  Common sense really.  Hard to keep 1.5 meters apart on public transport.

I heard they have been going for herd immunity, but unfortunately no one told the virus that and it keeps one jump ahead by constantly mutating .😷

3 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Things are picking up here, I get my hearing aids in 2 weeks time so I will be able to hear you lot better. 🙂

I went in to have my hearing re-test on Friday and it was determined that my hearing aids aren't working correctly so my new hearing aids will be here on the 31st of August.🙂 Mine are covered by WorkSafe BC so I get them free for the rest of my life.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I went in to have my hearing re-test on Friday and it was determined that my hearing aids aren't working correctly so my new hearing aids will be here on the 31st of August.🙂 Mine are covered by WorkSafe BC so I get them free for the rest of my life.

Is that because your hearing loss was attributed to your working conditions?

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Too many years working around noisy equipment?

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Is that because your hearing loss was attributed to your working conditions?

Yes I have been having annual hearing tests at work going back 20 years. About 5 years ago WorkSafe called me over to their Vancouver facility, they paid for the return flight and cab fares and a meal allowance plus my lost wages for the day. They tested my hearing and I walked out with the voucher for the hearing aids. I stopped at the hearing aid shop on the way home and I think I had them in less than a week. That was 5 1/2 years ago and it time for the new latest thing. These new ones will link to my phone by blue tooth.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes I have been having annual hearing tests at work going back 20 years. About 5 years ago WorkSafe called me over to their Vancouver facility, they paid for the return flight and cab fares and a meal allowance plus my lost wages for the day. They tested my hearing and I walked out with the voucher for the hearing aids. I stopped at the hearing aid shop on the way home and I think I had them in less than a week. That was 5 1/2 years ago and it time for the new latest thing. These new ones will link to my phone by blue tooth.

Impressive!

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Too many years working around noisy equipment?

When I was in Sea Cadets I was an active marksman. I don't do any shooting anymore, I gave my rifle to my nephew (he in the Canadian Army) Then of course I work in a woodwork shop with plenty of noisy toys. Planers, Jointers and Shapers are all noisy and I specialize in the work that requires those machines. We have one shaper in particular that I'm the only guy that knows how to set it up.

42 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

When I was in Sea Cadets I was an active marksman. I don't do any shooting anymore, I gave my rifle to my nephew (he in the Canadian Army) Then of course I work in a woodwork shop with plenty of noisy toys. Planers, Jointers and Shapers are all noisy and I specialize in the work that requires those machines. We have one shaper in particular that I'm the only guy that knows how to set it up.

I didn't know about your marksman history but am familiar with woodwork "toys". My father was a master builder and even after he retired he had a full workshop in our garage. There wasn't much room for the car! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Great that the cost of your hearing aids is covered by WorkSafe. I have used hearing aids for around 15 or so years. I was stunned at the cost - $9,950 for the first ones, then $7,700 for my second set. There was only $600 rebate on the first ones under health insurance, and nothing on the later ones. Needless to say, I made the first set last longer than the company recommends and will do the same with my current ones.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Great that the cost of your hearing aids is covered by WorkSafe. I have used hearing aids for around 15 or so years. I was stunned at the cost - $9,950 for the first ones, then $7,700 for my second set. There was only $600 rebate on the first ones under health insurance, and nothing on the later ones. Needless to say, I made the first set last longer than the company recommends and will do the same with my current ones.

Wow that is expensive. My wife paid about $5,600.00 for hers and my mother in law just paid for hers and they were $6,000.00 

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Wow that is expensive. My wife paid about $5,600.00 for hers and my mother in law just paid for hers and they were $6,000.00 

I am talking Aussie dollars, but I realise that only make a small amount of difference. When I went for my second set of hearing aids, another audiology centre quoted $12,500. ☹️I didn't buy from them.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The Australian Government provides the basic hearing aid free to certain citizens, including those with a Pensioner concession card. I believe it was introduced into law when our PM, Little Johnny Howard was in charge. He has hearing loss himself.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am talking Aussie dollars, but I realise that only make a small amount of difference. When I went for my second set of hearing aids, another audiology centre quoted $12,500. ☹️I didn't buy from them.

This is worth watching if you are looking into hearing aids:

Hearing Clinics: Had It Up To Hear

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

'Industrial Deafness.'   I have it too from riding motorcycles for 14 yrs, all day every day, road noise, motorcycle engine noise, sirens, radios and poor helmets in the early days with little noise protection, also can you believe in the early days, no ear protection at range practice?  True.  I have about 30% hearing loss but don't wear a hearing aid, like Lyle I could get them gratis, through Workers Compensation,  but don't bother.

My wife said I had selective hearing, I chose what to hear and not what to hear, allegedly many males are like that, correct ladies? 😬

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The Australian Government provides the basic hearing aid free to certain citizens, including those with a Pensioner concession card. I believe it was introduced into law when our PM, Little Johnny Howard was in charge. He has hearing loss himself.

We aren't pensioners. We are self-funded retirees, although we do have the Seniors' Health Card. I don't know the situation now, but when I enquired previously, I was told that the free hearing aids would not be suitable for me because of the nature of my hearing loss. It is similar to industrial deafness, but not caused by a working environment. I have aids that have 16 different channels that are set for my hearing loss at that many different frequencies. However, when I need new aids, I will enquire again.

• Like 1